Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Open Work Permit for Spouse ON my Student Visa

Open Work Permit for Spouse ON my Student Visa

Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

ashish.lko is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Open Work Permit for Spouse ON my Student Visa

Hi,

I am planning to apply for Student Permit for myself..At present I am working as Project Manager (IT) and intend to a CPL training from Canada. I have travelled to Canada 3-4 times in past and I also have a live Visitior Visa.

I want to apply an Open Work Permit for my Spouse.. She would be doing Odd Jobs in Canada, whatever she can lay her hands on.. I have following questions which even after exensive search I couldn't find an answer on CIC site :

1. if I am travelling on Student permit then what Visa my spouse will be travelling on?

2. Will she have to get Work Permit processed initially or she will travel on WHAT? I have no clue... She can't travel on Visitor because it is only for 6 months and she is not a STUDENT.. So what Visa she will get initially...?

3. And how she will get her OPEN Work Permit? If we apply together then I fear there might be some problem in my Student Permit?

4. How do we make Open Work Permit Application for her? Does it have to be a seperate application?

I really appreciate help extended by all of you.. Thanks in advance..
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:33 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Open Work Permit for Spouse ON my Student Visa

Originally Posted by ashish.lko
1. if I am travelling on Student permit then what Visa my spouse will be travelling on?
You will not travel on any study or work permit as such don't authorize entry or re-entry to Canada. You must have a valid TRV (visitor visa) in addition to your study permit.

2. Will she have to get Work Permit processed initially or she will travel on WHAT? I have no clue... She can't travel on Visitor because it is only for 6 months and she is not a STUDENT.. So what Visa she will get initially...?
See answer to the previous question. And you must include your spouse's open work permit application together with your study permit application.

3. And how she will get her OPEN Work Permit? If we apply together then I fear there might be some problem in my Student Permit?
See above. It is quite opposite - if you don't include her application for WP with your SP application then she will have less than 5% chances to get it later.

4. How do we make Open Work Permit Application for her? Does it have to be a seperate application?
Just standard work permit application and fee.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

ashish.lko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Open Work Permit for Spouse ON my Student Visa

Thank You very much Andrew.. This has really clarified lot of confusion that I was having regarding Work Permit and Student Permit.. I really appreciate your help..
:-)

Last edited by ashish.lko; Jul 25th 2007 at 10:15 pm.