Open Work Permit Renewal?

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about
Default Open Work Permit Renewal?

Hi, I am from England and for my sins have done a spousal inland application to Canada. I am at AIP stage, and received my first open work permit 15th January this year. I still haven't received my PR card so will have to renew the work permit so that I can apply for another SIN card on 14th January 2010. My first one took 3 months to process but I would imagine, like OHIP, this is standard for first time, but hoping not so for renewal!!

Has anyone here had experience of having to renew an open work permit and if so could you please give me an indication of how long it might take for CIC to process?

Thanks
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:16 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open Work Permit Renewal?

Submit your application now (assuming you are working). Although the PR should be completed shortly and make it unnecessary.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Karen1203
Hi, I am from England and for my sins have done a spousal inland application to Canada. I am at AIP stage, and received my first open work permit 15th January this year. I still haven't received my PR card so will have to renew the work permit so that I can apply for another SIN card on 14th January 2010. My first one took 3 months to process but I would imagine, like OHIP, this is standard for first time, but hoping not so for renewal!!

Has anyone here had experience of having to renew an open work permit and if so could you please give me an indication of how long it might take for CIC to process?

Thanks
Time to process a TWP extension was standing at 86 days a few weeks ago, CIC website has some timelines
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

I have got a lawyer, and she has held off making the application for extension because she has been saying I should have well had my PR card by now, but from what I have experienced so far here in Canada I was starting to get a little nervious about it, if there is an 86 day wait though looks like I am going to be out of a job!!!

Thanks for the responses

Karen
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I have got a lawyer, and she has held off making the application for extension because she has been saying I should have well had my PR card by now, but from what I have experienced so far here in Canada I was starting to get a little nervious about it, if there is an 86 day wait though looks like I am going to be out of a job!!!

Thanks for the responses

Karen
Why not ask your lawyer?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Thanks for the responses

Karen
If you have applied for an extension, you have implied status, you keep working but do not leave the country. I once trusted in my HR and Lawyers, but not more.......
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:05 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It is a little surprising that your PR application is not yet finalized. To be cautious I would submit an application for extension of the open WP now and I would think you can continue to work while the extension or PR apps are finalized.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why not ask your lawyer?
Because every question costs more and more money! My lawyer has already completed the forms for the extension but they haven't been submitted yet in the hopes that the PR would be finalised, my lawyer also cannot believe it has taken this long. She did say that I would have implied status once the application went in but my employer has been asking about my Social Insurance Card as that also expires and I am aware the Service Canada will not issue a new one without the work permit.

Thanks again
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

vancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura about

I renewed an Open Work permit about 10 months ago and it took about 30 days. Once you have applied then you are on implied status and can continue to work so that's not a concern. The worst aspect is that, I'm guessing, your Care Card will expire which means that you are not covered for medical expenses.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vancouverism
I renewed an Open Work permit about 10 months ago and it took about 30 days. Once you have applied then you are on implied status and can continue to work so that's not a concern. The worst aspect is that, I'm guessing, your Care Card will expire which means that you are not covered for medical expenses.
A lot has happened in the last 10 months - indeed the back of the work permit says at least 30 days, in reality and on the CIC website its 80+ days
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

vancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura about

Fair point-but I submitted my application to the "New Employer" office wich has a current timeline of 27 days. I guess from CIC's point of view most Open Work Permit extensions are a formality since they are linked to another Permit (or application) which has already been checked out.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 10:17 am

Yes - don't mix up open permit times with sponsored spousal open WP processing times.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Yes - don't mix up open permit times with sponsored spousal open WP processing times.
Thanks Jim, yes I think there is a difference ... I am mostly concerned about the inabilty to renew the SIN card ... I dont have any medical coverage other than OHIP - I have everything to renew that.