Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Open work permit for dependent at POE

Open work permit for dependent at POE

Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Brijesh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open work permit for dependent at POE

Hi All,

Let me first thank all the people who are behind creating this great site for discussions.

Here's my story:

My wife got invited from University of Calgary for MS studies. We applied for student visa and I was included as dependent spouse.

3 days back we got our TRV's stamped on our passports (Valid for 2 years-multiple entry). and also there is a letter from Canadian high commission that my wife needs to show to the officer at POE in order to get her STUDY PERMIT.

I understand that, if she gets her study permit at POE then I am eligible to apply for OPEN WORK PERMIT at POE. Kindly confirm.

As I do not have any letter from Canadian High commission to show to the officer, what is the procedure to apply & get my open work permit at POE? What documentation is required for the same? Is it bit risky to apply for open work permit at POE?

Could you be so kind to advice me in this regards.

Thanking you in advance,

Brijesh
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:33 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open work permit for dependent at POE

Hi

Originally Posted by Brijesh

Hi All,

Let me first thank all the people who are behind creating this great site for discussions.

Here's my story:

My wife got invited from University of Calgary for MS studies. We applied for student visa and I was included as dependent spouse.

3 days back we got our TRV's stamped on our passports (Valid for 2 years-multiple entry). and also there is a letter from Canadian high commission that my wife needs to show to the officer at POE in order to get her STUDY PERMIT.

I understand that, if she gets her study permit at POE then I am eligible to apply for OPEN WORK PERMIT at POE. Kindly confirm.

As I do not have any letter from Canadian High commission to show to the officer, what is the procedure to apply & get my open work permit at POE? What documentation is required for the same? Is it bit risky to apply for open work permit at POE?

Could you be so kind to advice me in this regards.

Thanking you in advance,

Brijesh
You apply at the POE at the same time as your wife gets her study permit. You don't need any letter, just proof that the study permit is for an institution that meets the requirements:

# Spouses
Spouses and common-law partners of certain foreign workers and of certain foreign students who are currently studying or working under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program

* Spouses of certain foreign students may obtain a work permit without having to obtain a labour market opinion from HRSDC. This exemption applies to spouses who are not themselves enrolled in full-time studies.
* Eligibility criteria: To be allowed to work in this category, you must prove that you are the spouse of a student who holds a valid student permit and who is studying full time at a post-secondary institution—a university, a community college, a CEGEP, a technical or school of commercial studies—that is financed by the private or public sector and authorized by provincial law to award university degrees.

There is no risk as long as your spouse is studying as per the above.