Open work Permit

Old Jun 15th 2020, 9:14 am
Just Joined

SmallTotem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open work Permit

Hi everyone

Not applied yet but am aiming to do so under Spouse/Common Law. I am Canadian living in SW england with my partner. I am going to apply once my MBA is finished next spring or just before. (Back to BC)
I am aware that we can apply in Canada and he can apply for open work permit at the same time. We have built up substantial savings and could easily afford to live for 1-1.5 years with so we are weighing up the two options, applying in or out of canada. Obvs the longer we stay here we continue to build savings but I would be looking to work within 3 months in BC. so it could be swings and roudabouts tbf.

He is a qualified joiner, carpenter HGV driver and had lived and worked in the US for 15 years we both understand the job markets.
Does anyone have any experience of applying for PR within canada? do the timescales differ all that much?

And if we went back (him as visitor) would he be able to gain long enough entry for open work permit to be granted (aware its normally 6 months for visitors visa)
what about goods to follow etc or is this presented at 'landing interview'?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 15th 2020, 12:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open work Permit

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Applying inland is normally for those already living in Canada, tbh I can't see any reason why you'd consider it if you can apply outland now? Trying to enter Canada as a visitor with a Canadian spouse is risky, an immi officer may well refuse him entry as it could be suspected (rightly, it seems) that he is trying to live in Canada without a valid visa. He could apply under 'dual intent', but that only applies *after* an application has been submitted, and not before.

Have a good read of the this thread - Visiting Canada under Dual Intent / Intending Inland sponsorship - please read

And the Wiki (https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...nd_application) to understand how it may not be a good idea to apply inland. Tbh, in your situation, I'd just apply now via outland and move with PR in place.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 15th 2020 at 12:14 pm.