Open Work Permit

Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open Work Permit

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Thank you SO much - so helpful as always !! Not sure how we get around the nearly 19 year old though!! Would they lock the application if we applied when he was still 18 would you know so he would still get on our visa even though he would be 19 when we arrived in Canada?

If not, I have no idea how to get around that one........there is always something!!
Yes, they would, age is 'locked in' at the time of application. But it's going to be very tricky to even apply for any visa before January. A PNP nomination normally takes around 8-12 weeks, and there's quite a bit of paperwork to get done first.

LMIA's can be faster, but it depends on the salary and job as to whether it qualifies for 10 day processing, most LMIA's don't and can take around 3-4 months. Until you have either the LMIA or PNP nomination, you can't apply for a visa.

So I'm not sure you'll have anything before January to 'lock in' anyway, sorry, but I think you'll need to be prepared for him having to make his own way over on his own visa if he wants to join you, unless by any chance you get offered a job asap and can get a LMIA processed under the 10 day expedited processing.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, they would, age is 'locked in' at the time of application. But it's going to be very tricky to even apply for any visa before January. A PNP nomination normally takes around 8-12 weeks, and there's quite a bit of paperwork to get done first.

LMIA's can be faster, but it depends on the salary and job as to whether it qualifies for 10 day processing, most LMIA's don't and can take around 3-4 months. Until you have either the LMIA or PNP nomination, you can't apply for a visa.

So I'm not sure you'll have anything before January to 'lock in' anyway, sorry, but I think you'll need to be prepared for him having to make his own way over on his own visa if he wants to join you, unless by any chance you get offered a job asap and can get a LMIA processed under the 10 day expedited processing.
There is always something !! I will start looking in to alternative options then for him. I guess student visas or something will fall into place !! Thanks again!! Couldn't have got this far without you !
Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't get it all in place to apply for PR by January, would it perhaps be worth your while to wait until later in 2017 when the proposed change to the age of dependants is made?

Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you can't get it all in place to apply for PR by January, would it perhaps be worth your while to wait until later in 2017 when the proposed change to the age of dependants is made?

Yes, that's an excellent idea. The problem that we have (and I am sure everyone in the same boat has) is that we can't just up and leave the UK as we do have schools and colleges, not to mention a home to find.

Both employers calling me are aware of that and they seem keen which is great and I am very lucky that I am at a very high level in my industry with many years experience and knowledge (typically though it is an industry I never needed a degree for!), so out of my husband and I, it looks like there is more chance of me getting snapped up for work quicker than him.

So, I am going to go for it if I get offered and accept a job to see if the paperwork can be put in place in time before Jan and hope that we can move in time before the visa expires (no idea what time limit you get), just in case they do not up the age, but if it doesn't work out then will hold tight to see if they do. I am a firm believer in what will be, will be!

It's all happening rather fast with work interest. I hadn't prepared for that!!
Old Nov 16th 2016, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

IELTS isn't mandatory for skilled applicants that apply via the PNP, so that would save you a job too.
This is wrong. If you want to use Express Entry then you need English/French language skills assessed. If you don't have them assessed and want to use PNP, you can use the old PNP stream which has 16 month processing time.

Furthermore, BC PNP requires assessment of English if you are working in (or have a job offer for) a NOC B position.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 6:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
This is wrong. If you want to use Express Entry then you need English/French language skills assessed. If you don't have them assessed and want to use PNP, you can use the old PNP stream which has 16 month processing time.
It's not wrong then eh?! Maybe I should have clarified my statement, but the OP can choose to avoid IELTS if she wishes. A lot of people do a paper based app if they have a 2 or 3 year work permit for precisely that reason i.e. to avoid having to get an IELTS result, or an ECA etc. The OP can make a decision if/when she gets to that point.

Furthermore, BC PNP requires assessment of English if you are working in (or have a job offer for) a NOC B position.
The OP's job is Level A, so even if the potential job offers are in BC (she's not said where they are unless I've missed it?), it's not necessary for that.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 16th 2016 at 10:29 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the clarifications. My job title as per NOC Falls under level A but I've been looking in to see if I can actually go to a 0 because I'm at an executive level. Basically I'm classed as a performers agent by NOC but my role here is company director and my potential job offers are on an executive level.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

I've just seen this on the BC PNP site, so it looks at a Level A, I will not need to take the tests. Not sure about processing though!

If you are registering and/or applying with a job offer in a National Occupational Classification Skill Level 0 or A occupation, you are not required to submit valid language test results.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 10:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I've just seen this on the BC PNP site, so it looks at a Level A, I will not need to take the tests. Not sure about processing though!

If you are registering and/or applying with a job offer in a National Occupational Classification Skill Level 0 or A occupation, you are not required to submit valid language test results.
No you don't need to - only if you want your application to be processed under Express Entry. So it's really up to you, the processing time will be quicker, but you'll have to get things like your ECA and IELTS, so it's your call as to which is better for you personally.

If you're classed as an 'O' Skill Level, and your get a LMIA for that, then it will get you more points under the CRS for your job offer, but if you're going to try for PNP, then it won't make any difference.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not wrong then eh?! Maybe I should have clarified my statement, but the OP can choose to avoid IELTS if she wishes. A lot of people do a paper based app if they have a 2 or 3 year work permit for precisely that reason i.e. to avoid having to get an IELTS result, or an ECA etc. The OP can make a decision if/when she gets to that point.
Right but you also mentioned being in the pool in the same post which implies Express Entry.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

No you don't need to - only if you want your application to be processed under Express Entry. So it's really up to you, the processing time will be quicker, but you'll have to get things like your ECA and IELTS, so it's your call as to which is better for you personally.
Page 14 of the BC PNP guide (in the section Skills Immigration, so not Express Entry) states

If you are registering and/or applying with a job offer in a NOC Skill Level B, C or D occupation, you
must submit valid language test results showing you have obtained a minimum score equal to or
greater than a benchmark 4 under the Canadian Language Benchmark 2000 (CLB) in all four
competencies: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Page 14 of the BC PNP guide (in the section Skills Immigration, so not Express Entry) states
I totally agree - but the OP wouldn't be applying under those Skill Levels.

HTH.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks both for the help. My work has suffered this week after reading and learning so much from you guys on here and doing my own research! I would probably be bankrupt by now if I had to research everything on my own!

On the subject of money, and this one that really is confusing me. I have read that you need to show sufficient funds in your account when you apply after a job offer and they have to be in the account for six months but also that you don't. What happens, as in my potential case, if you have only decided to make the commitment to apply to move to Canada literally a few days ago, there is a very high chance of accepting a job offer which could make things move as quickly as will be allowed to issue the visa and that the money (I believe it equates to around £20k) has been in your account but then partly spent, then put back etc etc (general day to day living). I know I read that you can't show them that your house is up for sale and that the money you would get back on that is completely irrelevant as they would automatically decline you. I have money elsewhere, but its all tied up, so doubt I could use that as evidence.

On the BC PNP application document for which you have to send your letter of employment and all other details, it requests proof of funds.

Oh how I wish I was Canadian - it would be so much simpler !
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

On the subject of money, and this one that really is confusing me. I have read that you need to show sufficient funds in your account when you apply after a job offer and they have to be in the account for six months but also that you don't.
Depends on the visa route (sorry, not much use I know!). Most don't require proof of funds if you have a confirmed job offer though, and it's worth noting that you CAN use equity in your property if you are applying via the London visa office (it's the only visa office that does allow it).

Oh how I wish I was Canadian - it would be so much simpler !
Then you might be trying to move to the UK, and that's even more complicated from what I can gather!
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Ah ha! Ok, that's very useful ! Thank you ! There is so much info to take in ! I guess the 'normal' way of doing it would be to take your time and research!! Life doesn't always move like that though ! I'm still debating which visa ! This forum has been a life line (especially you!)

Then you might be trying to move to the UK, and that's even more complicated from what I can gather! [/QUOTE]

Is it really ?! Wow, I would have thought it would have been easier ! You literally learn something new every day !

Last edited by Victoria34; Nov 17th 2016 at 1:46 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.