Open Work Permit

Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Open Work Permit

Hi all

I have had a wealth of info regarding where to live, moving with a near 19 year old and help with the Express profile on another part of this forum for which I am eternally grateful, but thought I would put this next query on the right part of the forum

I have been applying on part of my husband who is a skilled chef and falls under the NOC level B, however quickly found out that the NOC level at this stage is irrelevant under the Express entry and as he didn't complete a degree 30 something years ago (he is now 50), he doesn't get the points needed to qualify which is incredibly annoying because if I tick yes to the box saying he has had NOC level B experience actually in Canada, he would ! So, it looks like the only option for this route is a job offer which I am hopeful !

Our main problem is that our eldest is 19 in Jan and I was hoping we may be able to get the application locked in before he hits that age so that he can remain on our visa. Likelihood is now looking minimal !

It seems that we can apply for an open work permit but I can't find enough info as to whether this would be a stable route to go given that we have three kids (2 at school and 1 at college age) because I would dread to settle out there and then we get kicked out of the country after a year !

My questions are :

How long do you get on a Open Permit ?
Can you renew or go for PR on an Open Permit?
Can both parents work on one?
Do you put on the kids application that they are wanting to study for 6 months or more (even the two younger ones)
Do you need a job offer to get one?
What Open Permit do you apply for? I thought it was the one for the Labor Market but that seems to be job offer only or if I went for Spouse permit, would that mean I could work because sure that would be just for my husband .
Do you have to pay the fees and do they need a medical for the under 16's (it's not an issue, just wanted to check the form is filled out correctly)
Finally, is it worth taking the ILETS and applying for EE in the hope that him being a chef does fall into the Level B category and that there is a specific questions on chefs in the 'determine your eligibility' and hope for the best?

So many questions ! The whole family wants to move out there so knowing the best route would be phenomenal! Thanks a million in advance

A very stressed out mum !!

Last edited by Victoria34; Nov 15th 2016 at 7:34 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open Work Permit

Originally Posted by Victoria34
I have been applying on part of my husband who is a skilled chef and falls under the NOC level B, however quickly found out that the NOC level at this stage is irrelevant under the Express entry and as he didn't complete a degree 30 something years ago (he is now 50), he doesn't get the points needed to qualify which is incredibly annoying because if I tick yes to the box saying he has had NOC level B experience actually in Canada, he would ! So, it looks like the only option for this route is a job offer which I am hopeful !
It's actually his age that is the problem I suspect - you said he had a two year diploma, so the lack of a degree won't make a big difference points wise, but his age will.

It seems that we can apply for an open work permit
No you can't, sorry! There are open work permits, but they are for people in different situations i.e. the spouse of a work permit holder can get a Spousal Open Work Permit, ditto for the spouse of a study permit holder, or if you're aged 30 and under you can get a 2 year Working Holiday Visa open work permit. Unfortunately, none of those situations apply to you so there is no open work permit you can apply for now.

So for instance, if your husband got a job offer from an employer prepared to pay and go through the hassle/paperwork of the LMIA application for him, then once he's got that and a normal TWP you would get a Spousal Open Work Permit for the same duration as his TWP.

HTH.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, is it worth taking the ILETS and applying for EE in the hope that him being a chef does fall into the Level B category and that there is a specific questions on chefs in the 'determine your eligibility' and hope for the best?
I've just seen this question - no, there's absolutely no point, you'd be wasting quite a bit of money. In case you're not aware, there are literally thousands of jobs that come under Level B (and thousands more that come under Skill Levels A and O), so having a 'skilled' job doesn't mean anything other than meeting one of the criteria for the FSW or FST program.

But as he doesn't meet the another of the criteria (points), then he's simply not eligible to apply, regardless of his occupation.

I'm assuming you've checked your points score? If you're a bit younger and/or have some more post-secondary education you might find you're eligible?

HTH.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah! That was confusing me so thanks (again).

We are not eligible for the EE for PR unless a job offer comes up (atleast that is the way it looks) so I tried going down the route of applying for a temporary stay (more than six months) and it stated that I may be eligible for an OWP.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 10:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ah! That was confusing me so thanks (again).

We are not eligible for the EE for PR unless a job offer comes up (atleast that is the way it looks) so I tried going down the route of applying for a temporary stay (more than six months) and it stated that I may be eligible for an OWP.
Not sure why it's telling you that! You can see the categories for open work permits here - Who can apply for an open work permit?

So it looks like a job offer/LMIA/TWP is the only way to go for you, and then apply for PR via EE once you are there working in Canada. If you've not done so already, have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, and plan a job hunting trip for you or your husband (whoever has the skills most in demand).

Best of luck.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

I read that and thought it strange.

I went on the Come To Canada wizard and put all correct details in stating to work temporarily for six months or more and it came up with to apply for an OWP.

When I click continue to OWP, it then has a drop down list for several permits that can be applied for. And then I got stuck because I have no idea which one would have been applicable !

Last edited by Victoria34; Nov 15th 2016 at 10:45 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I would also check your CRS score. Even after you are eligible you still need to compete with others in the pool. As of this Saturday the points awarded for an LMIA supported job offer will drop to 50 (for a B skills code), this is a fall from 600. Assuming that the ITA points stayed the same as they have been (and that's a big assumption with the system changing) you would still need to be achieving 450-480 points, including the 50 for a job offer.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

I read that . I think I am going to give up. That's making it pretty near impossible even with a job offer
Such a shame but clearly destined to stay in the UK, sadly.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I read that . I think I am going to give up. That's making it pretty near impossible even with a job offer
Such a shame but clearly destined to stay in the UK, sadly.
See where you are on CRS score. With a job offer PNP may still be a possibility (still attracts 600 CRS points) plus we don't know what these changes will do to the scores in the pool.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

I am literally just looking at the PNP. Without a job offer my score is very low (age/lack of degree) but with it , it jumps to 868 which I would have thought would still be very low compared to many.

Annoyingly, I do have a Canadian employer calling me tonight to discuss working together on a Level A job. But it may be a pointless phone call.

Thanks a million again for the advice.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I am literally just looking at the PNP. Without a job offer my score is very low (age/lack of degree) but with it , it jumps to 868 which I would have thought would still be very low compared to many.

Annoyingly, I do have a Canadian employer calling me tonight to discuss working together on a Level A job. But it may be a pointless phone call.

Thanks a million again for the advice.
868 would actual be a high score, But rember the current calculator will still be adding 600 points. What is your current CRS score assuming no job?
Old Nov 16th 2016, 3:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

At 868 you'd get an invite straight away, you can see all of the scores from previous draws here - Express Entry rounds of invitations

Not sure why you think it would be a pointless phone call? If they like you enough to offer you a job and are prepared to do a LMIA/PNP app for you, problem solved!

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
868 would actual be a high score, But rember the current calculator will still be adding 600 points. What is your current CRS score assuming no job?
Not sure if you've seen the OP's other thread or not, but she and her husband don't qualify as Skilled Workers due to not scoring over 67, so there is no option for them without a job offer (or another more creative route i.e. study permit).

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 16th 2016 at 3:51 am.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys. I really appreciate this. I am so stressed !! I honestly don't know how you all do it !

So, score without job offer is 268 - obviously far too low. Score with job is 868.

Am I right in thinking correctly that with a job offer, I could go down the PNP route, specifically BC-PNP with the current score of 868 subject to a job offer without the worry of the score going down from the weekend CRS changes because we haven't done the IELTS test yet or got a medical (not to mention that we only all firmly agreed as a family to move on Monday so a lot to do if it goes in our favour !!?) I now have two prospective employers that are calling me tonight and tomorrow so chances of employment are higher.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Am I right in thinking correctly that with a job offer, I could go down the PNP route, specifically BC-PNP with the current score of 868 subject to a job offer without the worry of the score going down from the weekend CRS changes because we haven't done the IELTS test yet or got a medical
Yes, you can go down that route. You'll still need a job offer and your employer to support your application though, but if they're happy to do that when you discuss it with them, then that's a good option.

You wouldn't need a medical now by the way, you don't have that done until you actually apply for PR (rather than just applying to enter the pool).

IELTS isn't mandatory for skilled applicants that apply via the PNP, so that would save you a job too.

Although I should point out that there is no way you'd have PNP nomination before your son/daughter turns 19, so that's something else to factor in.

I now have two prospective employers that are calling me tonight and tomorrow so chances of employment are higher.
Fab, congrats and good luck!
Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, you can go down that route. You'll still need a job offer and your employer to support your application though, but if they're happy to do that when you discuss it with them, then that's a good option.

You wouldn't need a medical now by the way, you don't have that done until you actually apply for PR (rather than just applying to enter the pool).

IELTS isn't mandatory for skilled applicants that apply via the PNP, so that would save you a job too.

Although I should point out that there is no way you'd have PNP nomination before your son/daughter turns 19, so that's something else to factor in.

Fab, congrats and good luck!
Thank you SO much - so helpful as always !! Not sure how we get around the nearly 19 year old though!! Would they lock the application if we applied when he was still 18 would you know so he would still get on our visa even though he would be 19 when we arrived in Canada?

If not, I have no idea how to get around that one........there is always something!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.