Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Open IEC Work Permit but Employer Specified by Border Agent??

Open IEC Work Permit but Employer Specified by Border Agent??

Old May 8th 2011, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

patience2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open IEC Work Permit but Employer Specified by Border Agent??

I've done a search through and couldn't find anything dealing with this. Can anyone advise?

My friend drove me to Peace Arch this morning so i could flagpole to get a 1 year open work permit (it was the I.E.C) and presented the paperwork. My letter of introduction clearly states

"TO THE IMMIGRATION OFFICER : If the applicant is deemed admissible, please issue an open work permit valid for 12 months from the date of entry."

He asked me a lot of questions and wanted to know if i had a job lined up. I said yes, he wanted to see a contract which i had thankfully brought with me even though all the letter of introduction said to bring was my passport, my insurance cert and my letter of intro(better to have too many documents than missing the one they may ask for!).

He went away and when i was called to the desk, he handed me the permit which i looked at. In the employer section he had printed the company name and under occupation he printed executive assistant/E.A. I asked him why he had printed the company name and occupation as it was meant to be an open permit and that wouldn't this tie the permit to the company?

He said no it didn't matter. I told him that my previous open permit (BUNAC) had specified 'Open' in these sections and was under the impression that this would be the same. I asked him to change it to say open. He was gruff and told me it was fine to have the company name printed. I didn't want to argue any further with him (as he wasn't the friendliest) and left.

I called immigration at Vancouver airport to ask and they told me that they didn't know and i'd have to go back to peace arch to check. It's a huge hassle to drive down and back as i don't have a license or car.

Is he correct or should it clearly state 'OPEN'.
Should i contact CIC to get a new one issued?

Last edited by patience2011; May 8th 2011 at 9:39 pm.
Old May 9th 2011, 4:20 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Open IEC Work Permit but Employer Specified by Border Agent??

Yes you certainly should. You definitely do not want, at a later date, for a border agent to ask why your IEC "open" work visa has an employer specified. I would contact them, keep a record of your conversations.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hpka
Yes you certainly should. You definitely do not want, at a later date, for a border agent to ask why your IEC "open" work visa has an employer specified. I would contact them, keep a record of your conversations.
Definitely. And a record of conversations and who you spoke to is almost essential. I ran into a load of trouble with a similar situation last year. Although nothing was changed in the end for me, hopefully you have more luck. Part of my trouble was that I had left it for 6 months before I had a chance to speak to someone (I was living it up on a lake in northern ontario)

Edit: Goes without saying but make sure you keep the original LOI. Thinking about it, it's really weird that they even asked to see a contract, maybe somebody's first day.
Old May 12th 2011, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Spoke to a CIC employee on the phone and then went to the office today. As i suspected, the guard at the border was indeed wrong. The woman i spoke to today was like 'was he asleep when he was processing this as the letter clearly said OPEN?!' They'll have to issue me a new one with the correct info on it.

Moral of the story folks: Just coz they're wearing a uniform doesn't always mean they know what they're doing
Old Jun 25th 2011, 11:46 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to dig up a fairly old thread but when you entered they still gave you 12 months right? Because someone on here said that him and his friends had only been issued with permits valid up until the date of LOI issuance and not 12 months from the date of entry.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Galacticos is an unknown quantity at this point

This is why i said i didnt have a job lined up, that way they had to leave it as open.....
Old Jun 29th 2011, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

DigitalGhost- It is 12 months from the date you apply for the permit(NOT from the date on the LOI)
Some people are coming in on a visitor visa and then flagpoling at a later date to activate the work visa, so ensure to check when the permit is given, that the correct amount is 365 days from the date of issue.

Galacticos- I wasn't entering Canada for the first time and had been there on a visitor visa that had already been extended. I didn't want to take any risks of not being allowed re-entry to Canada by omitting info when i was asked by the officer.

Last edited by patience2011; Jun 29th 2011 at 7:46 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 29th 2011, 7:51 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Because they email they send out actually states that is 12 months from the entry date, not the date of LOI issuance.

** TO THE IMMIGRATION OFFICER : If the applicant is deemed **
** admissible, please issue an open work permit valid for 12 **
** months from the date of entry. **
Doesn't sound quite right to me.

The email possibly will state that you have 12 months to arrive from the date of issuance then so that may be the cause of some confusion.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jun 29th 2011 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

As i said above-It is 12 months from the date you apply for the permit(NOT from the date on the LOI). by date you apply= day you turn up at the border and say here's my LOI, i'd like my permit now.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 3:03 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by patience2011
As i said above-It is 12 months from the date you apply for the permit(NOT from the date on the LOI). by date you apply= day you turn up at the border and say here's my LOI, i'd like my permit now.
I'm sorry, yes you did, completely my mistake sorry.

It's just there has been some discussion on this subject on here recently and I think I'm having a bit of an off-day anyway to be honest.