Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ontario - Provincial/Territorial Interest letter

Ontario - Provincial/Territorial Interest letter

Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ontario - Provincial/Territorial Interest letter

Hi I was wondering if anyone has experience or advice regarding the Ontario human capital category. I recently received an interest letter, which suggests if i met their requirements then I can submit an application.
I have read a bit about their requirements and I know its no guarantee of a nomination, just an application. I know there is also a quota - is the current numbers reached available somewhere - I know its late on in the year, so I can imagine that they must have quite a lot of applications by now and don't want to waste my money (I know immigration costs a lot of money, but their application fee is very costly) and any other chances to be still visible on the EE pool, if my chances aren't good.
Just wondered if anyone has some advice or experience of going down this category?
My first choice is BC/Alberta, but i know I'm not eligible for BC PNP as far as i'm aware as I don't have a job offer - i'd need to gain registration to work in Canada in healthcare.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario - Provincial/Territorial Interest letter

I'm also a bit confused reading their eligibility requirements section - it doesn't actually mention anywhere that you need to be registered to work in Ontario for a regulated profession. But in their supporting documents section, they say that if you're working in a regulated profession, you need to provide evidence of licensure.
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/pro...oi_en_hcps.pdf
Do I need to be licensed already in Ontario before I'm eligible?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss_mp
I'm also a bit confused reading their eligibility requirements section - it doesn't actually mention anywhere that you need to be registered to work in Ontario for a regulated profession. But in their supporting documents section, they say that if you're working in a regulated profession, you need to provide evidence of licensure.
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/pro...oi_en_hcps.pdf
Do I need to be licensed already in Ontario before I'm eligible?
I read that paragraph as : if you are currently working in Ontario in a regulated profession, you need to provide proof, but agree the wording is ambiguous.

Have you contacted them and asked? And it would also be a good idea to look up what the requirements are for you profession (there's a link in the document you quote; if it's nursing, do a search here for posts by Tirytory, & read the Wiki .

What is your CRS score?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Shirtback on your advice, I'll get in touch with them to clarify.
I've looked into their link for pharmacists and did a little research. I know that they'll need to go through several exams before they can gain licensing, which I why I thought if i'd need to be licensed before I'm eligible, it might take me quite a while to get through these.
However at the moment, I have my ECA which shows I have the UK equivalent.
My CRS score is fairly low, only 418, and my IELTS expires next February :-/ . And so if I can obtain a nomination, then that would be of great help to boost my scores.
My other thought is, the only thing I have to prove to them about my connections to Ontario, is that I've visited Toronto, but I have no other strong supporting document to show my ties to Ontario - would a 3-4 day visit as part of a longer trip to Canada be sufficient?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh that document is badly written!!

I see that "previous visits" are listed under ties to Ontario, so you're covered for that. You could also provide evidence of inquiries about/signing up for the exams you need to practise in Ontario.

I also reread the bit about regulated professions, and it could also mean that they need proof that you are licensed to practise in your current country of residence (UK?), which seems more likely. So ask about that when you contact them.

I hope someone who has more experience/knowledge will be along to help you soon.

This may be of use/interest for the exams/licensing:
http://pebc.forumup.org/index.php

Last edited by Shirtback; Aug 5th 2015 at 10:01 am. Reason: Added link
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Working in a regulated occupation in Ontario
If you are currently working in an occupation that is regulated in Ontario which requires mandatory certification or licensing in Ontario, you must submit proof of your certification or license.

I think 'currently' is the relevant word.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 5th 2015 at 11:52 am.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Siouxie and Shirtback for your advice, and thanks for the link to the PEBC forum, that looks really helpful and a really good source of information on help towards the exams and tips on working in Canada.
That's a relief if it is specifically current workers in Ontario. I'll hopefully hear back from them soon to clarify some of these things.