Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Old Mar 30th 2017, 2:45 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 29
Oliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Hi everyone,

After posting a thread yesterday and finding out things will be harder than expected to extend out stay here I have done some more research!

I have found out about the OINP and was wondering if anyone has any experience getting their Visa through this.

We already have visas and my finace has a job in landscaping which would be classed as a 'skilled job type B'.

On the ontario immigration website, for the skilled worker visa it says 'new job offer' to be given to get it. Can this be done if you are already in a job or is this for people that are newcomers to the country?

Im quickly finding out that visas are SOO complicated!
Oliviald is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:01 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,452
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Originally Posted by Oliviald View Post
After posting a thread yesterday and finding out things will be harder than expected to extend out stay here I have done some more research!
Sorry to use you as an example, but just for the sake of anybody else reading, this is why it's always a good idea to check out the visa side of things before moving on any kind of temporary visa. No point in spending lots or going through the stress and upheaval of moving for a short time if you wouldn't be able to stay longer term if you wish.

Originally Posted by Oliviald View Post
On the ontario immigration website, for the skilled worker visa it says 'new job offer' to be given to get it. Can this be done if you are already in a job or is this for people that are newcomers to the country?
It's also for those in jobs. So if your fiance's employer will support the application and is happy to go through the paperwork and pay the fee, then that is definitely worth a look.

But have you also looked at EE and seen if you're eligible via that? If so, you would also have the OINP EE stream open to you which would be another good option (and doesn't need a job offer or any kind of support from the employer).
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:40 pm
  #3  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,707
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Hi


Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Sorry to use you as an example, but just for the sake of anybody else reading, this is why it's always a good idea to check out the visa side of things before moving on any kind of temporary visa. No point in spending lots or going through the stress and upheaval of moving for a short time if you wouldn't be able to stay longer term if you wish.



It's also for those in jobs. So if your fiance's employer will support the application and is happy to go through the paperwork and pay the fee, then that is definitely worth a look.

But have you also looked at EE and seen if you're eligible via that? If so, you would also have the OINP EE stream open to you which would be another good option (and doesn't need a job offer or any kind of support from the employer).

1. Don't forget that you need 400 points in EE to get an invitation to OINP and you have to indicate on your province of choice, Ontario.
PMM is offline  
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:08 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,452
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Originally Posted by PMM View Post
Hi





1. Don't forget that you need 400 points in EE to get an invitation to OINP and you have to indicate on your province of choice, Ontario.
Yes, I'm aware! Just mentioned it as a possibility for the OP to look in to really, I've no idea if they're even eligible to enter the EE pool, but it's something they can check.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2017, 8:47 am
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
chente is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Hello, I jsut got NOI but have some question related with reference letters.

In my EE profile i only included my current job (4 years) as some old job don't give me more points andis difficult to get letters from that jobs.

For OINP, is enough just the letter from my current job?
chente is offline  
Old Apr 18th 2017, 1:06 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 116
ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Originally Posted by PMM View Post
Hi





1. Don't forget that you need 400 points in EE to get an invitation to OINP and you have to indicate on your province of choice, Ontario.
Not strictly true you can leave blank and hope all Provinces show an interest.


We had contact from 4 and decided on OINP.


If OP is desperate to stay and would genuinely live/work in any province if it meant securing PR why restrict yourself to just Ontario other than you already have a job there?
ScottyB is offline  
Old Apr 18th 2017, 2:57 am
  #7  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,707
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Hi


Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Not strictly true you can leave blank and hope all Provinces show an interest.


We had contact from 4 and decided on OINP.


If OP is desperate to stay and would genuinely live/work in any province if it meant securing PR why restrict yourself to just Ontario other than you already have a job there?
1, Because if you have less than about 430 points you wont, at this time, get an ITA. But if you indicate Ontario and have 400 points you may get an OINP,
PMM is offline  
Old Apr 18th 2017, 3:27 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 116
ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Originally Posted by PMM View Post
Hi




1, Because if you have less than about 430 points you wont, at this time, get an ITA. But if you indicate Ontario and have 400 points you may get an OINP,
My point exactly but why restrict yourself to Ontario?


Say for example their quota is full if you tick them exclusively you limit yourself to not being considered by other Provinces?


Putting all your eggs in 1 basket.
ScottyB is offline  
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:10 am
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,452
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
My point exactly but why restrict yourself to Ontario?


Say for example their quota is full if you tick them exclusively you limit yourself to not being considered by other Provinces?


Putting all your eggs in 1 basket.
The OP has to restrict themselves to Ontario, as that's where they are currently living! But a lot of people don't want the other baskets. Perhaps they have no interest in living in SK, or MB, etc, and only want Ontario for various reasons. No point in applying for provinces you wouldn't want to actually live in.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:17 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 116
ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
The OP has to restrict themselves to Ontario, as that's where they are currently living! But a lot of people don't want the other baskets. Perhaps they have no interest in living in SK, or MB, etc, and only want Ontario for various reasons. No point in applying for provinces you wouldn't want to actually live in.
They don't have to restrict themselves to Ontario just because they are living/working there?


At present they are not going to have enough points to qualify for an ITA without additional points from a Provincial scheme or other means.


If they have a genuine willingness to stay elsewhere it may mean the difference between remaining in Canada and having to leave at the end of their current temp circumstances if they open their eyes to other provinces.


None of us are immigration experts and using language like "has to restrict themselves to Ontario" is misleading.


All I was suggesting to increase their odds was to consider not selecting Ontario as a singular option because once you do you are "All In" on Ontario with no other options where as if you have flexibility and are genuine about living anywhere you have more potential options.


I deal with Risk for a living, just relying on Ontario for me is a risky play.
ScottyB is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:38 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
DandNHill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,306
DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
They don't have to restrict themselves to Ontario just because they are living/working there?


At present they are not going to have enough points to qualify for an ITA without additional points from a Provincial scheme or other means.


If they have a genuine willingness to stay elsewhere it may mean the difference between remaining in Canada and having to leave at the end of their current temp circumstances if they open their eyes to other provinces.


None of us are immigration experts and using language like "has to restrict themselves to Ontario" is misleading.


All I was suggesting to increase their odds was to consider not selecting Ontario as a singular option because once you do you are "All In" on Ontario with no other options where as if you have flexibility and are genuine about living anywhere you have more potential options.


I deal with Risk for a living, just relying on Ontario for me is a risky play.
Or as I would put it... Plan B... always need a plan B! Lol
DandNHill is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:17 am
  #12  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,452
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
They don't have to restrict themselves to Ontario just because they are living/working there?

None of us are immigration experts and using language like "has to restrict themselves to Ontario" is misleading
I would be gobsmacked if they could get nomination from another province. No province will consider them unless they can show they are committed to it and don't have ties to another, which would be rather tricky when living and working elsewhere. To give you an example from somebody else on the forum rather than just my experience, take a look at this post by dwightvanman. He was refused PNP in Manitoba simply because he'd visited Toronto on vacation nearly a decade previously! http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post11340114

Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
None of us are immigration experts and using language like "has to restrict themselves to Ontario" is misleading
Actually, lots are immigration experts. We have people who work (or have worked) for CIC, current or former immigration consultants and those who work or have worked for them, and a CBSA border officer. All of whom are amazing at giving their time freely and definitely qualify as expert advice IMO (not necessarily including myself in that even though I do fall in to one of those categories! But just wanted to give kudos to the pros that do give amazing advice).

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 19th 2017 at 6:29 am.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:04 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 116
ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
I would be gobsmacked if they could get nomination from another province. No province will consider them unless they can show they are committed to it and don't have ties to another, which would be rather tricky when living and working elsewhere. To give you an example from somebody else on the forum rather than just my experience, take a look at this post by dwightvanman. He was refused PNP in Manitoba simply because he'd visited Toronto on vacation nearly a decade previously! http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post11340114



Actually, lots are immigration experts. We have people who work (or have worked) for CIC, current or former immigration consultants and those who work or have worked for them, and a CBSA border officer. All of whom are amazing at giving their time freely and definitely qualify as expert advice IMO (not necessarily including myself in that even though I do fall in to one of those categories! But just wanted to give kudos to the pros that do give amazing advice).
Likewise I recognise everyone who gives their time FOC to this amazing forum which I have been a member of for many years.


For your example above I can give several examples where close friends/colleagues have successfully convinced other provinces of their interest/flexibility and secured PNP/PR and moved.


A recent colleague working/living in Toronto under a working visa successfully secured PNP/PR to Calgary by showing details of a job move, school acceptance and rental commitment.


It can and does happen and all my point was designed to do was give the OP options rather than just select ON.


Best advice I am sure we all agree on, if in doubt speak to an expert which I am certainly not!!
ScottyB is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.