Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ontario College Diploma or Ontario College Graduate Certificate?

Ontario College Diploma or Ontario College Graduate Certificate?

Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

toronto12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Ontario College Diploma or Ontario College Graduate Certificate?

I previously looked into getting employment in Ontario, due to age and job issues it was not possible

My desire to relocate remains intact, so the only realistic route available to me is studying in Canada, graduate from the course I study from and then work after graduation via the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) and then find skilled work for 12 months and the apply for PR on that basis via the Canada Experience Class (CEC).

I have an undergraduate degree, (2:2), which is not good enough for genuine Masters level study at all of the Canadian universities that I have looked at.

That leaves the Ontario College Diploma or Ontario College Graduate Certificate. The diploma is at the undergraduate level, the certificate is at the graduate level.

The issues at hand (to my knowledge) are the length of study and the level of study.

In order to be eligible to get a post-graduate work permit of up to 3 years, the course length needs to be of 2 years duration. Most certificate programs are only of 1 year duration and the work permit reflects that duration, e.g. 12 months of study gives a 12 month work permit. From my understanding if I apply for the Diploma level course (which is usually of the 2 year duration) then questions might be raised as to why I am coming to Canada to obtain a lower level qualification than what I already have. I do not want my study permit application to be rejected!

There are some Ontario College Graduate Certificates which are of 2 year duration but they are not my first choice in terms of subject area.

Should I:

a) apply for a diploma level course (2 years)
b) apply for a graduate certificate one year course
c) apply for a graduate certificate two year course

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario College Diploma or Ontario College Graduate Certificate?

Originally Posted by toronto12
questions might be raised as to why I am coming to Canada to obtain a lower level qualification than what I already have. I do not want my study permit application to be rejected!
Exactly that, it may well be rejected because you've already got a degree.

You say you can't get a job in Canada, how long have you been looking and how many times have you been over there?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Exactly that, it may well be rejected because you've already got a degree.

You say you can't get a job in Canada, how long have you been looking and how many times have you been over there?
My work experience has been lower level administration in human resources, accounting and law which does not correlate to the NOC codes 0, A or B. The process of getting a LMO etc would be difficult. I have applied for 5 or 6 jobs on the internet for roles in Canada which are skilled with no reply, I do not meet the literal specifics of the job description e.g. 3 years work experience in a bank or education sector or whatever qualifier the firm states they require.

I have been to Canada once in 2012, for three weeks. I am too old for the IEC!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My work experience has been lower level administration in human resources, accounting and law which does not correlate to the NOC codes 0, A or B.
Are you sure? It would be unusual for them to not be 'skilled' jobs, what NOC codes?

I have applied for 5 or 6 jobs on the internet for roles in Canada which are skilled with no reply, I do not meet the literal specifics of the job description e.g. 3 years work experience in a bank or education sector or whatever qualifier the firm states they require.
5 or 6 jobs isn't many, we've got forum members that have applied for 20 times that before finding a job! If a job offer is the way you really want to go, then don't give up after such a few applications. Also, I'm sure you've read the Wiki but applying via the internet is unlikely to get you anywhere.

I have been to Canada once in 2012, for three weeks.
How many employers did you meet whilst there and what did they say, any interest?

If you actually want to study the diploma you're thinking of then go for it, but it sounds as if you're only doing it to get in to Canada? So you may be better off putting more money and time in to the job hunt instead?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 4:48 am
Just Joined

In the past, when I explored working in Canada, my past experience was in NOC 1431 amongst other NOC codes, skill level C.

At this moment in time, still being employed in the UK I do not have any leave until the new holiday year in April. With my new aim to return to life as a student it was easier to plan out, i.e. work till end of July 14, give notice and start the course in Canada in Sept 14.

Is it the case that other members have gone to Canada as a tourist whilst trying to find an employer to offer them a skilled job? I assume that is what you mean in stating applying for jobs via the internet does not work.

In truth, I did not meet any employers in any meaningful capacity whilst there. It was purely a holiday. In hindsight I wished I had explored the job market when I was there, I never thought I would be a potential immigrant/student/worker when I was there.

Have any members studied for either the Ontario College Diploma or Ontario College Graduate Certificate?

Any colleges in Ontario which are thought to be better than others?