Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Online work permit application vs wait for lifting of restrictions?

Online work permit application vs wait for lifting of restrictions?

Old Jun 30th 2020, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online work permit application vs wait for lifting of restrictions?

These measures are currently in effect until June 30, 2020, and may be extended.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...diens-eng.html

Perhaps there will be an announcement today or not as things are changing daily and websites direct you from one place to another then onto another so it is easy to get lost.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomScott50
has anyone heard any news on reopening the border services? Last I read the restrictions were going to be looked at around the end of June, but I can't see anything now, but I'm probably googling the wrong things...
Here is the latest https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tra...july-1.5632625

Eixtended to at least 31 July (they tend to go one month at a time)
Old Jun 30th 2020, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

TomScott50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Here is the latest https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tra...july-1.5632625

Eixtended to at least 31 July (they tend to go one month at a time)
Damn... looks like the only option is going to be an online application... god only knows how long that will take... been 6 months already...
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Mattydread is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone. not sure this is the right section to post this question but do need some assistance.

i live in the US and am migrating with my family to the UK in the next few months.

i've completed the online application form. i'm to give my biometrics then submit my application to VFS Global. all the application resource centers near me (i live in western Mass and the nearest centers to me are in New York and Boston). however, all the centers remain closed. i'm unable to schedule an online appointment. i have tried but found no info online on reopening. my emails are returned with automated responses that they are closed due to covid-19. so i don't know when things will reopen.

my certificate of stay expires in 10 days. im anxious as to whether i can get things done soon. any suggestions/advice/information would be very welcome.

thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

unobscure is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mattydread
i live in the US and am migrating with my family to the UK in the next few months.
This section of the site is for people moving to Canada. You should probably try posting in US section https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ or the Moving TO the UK section https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/
Old Aug 11th 2020, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

As an update to this, I applied using the online service for my work permit and had a really quick turnaround luckily. I applied for my work permit on the 25th July, received my biometric instruction letter almost straight away, booked that for August 5th and had approval through today.

Looks like I'm pretty much set now, just need to get my new employer to supply some information to the NL government regarding my quarantine arrangements and I should be good to book flights been a delay of around 6 months tho, and it's good to not be stuck in limbo anymore

Now the next thing to do is to finalise my NL PNP paper application and get that submitted and I'm well on my way to a new life in Labrador
Old Aug 11th 2020, 5:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

ah, so this may be good news... see below, but I've been approved for PNP, so trying to work out the best way and don't want to get trapped waiting for online approval 18 weeks was a figure that the NL office of multiculturalism thought was the waiting time for online applications at the moment!

Not yet, I've been approved for PNP and they've said that my next step is to apply for a work permit, I spent the weekend getting all my bits together and now just waiting for my new employer to send me his offer of employment number/letter for LMIA exemption.
As an update to this, I applied using the online service for my work permit and had a really quick turnaround luckily. I applied for my work permit on the 25th July, received my biometric instruction letter almost straight away, booked that for August 5th and had approval through today.

Looks like I'm pretty much set now, just need to get my new employer to supply some information to the NL government regarding my quarantine arrangements and I should be good to book flights been a delay of around 6 months tho, and it's good to not be stuck in limbo anymore

Now the next thing to do is to finalise my NL PNP paper application and get that submitted and I'm well on my way to a new life in Labrador
Congrats! Do be aware of the time constraints for submitting the full PR application once you have been nominated.. failure to complete it within the designated time could result in your PNP nomination becoming null and void. We've seen it happen on here before
https://www.gov.nl.ca/immigration/ne...uestions-faqs/

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 11th 2020 at 5:22 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Congrats! Do be aware of the time constraints for submitting the full PR application once you have been nominated.. failure to complete it within the designated time could result in your PNP nomination becoming null and void. We've seen it happen on here before
https://www.gov.nl.ca/immigration/ne...uestions-faqs/
Great point, thanks Siouxie. Will be getting on it next week to get it all finalised