Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Online work permit application vs wait for lifting of restrictions?

Online work permit application vs wait for lifting of restrictions?

Old Jun 10th 2020, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

TomScott50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Online work permit application vs wait for lifting of restrictions?

Hi everyone, was doing some reading and I read somewhere in the last few days that if you apply online for a work permit, then you aren't then able to apply at the border? Is this correct, as if so then I'm wondering if it would be best if I wait for a couple of weeks and see if they lift the restrictions at the start of July rather than applying online. As if I apply online then I could get stuck waiting for anywhere from 8 - 18 weeks, depending on who you ask! Or could there be an exception due to covid?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!
Old Jun 10th 2020, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online work permit application vs wait for lifting of restrictions?

I am not aware of any legal or policy that stops a UK citizen from doing both provided that meet the conditions to be able to apply for a work permit at a POE. As for asking about time frames who knows until they are announced. Also there are restrictions on who can enter Canada.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 3:41 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomScott50
Hi everyone, was doing some reading and I read somewhere in the last few days that if you apply online for a work permit, then you aren't then able to apply at the border? Is this correct, as if so then I'm wondering if it would be best if I wait for a couple of weeks and see if they lift the restrictions at the start of July rather than applying online. As if I apply online then I could get stuck waiting for anywhere from 8 - 18 weeks, depending on who you ask! Or could there be an exception due to covid?

Do you already have your work permit in place?
Old Jun 10th 2020, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I am not aware of any legal or policy that stops a UK citizen from doing both provided that meet the conditions to be able to apply for a work permit at a POE. As for asking about time frames who knows until they are announced. Also there are restrictions on who can enter Canada.
ah, so this may be good news... see below, but I've been approved for PNP, so trying to work out the best way and don't want to get trapped waiting for online approval 18 weeks was a figure that the NL office of multiculturalism thought was the waiting time for online applications at the moment!

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Do you already have your work permit in place?
Not yet, I've been approved for PNP and they've said that my next step is to apply for a work permit, I spent the weekend getting all my bits together and now just waiting for my new employer to send me his offer of employment number/letter for LMIA exemption.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet, I've been approved for PNP and they've said that my next step is to apply for a work permit, I spent the weekend getting all my bits together and now just waiting for my new employer to send me his offer of employment number/letter for LMIA exemption.
Just based on this then at the moment you could not apply at a POE.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Just based on this then at the moment you could not apply at a POE.
Ah OK, so am I misunderstanding the 'normal' (pre covid) way then? I thought that ordinarily, after PNP nomination and collecting information for the work permit, you would fly into Canada and get your work permit at the PoE?
Old Jun 10th 2020, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah OK, so am I misunderstanding the 'normal' (pre covid) way then? I thought that ordinarily, after PNP nomination and collecting information for the work permit, you would fly into Canada and get your work permit at the PoE?
Correct but at the moment do you have the Nomination Letter and offer of employment number for LMIA exemption.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Ah good, I thought that I had it correct. Of course Covid has had an effect on the whole process, so things clearly aren't normal at the moment. I accepted the job just before Christmas, and got my application in during January, so its taken a while to get to this point. I do have the nomination letter now though, and am just waiting for my new employer to go through his process to get the offer of employment letter. I only had the nomination letter at the end of last week to be fair, so the offer letter shouldn't be too far away either now with any luck
Old Jun 11th 2020, 3:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get your biometrics done on arrival if you apply online - you would have to get them done in the UK.. perhaps that's what was meant?
Old Jun 11th 2020, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can't get your biometrics done on arrival if you apply online - you would have to get them done in the UK.. perhaps that's what was meant?
Ah, perhaps that was what was meant. So I will be need to be a bit aware of that then, especially if the VAC in London stays closed. I could end up with an online application that I can't biometrics for and wouldn't be able to get them at the border? I would hope that allowances could be made given the current situation, but things are so uncertain at the moment...
Old Jun 12th 2020, 12:14 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, perhaps that was what was meant. So I will be need to be a bit aware of that then, especially if the VAC in London stays closed. I could end up with an online application that I can't biometrics for and wouldn't be able to get them at the border? I would hope that allowances could be made given the current situation, but things are so uncertain at the moment...
Remembered this... (I posted it in your other thread) - it's about the current situation......
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inform...biometrics.asp
You cannot give your biometrics at a Canadian port of entry (POE) unless you meet these 2 requirements:
  • you’re eligible to apply for a study permit or work permit at a POE
  • you start and finish your application at the POE

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 12th 2020 at 12:17 am.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OP unfortunately for you and this also applies to others in the same situation. IRCC (CIC) and CBSA at a POE are giving you 2 x choices. If you start the application via the VAC office you have to remain with that choice. If you choose to go the route of applying at the POE and eligible once you have all the required documentation needed then you can do that. You cannot mix and match the 2 x choices. Even without COVID 19 you still would have these 2 x choices. You now have a choice to make.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Apologies for the late reply, the notification of reply emails were going into my spam folder so I missed these two replys.

Remembered this... (I posted it in your other thread) - it's about the current situation......
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inform...biometrics.asp
Reading through that link I also spotted this "You don’t have to give your biometrics until the biometrics collection site closest to you reopens. Once your local biometrics collection site reopens, make an appointment to give your biometrics as soon as possible." So if I'm reading that correctly if I can get a work permit, it doesn't matter about the biometrics at the moment, and I can do them once they reopen. Although the nearest centre might be quite a trek from where I'm going to be working... I'm going to be in Forteau in Labrador and the nearest place will be St Johns NL by the looks of things... a ferry ride and about a 12 hour drive!

OP unfortunately for you and this also applies to others in the same situation. IRCC (CIC) and CBSA at a POE are giving you 2 x choices. If you start the application via the VAC office you have to remain with that choice. If you choose to go the route of applying at the POE and eligible once you have all the required documentation needed then you can do that. You cannot mix and match the 2 x choices. Even without COVID 19 you still would have these 2 x choices. You now have a choice to make.
OK, thanks for this information, I figured that this might be the case. As it happens I've been delayed somewhat anyway, my new employer has been having trouble logging onto the immigration website to get the offer of employment letter. He's also been struggling as it's now their busy season and he's waiting for two of us to get our work permits and stuff sorted, it's a pickup truck dealership and I'm one of the mechanics. This may work out in my favour anyway, as from what I've been reading they will be looking at the immigration and whether they start relaxing some restrictions in the coming weeks so I might be able to just fly there and get my work permit at the border... fingers crossed anyway! I feel that may well be the better option than getting stuck applying at the VAC or the High Commission and having to wait for them to approve the WP.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 4:41 am
Banned

Apologies for the late reply, the notification of reply emails were going into my spam folder so I missed these two replys.

Reading through that link I also spotted this "You don’t have to give your biometrics until the biometrics collection site closest to you reopens. Once your local biometrics collection site reopens, make an appointment to give your biometrics as soon as possible." So if I'm reading that correctly if I can get a work permit, it doesn't matter about the biometrics at the moment, and I can do them once they reopen. Although the nearest centre might be quite a trek from where I'm going to be working... I'm going to be in Forteau in Labrador and the nearest place will be St Johns NL by the looks of things... a ferry ride and about a 12 hour drive!

OK, thanks for this information, I figured that this might be the case. As it happens I've been delayed somewhat anyway, my new employer has been having trouble logging onto the immigration website to get the offer of employment letter. He's also been struggling as it's now their busy season and he's waiting for two of us to get our work permits and stuff sorted, it's a pickup truck dealership and I'm one of the mechanics. This may work out in my favour anyway, as from what I've been reading they will be looking at the immigration and whether they start relaxing some restrictions in the coming weeks so I might be able to just fly there and get my work permit at the border... fingers crossed anyway! I feel that may well be the better option than getting stuck applying at the VAC or the High Commission and having to wait for them to approve the WP.
Applying via the VAC (which has to be sent away by them for final approval / printing anyway I believe) or online/by paper application to Immigration and Citizenship Canada can take weeks or even months before you will get the work permit - potentially even longer with the backlog they will have. If you qualify to apply at the Port of Entry I would strongly suggest you do so.

If you apply at the Port of Entry you will need to give your biometrics on arrival, as I read it... as far as I am aware you aren't able to enter Canada without having done so. if you are required to submit biometric information or have it done as you arrive in Canada (as opposed to a week or more later) - as they need to check your fingerprints etc., on arrival to ensure you are the same person who received approval to be here.. see this page..

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...in-canada.html
When you arrive, we will check your identity to make sure that you are the same person who was approved to travel to Canada.

How this is done will depend on where you enter Canada.
  • At 10 major Canadian airports
    • your fingerprints will be checked automatically at a primary inspection kiosk
    • the system will check your identity against the information collected when your application was submitted
  • At smaller airports and all land ports of entry
    • your fingerprints may be checked if we refer you to a secondary inspection, where a border services officer will use a fingerprint verification device to check your fingerprints
Old Jun 30th 2020, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Applying via the VAC (which has to be sent away by them for final approval / printing anyway I believe) or online/by paper application to Immigration and Citizenship Canada can take weeks or even months before you will get the work permit - potentially even longer with the backlog they will have. If you qualify to apply at the Port of Entry I would strongly suggest you do so.

If you apply at the Port of Entry you will need to give your biometrics on arrival, as I read it... as far as I am aware you aren't able to enter Canada without having done so. if you are required to submit biometric information or have it done as you arrive in Canada (as opposed to a week or more later) - as they need to check your fingerprints etc., on arrival to ensure you are the same person who received approval to be here.. see this page..

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...in-canada.html
Ah OK, that makes sense, it's certainly not easy this - lots of information all over the place and it's easy to miss or misunderstand something... especially with all the new covid rules muddying the water too

Definitely want to apply at the PoE if possible then - has anyone heard any news on reopening the border services? Last I read the restrictions were going to be looked at around the end of June, but I can't see anything now, but I'm probably googling the wrong things...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.