Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

One way ticket while waiting for med requests

One way ticket while waiting for med requests

Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

rynhelcanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One way ticket while waiting for med requests

All

Has anyone gone to Canada before medicals so that they can get things moving? Also did you have to have a return flight ticket?

What about people who used Bunac? Did you have to have a return flight booked?

Thanks

Helen
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way ticket while waiting for med requests

We've just booked one way tickets with Thomas Cook via CanadianAffair and they put it all over the screen in massive bold type (and in the paper itinerary they mailed out a few days later) that "you will not be allowed to board the flight on this one-way ticket unless you are allowed to remain in Canada" - i.e. PR, work permit, or citizen I assume.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:45 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I know people that have. Just book a return ticket, the cancel the return if you don't need it. You have to notify CHC of your address in Canada, so the can contact you. If and when you get medicals you can do them in Canada. Then they will send visas to Canadian address, but you have to leave (hop over border to USA) and back to officially land.

Problem is customs will not let you in without a return ticket,as already said. You can go as a seasonal resident for up to 6 months, and some people have renewed this from within Canada for up to a year.
Remember that if you get called for an interview, you will have to return to UK. "Tiaribbon" had to do this.

Just remember if you did get refused you would have to use that return ticket and come home.

QUOTE=rynhelcanada]All

Has anyone gone to Canada before medicals so that they can get things moving? Also did you have to have a return flight ticket?

What about people who used Bunac? Did you have to have a return flight booked?

Thanks

Helen[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

pak2 will become famous soon enoughpak2 will become famous soon enough
Post Re: One way ticket while waiting for med requests

Helen

I have just booked one way flights to Canada. It was made quite clear that I would need documentary evidence of a right to stay in Canada else they would not let us on the plane. Another point about costs; most airlines that I investigated charged as much for a one way ticket as they did for a return! As has been pointed out before you can always cancel the return flight.

Phil
Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:44 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I am here without PR. I have a 3 year Visitors Visa as an accompanying family member of Study Permit holders. I moved out here in December and had to fly back to the UK in February for my interview. We did our medicals here in Canada though. Still waiting on PP request though.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Hello..i can only answer in regard to return ticket.

A travel agent will probably not sell you a one way ticket to canada or any country for that matter..if you do not have a passport etc..for that country.

I am here in Canada to marry my fiance and apply for PR.( i was granted a 6mth stay...and i disclosed my intent to marry and apply for inland PR at customs )..... However the travel agents would not sell me a one way ticket...because IF i was refused entry into Canada they would have to pay the cost of the return for me to Australia.

HOWEVER it was interesting to note that at Customs in Vancouver.they DID NOT ask me for proof of return ticket..nor did they ask how much money i had or anything like that. All they asked was personal stuff..like how i met my fiance..and had i been to canada b4 etc...*S*.....

HOWEVER i would not advise the one way ticket..because they may ask you..and if you do not have one..they can query how you would leave the country if your application failed..or you ran out of money etc...even if you can prove all this other stuff....it isn't worth the hassle IMO..

i bought a 12month open ticket..worked out to be cheaper than the one way ticket...*VBS*~
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: One way ticket while waiting for med requests

PS>.

not sure you know this..
but whatever doctor you attend to for your medicals.....if there is a query..or more information required...be aware that you have to return to that same doctor....*S*..good luck