One way ticket to Canada

Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:40 am
Just Joined

DH06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation One way ticket to Canada

I am a Canadian Citizen, my husband is a British Citizen. Our children hold British passports, but as I understand, they are also considered Canadian Citizens (since I'm a Canadian Citizen). We will all be moving to Canada. I have had no problem purchasing one way tickets to Canada for my husband (who has the required visa) and for myself, but I've been told that because our children do not have Canadian passports, we may be forced to purchase return tickets at the airport, or may not be allowed into Canada. Surely this can't be right??? Do our children need Canadian passports??[/B]
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way ticket to Canada

Originally Posted by DH06
I am a Canadian Citizen, my husband is a British Citizen. Our children hold British passports, but as I understand, they are also considered Canadian Citizens (since I'm a Canadian Citizen). We will all be moving to Canada. I have had no problem purchasing one way tickets to Canada for my husband (who has the required visa) and for myself, but I've been told that because our children do not have Canadian passports, we may be forced to purchase return tickets at the airport, or may not be allowed into Canada. Surely this can't be right??? Do our children need Canadian passports??[/B]
Normally Canadian citizens do need Canadian passports to enter and leave Canada.

Some airlines can be funny about travelling on a one-way ticket, others less so. You need to get something *in writing* from the airline before you buy your tickets if you want your children to travel on one-way tickets + British passports.

Is there a reason why the children haven't got Canadian passports and citizenship cards before?

You may be able to get the children temporary Canadian passports from the Canadian High Commission in London.

One final point. Are you a British citizen too? If not, have you thought about applying for naturalisation (as a British citizen) before leaving the UK, it will make things easier should you ever decide to return.