One-Way or Return

Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

pocockc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One-Way or Return

Hello

I am travelling to Canada in November to meet up with my Canadian Girlfriend and get married in December. I am then going to apply for residence and for a work visa.

Question is. Can I fly to Canada with a one way ticket or will immigration expect me to have a return flight. Also what is the best thing to say to immigration when asked for my reason for entering the country.

Thanks
Craig
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: One-Way or Return

Originally Posted by pocockc
Hello

I am travelling to Canada in November to meet up with my Canadian Girlfriend and get married in December. I am then going to apply for residence and for a work visa.

Question is. Can I fly to Canada with a one way ticket or will immigration expect me to have a return flight. Also what is the best thing to say to immigration when asked for my reason for entering the country.

Thanks
Craig
Hi carig

I think most people will agree! you have little or no chance of getting a one way ticket without some proof that you are leaving that country, otherwise if you get refused entry it will be the airlines responsibility to fly you back.

Best reason? your visiting

As for a work visa you have no chance unless you have a offer from a Canadian employer and they have authorisation from hrdc, in which the employer must prove that no Canadian citizen then permanent resident can fill the job and must advertise it to the general public first.

When you do get married in Canada this will entitle you too nothing apart from a quicker route to apply for immigration through family class.

My recommendations is to start looking at applying for immigration now http://www.cic.gc.ca and get all the paperwork together

Once married submit the application for immigration
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by matty266
Hi carig

I think most people will agree! you have little or no chance of getting a one way ticket without some proof that you are leaving that country, otherwise if you get refused entry it will be the airlines responsibility to fly you back.

Best reason? your visiting

As for a work visa you have no chance unless you have a offer from a Canadian employer and they have authorisation from hrdc, in which the employer must prove that no Canadian citizen then permanent resident can fill the job and must advertise it to the general public first.

When you do get married in Canada this will entitle you too nothing apart from a quicker route to apply for immigration through family class.

My recommendations is to start looking at applying for immigration now http://www.cic.gc.ca and get all the paperwork together

Once married submit the application for immigration

Thanks for the quick response.

So I need to buy and return ticket and tell immigration that I am just visiting.

There seems to be a lot of contradiction in the world of immigration. Me and my girlfriend have been together for 4 years after meeting in Australia. We have dealt with immigration in the UK and in Canada. We have both lived in each other's country for a period of time. Me as a visitor in Canada and her on a work permit in the UK. Every time we speak to immigration they tell us something different. However they always tell us the easiest way to be together is to get married. So we are.

I have spoke to a immigration lawyer in Canada and they tell us that I must tell immigration when I arrive in Canada of my intentions to marry my girfriend and stay or I could get in trouble later. Also they said that If I get married then I can apply for residence straight away and also a work permitt which I should get before my residence.

We are thinking or hiring a immigration lawyer to deal with this process. Will this help our us.

Also if we are married does that mean I can not be kick out of the country.

Thanks
Craig
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the quick response.

So I need to buy and return ticket and tell immigration that I am just visiting.

There seems to be a lot of contradiction in the world of immigration. Me and my girlfriend have been together for 4 years after meeting in Australia. We have dealt with immigration in the UK and in Canada. We have both lived in each other's country for a period of time. Me as a visitor in Canada and her on a work permit in the UK. Every time we speak to immigration they tell us something different. However they always tell us the easiest way to be together is to get married. So we are.

I have spoke to a immigration lawyer in Canada and they tell us that I must tell immigration when I arrive in Canada of my intentions to marry my girfriend and stay or I could get in trouble later. Also they said that If I get married then I can apply for residence straight away and also a work permitt which I should get before my residence.

We are thinking or hiring a immigration lawyer to deal with this process. Will this help our us.

Also if we are married does that mean I can not be kick out of the country.

Thanks
Craig
Hi Craig

I have been in the same situation as my wife is Canadian and i married her in Canada as a visitor, it does sound best that you are married and does make it a little easier.

As for telling the immigration control officer on landing your intentions that is fine but he will still stamp the passport for only 6 months, which after that period if you have not applied for an extension or have gained PR status then you will be committing an offence which will impede your immigration

Just because of marriage you still can get deported and sent back (Kicked out)

Immigration Lawyers are fine but can sit on applications and also usually isn't there main work, i would save your money and apply for family class now at http://www.cic.gc.ca

As for work permit it is not the same as in UK where a spouse can just apply and get the permit, you have to have an employment granted in Canada already to achieve a work permit weather you are married or not and weather you are in the country or not

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/epb/lmd/fw...rnat.shtml#wtc

The Employer must prove that it has opened the job to the local labour market first to citizens then to Permanent residents first, before applying to hrdc to employ a foreign worker this can take months.

which once your married and applied for immigration will probably take less time to get than a work permit,

If you go for an out of Canada application Ie it gets processed in London it will take only 3months+

good luck
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Craig

I have been in the same situation as my wife is Canadian and i married her in Canada as a visitor, it does sound best that you are married and does make it a little easier.

As for telling the immigration control officer on landing your intentions that is fine but he will still stamp the passport for only 6 months, which after that period if you have not applied for an extension or have gained PR status then you will be committing an offence which will impede your immigration

Just because of marriage you still can get deported and sent back (Kicked out)

Immigration Lawyers are fine but can sit on applications and also usually isn't there main work, i would save your money and apply for family class now at http://www.cic.gc.ca

As for work permit it is not the same as in UK where a spouse can just apply and get the permit, you have to have an employment granted in Canada already to achieve a work permit weather you are married or not and weather you are in the country or not

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/epb/lmd/fw...rnat.shtml#wtc

The Employer must prove that it has opened the job to the local labour market first to citizens then to Permanent residents first, before applying to hrdc to employ a foreign worker this can take months.

which once your married and applied for immigration will probably take less time to get than a work permit,

If you go for an out of Canada application Ie it gets processed in London it will take only 3months+

good luck
Thanks again for the response

So, Does that mean that if I move to Canada and marry my girlfriend then I will not be allowed to work for - How Long? I am not sure about the applying for work in Canada. How is this done - via on-line Job pages in Canada. I have done this and nothing happens. It seems a very difficult way. I do have university qualifications and have over 5 years IT work experience which is listed in 'Spousal Program' for work. However that say's 'You must be authorized to work in Canada for six months or longer'. How is this possible?

How did you process your applications. Before you went Canada? How long did you have to wait for your PR Status and Work Visa?

I feel as if I can not get a correct answer for my situation. I have been told so many difference things by different people, it's hard to believe which is right. At least you have been through what I am about to. I appreciate all your help and information you can give me.

Thanks
Craig
Old Aug 25th 2005, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

So, Does that mean that if I move to Canada and marry my girlfriend then I will not be allowed to work for - How Long? I am not sure about the applying for work in Canada. How is this done - via on-line Job pages in Canada. I have done this and nothing happens. It seems a very difficult way. I do have university qualifications and have over 5 years IT work experience which is listed in 'Spousal Program' for work. However that say's 'You must be authorized to work in Canada for six months or longer'. How is this possible?

How did you process your applications. Before you went Canada? How long did you have to wait for your PR Status and Work Visa?

I feel as if I can not get a correct answer for my situation. I have been told so many difference things by different people, it's hard to believe which is right. At least you have been through what I am about to. I appreciate all your help and information you can give me.

Thanks
Craig
Hi again

That is correct You will not be allowed to work without a Work permit and job offer from an employer who will complete this for you, How long until you get Permanent resident status ie complete immigration or a job offer

Applying for a work permit must be done by the employer who offers you the job, my only recommendation is job websites that stipulate they are looking for foreign workers

As for Spousal Program I don't know on that sorry!

I worked and lived in Canada for a total of two years, without a work permit as i was working for the British government in particular the MOD on a contract, this was coming to an end so my wife and i looked into immigration and got the paperwork together this took about 10 months security clearances took the longest RCMP 6 months

My contract ended in may and flew back to UK then came back to Canada a week later on a return ticket, i got married in the august and the wife had to finish studying which she had a grant for so i stayed home and looked after the kids for nine months till she finished this January it was then we decided it would better for me to come back to UK and work we submitted our application to be processed out of Canada

My passport was called forward in April so it took 3 months and a bit to process, i now have PR status and can work in Canada

While in Canada i extended my stay by applying for a TRV Temporary resident Visa

I'm still in UK but am landing on the 7th October my wife is over here at the moment on holiday.

I recommend you goto the cic website download and print all the application and start collecting the security checks and then do your medical just before you submit your application to CPC missisagga, if i had known i would have started the security check sooner for canada if you need them.

Uk takes about 40 days for the police check

There are many routes to go down and you can get a work permit but it takes along time, you can apply from UK as your wife is Canadian as family class, which might be worth it so you can be together and build up funds maybe?
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

emma69 has a spectacular aura aboutemma69 has a spectacular aura aboutemma69 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks
Craig

I think the 'spousal programme' to which you are refering is the scheme by which accompanying spouses of people on work permits themselves are allowed to work without a special clearence from HRSDC or as much red tape for the work permit (ie, if my partner was in Canada on a work permit [not a canadian citizen or PR] and I was on the original forms as an accompanying spouse, then I would be able to work without a job confirmation from HRSDC - ie I could walk into, say, Tim Horton's, and get a job making coffee, even though there are thousands of Canadians who could do that) However, if you partner is PR or a citizen, this does not apply, and you must obtain a work permit and possibly HRSDC clearence. I know there certainly used to be a special catagory for IT workers, because they were in short supply, where it was easier for them to get either the work permit of HRSDC clearnece (I know a couple of IT bods!) but not sure if this is still the case, you may want to contact HRSDC and ask.

As for hiring an immigration lawyer, I looked at doing this with an esteemed immigration law firm in Toronto, and he wanted to charge me approx $3000 to do it - this was on top of the $200 I spent for the inital 10 minute appointment :scared: The forms are freely available, thousands of people each year manage to complete them, so I chose not to use an immigration lawyer.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emma69
I think the 'spousal programme' to which you are refering is the scheme by which accompanying spouses of people on work permits themselves are allowed to work without a special clearence from HRSDC or as much red tape for the work permit (ie, if my partner was in Canada on a work permit [not a canadian citizen or PR] and I was on the original forms as an accompanying spouse, then I would be able to work without a job confirmation from HRSDC - ie I could walk into, say, Tim Horton's, and get a job making coffee, even though there are thousands of Canadians who could do that) However, if you partner is PR or a citizen, this does not apply, and you must obtain a work permit and possibly HRSDC clearence. I know there certainly used to be a special catagory for IT workers, because they were in short supply, where it was easier for them to get either the work permit of HRSDC clearnece (I know a couple of IT bods!) but not sure if this is still the case, you may want to contact HRSDC and ask.

As for hiring an immigration lawyer, I looked at doing this with an esteemed immigration law firm in Toronto, and he wanted to charge me approx $3000 to do it - this was on top of the $200 I spent for the inital 10 minute appointment :scared: The forms are freely available, thousands of people each year manage to complete them, so I chose not to use an immigration lawyer.

I have been told by 2 different immigration lawyers that they can get me a work permit 3 months after getting married while my PR Application is being processed. Does anyone else know of this and has anyone had good success using a immigration lawyer.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

I have been told by 2 different immigration lawyers that they can get me a work permit 3 months after getting married while my PR Application is being processed. Does anyone else know of this and has anyone had good success using a immigration lawyer.
Also - do I have to wait until I get married before I can start processing my applications for PR and Work Permitt.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Also - do I have to wait until I get married before I can start processing my applications for PR and Work Permitt.
You can start processing your application as common law and say your getting married if you can prove that it is a common law partnership and you have lived together
ref CIC.gc.ca Spousal Sponsorship

if not wait till you get married and complete the security checks and medicals just before marriage to give maximum valid time

If you have spent longer than 6 months in any other country apply as soon as possible especially Canada for these as these hold up quite a few people

if you were to submit your application after you were married to CPC-M as a spousal sponsor to be processed in London the waiting time at the moment is about 3.5 months (Please update anyone)

so In my opinion i don't think the immigration lawyer would benefit you much even if he did get a work permit for you it could be a job doing something you don't want to do or even in a different province

The spousal program the other poster has suggested is for a spouse of a work permit which i know nothing about!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

You can start processing your application as common law and say your getting married if you can prove that it is a common law partnership and you have lived together
ref CIC.gc.ca Spousal Sponsorship

if not wait till you get married and complete the security checks and medicals just before marriage to give maximum valid time

If you have spent longer than 6 months in any other country apply as soon as possible especially Canada for these as these hold up quite a few people

if you were to submit your application after you were married to CPC-M as a spousal sponsor to be processed in London the waiting time at the moment is about 3.5 months (Please update anyone)

so In my opinion i don't think the immigration lawyer would benefit you much even if he did get a work permit for you it could be a job doing something you don't want to do or even in a different province

The spousal program the other poster has suggested is for a spouse of a work permit which i know nothing about!

Ok - so now I am confussed on the work permitt front. From my understanding - once you have been given a work permit you can apply for any job available in Ontario. . (in my case - Computer or IT Related).

CPC-M ?

Also if we are both living in Canada after we are married - should it not be best to apply for my residence in Canada.

Also - look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/offices/apply-where.html

It states

Applicants for Permanent Residence
You must apply in your country of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted for at least one year.

Does this mean I have to apply from the UK.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Seamus73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok - so now I am confussed on the work permitt front. From my understanding - once you have been given a work permit you can apply for any job available in Ontario. . (in my case - Computer or IT Related).
There are two basic types of work permit so far as I am aware. An Open work permit is as you described, you can work where you like for who you like. A closed work permit (which is what I had) only permits you to work for a specific company.

CPC-M ?
The Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, this is where all sponsorship applications for spousal/family class are sent. Just up the road from where I now live!

Also if we are both living in Canada after we are married - should it not be best to apply for my residence in Canada.
This is where it gets subjective. I have no idea which is the BEST way to do it. I will just tell you what myself (UK citizen, PR in Canada) and my English girlfriend considered... If you apply within Canada you will likely get first stage approval in around 6-8 months from what we read. At this point you can apply for an Open Work permit. Full PR will follow in 18 months or so I think (may be less?) If you apply in London its entirely possible you will get the full PR status in 6-8 months so you can start working just as soon. Just to clarify BTW, you can apply "outside" of Canda whilst living over here. Your forms just get sent back to England.

Does this mean I have to apply from the UK.
My girlfriend is living in Canada with me, but had her forms sent to the London Visa office. All forms get sent to CPC-M first and on the forms you indicate where you want them processing. As a resident of Canada she had the option of sending them to Buffalo but chose the UK because of the shorter processing times.

I'm no expert on any of this so please don't take any of this as gospel!!

Good luck

Last edited by Seamus73; Aug 30th 2005 at 2:04 am.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seamus73
There are two basic types of work permit so far as I am aware. An Open work permit is as you described, you can work where you like for who you like. A closed work permit (which is what I had) only permits you to work for a specific company.

The Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, this is where all sponsorship applications for spousal/family class are sent. Just up the road from where I now live!

This is where it gets subjective. I have no idea which is the BEST way to do it. I will just tell you what myself (UK citizen, PR in Canada) and my English girlfriend considered... If you apply within Canada you will likely get first stage approval in around 6-8 months from what we read. At this point you can apply for an Open Work permit. Full PR will follow in 18 months or so I think (may be less?) If you apply in London its entirely possible you will get the full PR status in 6-8 months so you can start working just as soon. Just to clarify BTW, you can apply "outside" of Canda whilst living over here. Your forms just get sent back to England.

My girlfriend is living in Canada with me, but had her forms sent to the London Visa office. All forms get sent to CPC-M first and on the forms you indicate where you want them processing. As a resident of Canada she had the option of sending them to Buffalo but chose the UK because of the shorter processing times.

I'm no expert on any of this so please don't take any of this as gospel!!

Good luck

This is all good information. I would like to thanks everyone for their advise.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

This is all good information. I would like to thanks everyone for their advise.

Also - do I need to get travel insurance when move to Canada and for how long?
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Also - do I need to get travel insurance when move to Canada and for how long?
I could be mistaken, but I thought that travel insurance covered you for short break holidays (i.e. not permanently moving to a place). Do you mean health insurance? If so, it's not a bad idea to get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.