Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

One of my worst nightmare comes true

One of my worst nightmare comes true

Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:13 am
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough
Default One of my worst nightmare comes true

One of my worst nightmare came true. I just received a letter from the CIC Buffalo asking for my Australian Police Certificate. Now, I mailed this to them back on Sept 1, 2004. I sent it by courier and I know it arrived as I also sent my change of address form with it and they have my correct new address so they must have the police certificate.

What really upsets my about this is that the Australian police certificate takes 8 weeks, costs $100 and I just can't imagine the delays to my application this will cause. This means that I most likely will not be able to mail another Australian police check back to Buffalo until mid to late Feb 2005 and then who knows how much longer I have to wait.

How can I clear this up? I will fax them a letter to say I did send them the Australian police check but will this really help? All I ever read is that Buffalo never respond to faxes anyway and I can't speak to a real person. I just feel like giving up completely. I am stuck in Canada unable to work while I wait for this nightmare to end. I really couldn't feel worse right now. I am home alone right now with no one to talk to about this. My case is family class common law.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

willhrhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One of my worst nightmare comes true

I'm so sorry this has happened. I don't have advice...I know someone will though. I will be thinking of you.
Will

Originally Posted by ozinca
One of my worst nightmare came true. I just received a letter from the CIC Buffalo asking for my Australian Police Certificate. Now, I mailed this to them back on Sept 1, 2004. I sent it by courier and I know it arrived as I also sent my change of address form with it and they have my correct new address so they must have the police certificate.

What really upsets my about this is that the Australian police certificate takes 8 weeks, costs $100 and I just can't imagine the delays to my application this will cause. This means that I most likely will not be able to mail another Australian police check back to Buffalo until mid to late Feb 2005 and then who knows how much longer I have to wait.

How can I clear this up? I will fax them a letter to say I did send them the Australian police check but will this really help? All I ever read is that Buffalo never respond to faxes anyway and I can't speak to a real person. I just feel like giving up completely. I am stuck in Canada unable to work while I wait for this nightmare to end. I really couldn't feel worse right now. I am home alone right now with no one to talk to about this. My case is family class common law.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

prodigy346 is an unknown quantity at this point

Easy, apply for the police certificate, and meanwhile fax them a response to let them know that this was already sent (attach a courier receipt) on sept 1 and that it takes x number of days to process a new one in australia. Maybe they will continue processing without it or do a more thorough check of your file.

Originally Posted by willhrhodes
I'm so sorry this has happened. I don't have advice...I know someone will though. I will be thinking of you.
Will
Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:10 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear that man. I have a feeling something like this is going to happen to me too. I've been waiting for my passport request for the last month or so. I have a feeling what I will get instead is a nice letter like the one you got :scared:

Prodigy had a good advice, I only disagree with his choice of words when he said "easy"! I don't think so! I would apply for a new certificate and in the same time contact Buffalo. This is really all you can do!

Hang in there man!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Iggy is an unknown quantity at this point

That is aweful...I hope that things work out for you. All the best.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

nonong is an unknown quantity at this point

This almost exact incident happened to me. We were in South Carolina and we mailed our FBI Certificates along with other documents and our payment for landing fees. The New York Consulate claimed that they did not receive our FBI certificates, and I told them that was impossible since they charged my credit card for the landing fees, which means that they received the entire package. I sent letter after letter after letter, and they just kept on sending me their stupid form letter and continued to claim that they did not receive it. So my wife and I decided to fly to NY and we went to the Consulate personally. When we got to the window, they still claimed that they had not received the certificate, and we were again very adamant that it was impossible. We showed them xerox copies of the all the certificates, etc. The nice lady asked us to wait and said she would check in the back. After 3 minutes she came back to tell us that yes our FBI certificates were in the back and they had simply been misplaced, etc. Can you imagine that? My wife and I spent over $1500 to make that trip just because they were giving us the run-around. All I can say is that I hope you made copies of the certificate so you can mail that to them as well along with your letter, but to be honest, I don't think you can do anything since these people at embassies do not really want to help any immigrants - most of them are dedicated to making it extremely difficult for would-be immigrants. It's just their nature.

Last edited by nonong; Dec 8th 2004 at 9:34 am.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:18 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nonong
This almost exact incident happened to me. We were in South Carolina and we mailed our FBI Certificates along with other documents and our payment for landing fees. The New York Consulate claimed that they did not receive our FBI certificates, and I told them that was impossible since they charged my credit card for the landing fees, wihch means that they received the entire package. I sent letter after letter after letter, and they just kept on sending me their stupid form letter and continued to claim that they did not receive it. So my wife and I decided to fly to NY and we went to the Consulate personally. When we got to the window, they still claimed that they had not receive the certificate, and we were again very adamant that it was impossible. We showed them xerox copies of the all the certificates, etc. The nice lady asked us to wait and said she would check in the back. After 3 minutes she came back to tell us that yes our FBI certificates were in the back and they had simply been misplaced, etc. Can you imagine that? My wife and I spent over $1500 to make that trip just because they were giving us the run-around. All I can say is that I hope you made copies of the certificate so you can mail that to them as well along with your letter, but to be honest, I don't think you can do anything since these people at embassies do not really want to help any immigrants - most of them are dedicated to making it extremely difficult for would-be immigrants. It's just their nature.

LOL This is so sad, I'm actually considering getting a new FBI clearance just in case I receive one of those letters How about this for being paranoid!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

The really sad part is that the ones who have dedicated their lives to making it very difficult for would-be immigrants are themselves also immigrants. I remember an Indian lady at the New York Consulate, about late 40's or early 50's, who was extremely rude to us when I was asking her a question about how to bring the money, etc. It was obvious that she did not want to help at all.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you make a copy of clerance report before you sent them? I guess we all never know if something is going to disappear or not, even though we believe that they received it. The best thing, make copies of everything!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:41 am
Happy Canadian PR

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. I am feeling quite numb. I think you can all imagine my heart pounding when an envelope from Buffalo arrived - I thought it would be good news (after nearly 9 months waiting without a word, you can imagine I could bearly contain my excitment).

I will wait till my common law partner gets home (he will be so upset too) and we will write a fax to send to Buffalo but tomorrow I will go once more and have my fingerprints taken, print out the police forms, get the bank draft etc and post everything to Australia. My medicals expire in Feb, and I have no idea what implication this delay will have on them but quite frankly I don't care.

I am seriously doubting our decision to come to Canada. We both had a very good life in Sydney, Australia. My partner's permanent residency application to Australia was not even half the battle of my one to Canada.

Ozinca
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

May I ask why you chose Canada over Australia if you had such a good life in Australia?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:56 am
Happy Canadian PR

Originally Posted by nonong
May I ask why you chose Canada over Australia if you had such a good life in Australia?
My common law partner of 7 years is Canadian. He missed his family and had very good memories of growing up in Toronto. I love to travel and have lived in several countries and don't mind living in a country other than my own.

My partner and I are now at an age where we would like to buy a house and have a family and believed that if we were to live in Canada, now would be the time. We did not choose to come to Canada for a better life, Australia is a wonderful country. It was a decision based on our family situation and our wish to start a family in Canada rather than moove over in years to come.

My application is under family class not skilled worker. Yes, I do have a copy of the police check I sent them but the letter I just got clearly stated originals not photocopies. Believe me, I have copied the entire application. I will fax them a copy of the police check but I know I will not get a response.

Ozinca

Last edited by ozinca; Dec 8th 2004 at 10:02 am.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

NathanS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. I am feeling quite numb. I think you can all imagine my heart pounding when an envelope from Buffalo arrived - I thought it would be good news (after nearly 9 months waiting without a word, you can imagine I could bearly contain my excitment).

I will wait till my common law partner gets home (he will be so upset too) and we will write a fax to send to Buffalo but tomorrow I will go once more and have my fingerprints taken, print out the police forms, get the bank draft etc and post everything to Australia. My medicals expire in Feb, and I have no idea what implication this delay will have on them but quite frankly I don't care.

I am seriously doubting our decision to come to Canada. We both had a very good life in Sydney, Australia. My partner's permanent residency application to Australia was not even half the battle of my one to Canada.

Ozinca
Hi Ozinca,
Why do you need fingerprints? If I remember correctly, all I sent to Canberra was application form and the bank draft. This was last year. And I got it in four weeks. Also someone told me if you have a friend in Oz, he or she can apply on your behalf, get it quickly and fedex it to you.

-NS
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

MrBosco is an unknown quantity at this point

Ozinca,

I know the disappointment you feel because I, too hit a couple of speed bumps on the way to receiving my PR status.

However, I think you need to step back just one second. You should fax Buffalo with copies and try to get them to find the missing clearances. Tell them you are ordering new ones in the event they can not find the old ones. You are correct that they may not respond. Then, just spend the money and order new clearances. If you have not heard from the consulate by the time they arrive, send them on.

I honestly believe that the worst-case scenario is that you will be out the money for the new clearances and your application will be delayed 8 weeks. This is bad, but not the end of the world. I think the odds are that upon receiving your fax, they will find the missing clearances. Maybe (if you can stand it) wait a week before ordering new ones in case they do turn up (they actually do fax sometimes--they faxed me instructions when the data on me and my son's COPR forms was mixed up).

Canadian bureaucracy is incredibly exasperating, but they do seem to end up usually doing the right thing.

hang in there.