Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

One more Question for the Experts!

One more Question for the Experts!

Old Apr 4th 2005, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

dextroyer is on a distinguished road
Default One more Question for the Experts!

Hello, I have a decision to make:

I am a student in Canada right now. My aplication for PR is being processed in Mexico city (I applied in July 2004). I have already been waived and asked for Medicals and Police certificates which I sent about a month ago. My Student Visa expires on Spetember 30th 2005.

If I don't receive my Passport Request before my visa expires, is it likely that they'll let me stay for up to 6 months as a tourist by applying to change the terms and conditions of my stay? Or, is it a safer bet to apply for a program at another school and extend my student visa instead?

Staying beyond the validity of my visa would be stupid mistake that I'm not willing to make. I want to mantain my legal status until I get my PPR (or refusal for that matter). I have been living here in Canada for the past 5 years and I can't just go back home because that would only delay the process and I would loose my apartment, girlfirend, etc.

What should I do?!

Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:20 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One more Question for the Experts!

Nothing. Little bit more time and patience it will be all what needed. You are at the end of the process and in September you will likely already celebrate becoming a PR few months earlier.

Originally Posted by dextroyer
Hello, I have a decision to make:

I am a student in Canada right now. My aplication for PR is being processed in Mexico city (I applied in July 2004). I have already been waived and asked for Medicals and Police certificates which I sent about a month ago. My Student Visa expires on Spetember 30th 2005.

If I don't receive my Passport Request before my visa expires, is it likely that they'll let me stay for up to 6 months as a tourist by applying to change the terms and conditions of my stay? Or, is it a safer bet to apply for a program at another school and extend my student visa instead?

Staying beyond the validity of my visa would be stupid mistake that I'm not willing to make. I want to mantain my legal status until I get my PPR (or refusal for that matter). I have been living here in Canada for the past 5 years and I can't just go back home because that would only delay the process and I would loose my apartment, girlfirend, etc.

What should I do?!

Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

dextroyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One more Question for the Experts!

Thank you Mr. Miller for your answer. I will concentrate in school and patiently wait for the next letter from the embassy and hopefully my next post would have the words "got it" in it