OMG Positive Advice & Help Needed

Old Dec 28th 2007, 11:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG Positive Advice & Help Needed

Originally Posted by bazzz
I'm pretty sure the whole commonwealth thing is completely irrelevant for this kind of stuff.
It used to mean something - before 1962, which is when the United Kingdom imposed immigration control on Canadian citizens.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

shahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really nice

Dartmoor

I cannot answer any of your questions but wanted to wish you well.

What you are currently experiening is unfortunately meant to be for you but I expect that you will come out the other side of this a much stronger and contented person.

Stay positive, try not to worry (though I know that's esier said than done) it saps too much energy, everything will work out for you.

Sending you virtual hugs and karma.

Kelly
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Tanty is an unknown quantity at this point

Like others here, I also cannot offer any assistance. But I did want to wish you all the best and just say keep your head up through this ordeal. And as you say, the huge silver lining to all of this is that you got those medicals done and found it when you did.

I hope 2008 is more favorable to you and your others.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:40 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dartmoor_3 I am sending you positive vibes, I am convinced they are key to beating this disease, let me briefly tell you my story, I hope it helps.

Sept 2004, I moved to Canada on a work permit, hubby came with me but couldn't get a WP off the back of my permit so was not allowed to work. We had planned for this so weren't at all worried about only earning one really crap wage!

Oct 2004, sent in PR application to London. AOR rec'd Nov 8th.

Sept 2005, hated job but realised it was just a means to an end, hubby was getting a bit bored at home all day. I was diagnosed with cancer!

Sept 05 - Jan 06, my employer gave me the full 5 months off work but didn't pay me a penny! My tumor measured 7cm x 4cm - I was crapping myself.

Chemo & radiotherapy was successful and I was given the all clear in Jan 06.

March 06, med requests for PR were received.

We didn't know what the outcome of my very recent cancer battle would be with regards to obtaining permanent residence status.

May 06, received PPR and landed!

All my medical costs except tablets (anti sickness etc) were covered by AB health.

We didn't claim any sickness benefits at all (still not sure if we would have been eligible to claim anything) we just didn't feel like it was the right thing to do, being as we had only just moved to the country and we slated immigrants in the UK who took advantage of the welfare system.

I wrote a book about my experience fighting cancer which was published in October 2007.

It may be difficult for you to think very far ahead right now, just remember that your mind is your most powerful weapon. You will achieve health and I am sure you will achieve your PR status. Be confident & positive and surround yourself with others who can lift you up. We knew very few people in Canada so I just emailed everyone who loved me and asked that they join my positive thinking team!

Less than 3 months after the end of my treatment, I walked up the 802 steps of the Calgary tower to raise money for the hospital that treated me, I believe that it is important to give something back.

Good luck, Louise x
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

saskia65 has a spectacular aura aboutsaskia65 has a spectacular aura aboutsaskia65 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by louise033
I wrote a book about my experience fighting cancer which was published in October 2007.

It may be difficult for you to think very far ahead right now, just remember that your mind is your most powerful weapon. You will achieve health and I am sure you will achieve your PR status. Be confident & positive and surround yourself with others who can lift you up. We knew very few people in Canada so I just emailed everyone who loved me and asked that they join my positive thinking team!

Less than 3 months after the end of my treatment, I walked up the 802 steps of the Calgary tower to raise money for the hospital that treated me, I believe that it is important to give something back.

Good luck, Louise x
Hi folks

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it made interesting reading for me.
I left the forum (was Saskia07) for a few days last week, for a couple of reasons, one of them being that I've been diagnosed with a tumor which I'll be having treatment for shortly. It's not all doom and gloom as I'm told it should be relatively straightforward to treat, and it's benign.

Obviously, the priority is for me to get well before I pursue my plans to emigrate, but I've decided that being positive is the only way to be, so I'm going to crack on regardless, and I've returned to the forum. I know a lot will come down to the prognosis post treatment, and the medical, but I'll give it my best shot and what will be will be. I'm no quitter!

It's so encouraging to read your experiences Louise - just what I need at the moment.

Having rambled, the main question for me is the name of Louise's book - sounds like something I should read - and pronto?

Thanks for reading,

Sas x
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:37 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saskia65
Hi folks

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it made interesting reading for me.
I left the forum (was Saskia07) for a few days last week, for a couple of reasons, one of them being that I've been diagnosed with a tumor which I'll be having treatment for shortly. It's not all doom and gloom as I'm told it should be relatively straightforward to treat, and it's benign.

Obviously, the priority is for me to get well before I pursue my plans to emigrate, but I've decided that being positive is the only way to be, so I'm going to crack on regardless, and I've returned to the forum. I know a lot will come down to the prognosis post treatment, and the medical, but I'll give it my best shot and what will be will be. I'm no quitter!

It's so encouraging to read your experiences Louise - just what I need at the moment.

Having rambled, the main question for me is the name of Louise's book - sounds like something I should read - and pronto?

Thanks for reading,

Sas x
Hi Sas...........Really wishing you all the best and hope everything comes right for you, A.S.A.P.........Heres to your very happy future
Good Luck X
y
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:43 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to wish you well fighting your fight Sas.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

saskia65 has a spectacular aura aboutsaskia65 has a spectacular aura aboutsaskia65 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Piff Poff and Sans

Thanks for the good wishes. I think now I've done three posts I can PM Louise for the info on her book.
I read a post a minute ago from someone whose family is facing cancer....my tumor is a problem, but benign. Makes me feel lucky inspite of everything.

Thanks for thinking of me, I haven't told many people in the 'real' world, but I've had lots of support from those I have. Very touching.

Thanks again
Sas x
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:23 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sas,
I will now stop moaning about house not selling and missing my husband.....

I was diagnosed when I was 31 years old with cervical cancer, I was extremely lucky, other than having to have a full hysterectomy I did not need any other treatment. Unfortunately I had not had children, IVF failed, so I was going to be childless.

Two years later I met a wonderful man, fell in love, his partner had left him with 3 beautiful children, aged 2,3 and 5. We became a very happy family who are now moving to Canada.

I wish you all the best with your treatment, positve mental attitude I honestly believe is a great healer.

All the best
Charlie
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Hi Charlie

Thank you so much for sharing your story, and what a fantastic outcome for you! Really uplifting.

I can't have kids anyway, a long story, so I do understand what a blessing it must be to have inherited a bunch of your own!

I have a brain tumor, which scared the life out of me when I found out, but I'm sort of dealing with it now. The words 'brain tumor' have the same effect on me as the word 'cancer', panic stations, full alert. OMG. I even planned an alternative funeral for myself. (I kid you not. lol) But it isn't as bad as it could be. It looks like they will be able to treat it with something called Gamma Knife treatment. This is non invasive - so no big operation, I don't have to shave my head (I can't see myself as Sinead O'C) and only an overnight stay in hospital. It's all highly targeted so hopefully there will be no impact on the rest of my brain.

Now I just want to get it over with so I can get the magical 'all clear' prognosis and get on with my plans. It's funny though, when you get a 'knock' from life, there's always some positives? My friends have been wonderful - one even forced me (lol) to go away with his family for a week to get some sun so I'd be fully fit to face the treatment. I'm single, so it was soooo appreciated. Hard facing something like this alone.

While I was away I met a guy for a couple of drinks and he's been amazingly supportive. He hardly knows me, apart from having my life story dumped on him in a bar, but he's been fantastic, and extremely positive, which is what I need. Maybe we do have guardian angels looking out for us, but in human form?

I have moments when I think how **** life is, and why me? but then I give myself a kick and tell myself to 'get a grip'. It could be so much worse.

I'd feel a hell of a lot better too if I hadn't gone out last night and had one too many Margaritas....but that's self inflicted...so I don't expect sympathy there!

Thanks again,

Sas x
PS I don't think I can give Karma yet, but if I could, a bucket would be coming your way!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:00 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

So glad you have some good friends in your corner its not easy going through any of lifes pit falls without them, expecially when your not well

Just got out of hospital myself and without one or two cyber friends on here supporting me in the last few months.........Well they got me through all the down days thats for sure

So just keep talking on here as much as you need, their are afew angels that look in
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dartmoor_3
Thank you Sans and to everyone who's commented and sent us their best wishes.

As you can imagine we're still going through the shock of it all at the moment and just taking each day as it comes, good days and... the me not bothering to get dressed days. Once the holidays are over we can start chasing for some answers, although we're hoping that our PR will come through before February but in the meantime we'll try and get another years extension to our work permits.

Everyone has been very kind at the medical center, so I have all the books, leaflets and cards for finding a cancer support group in the new year. Some family members are also going to travel out for two weeks at a time from February onwards, so this will help once I'm in treatment.

So I'll not post anymore messages until I have some positive updates in the Spring, I would just like to say that you guys have been awesome so here's wishing you all a very happy new year.
Dear Dartmoor,

I'm pretty new to this forum and after reading your story it really did put things into perspective. I have no advice to offer, but I think you're one brave lady and I'm convinced with your positive attitude you'll beat this..

I really do wish you all the very best for the future.

Kind Regards

Yogi.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:24 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
Dear Dartmoor,

I'm pretty new to this forum and after reading your story it really did put things into perspective. I have no advice to offer, but I think you're one brave lady and I'm convinced with your positive attitude you'll beat this..

I really do wish you all the very best for the future.

Kind Regards

Yogi.
Dartmoor 3's not been back to us since december, hope she's doing OK...
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by louise033
Hi Dartmoor_3 I am sending you positive vibes, I am convinced they are key to beating this disease, let me briefly tell you my story, I hope it helps.

Sept 2004, I moved to Canada on a work permit, hubby came with me but couldn't get a WP off the back of my permit so was not allowed to work. We had planned for this so weren't at all worried about only earning one really crap wage!

Oct 2004, sent in PR application to London. AOR rec'd Nov 8th.

Sept 2005, hated job but realised it was just a means to an end, hubby was getting a bit bored at home all day. I was diagnosed with cancer!

Sept 05 - Jan 06, my employer gave me the full 5 months off work but didn't pay me a penny! My tumor measured 7cm x 4cm - I was crapping myself.

Chemo & radiotherapy was successful and I was given the all clear in Jan 06.

March 06, med requests for PR were received.

We didn't know what the outcome of my very recent cancer battle would be with regards to obtaining permanent residence status.

May 06, received PPR and landed!

All my medical costs except tablets (anti sickness etc) were covered by AB health.

We didn't claim any sickness benefits at all (still not sure if we would have been eligible to claim anything) we just didn't feel like it was the right thing to do, being as we had only just moved to the country and we slated immigrants in the UK who took advantage of the welfare system.

Good luck, Louise x
Hi Louise,

This too is a very remarkable story, and a very touching gesture with regards to the tower steps and giving back. If only more people would think along those lines? Imagine the endless possibilities..

Here in the Uk my son was confined to a special care baby unit when he was born. The staff worked endlessly to keep things going and did a great job.

The day we bought him home, I made a substantial donation to that unit as they struggled for equipment and we're asking for donations!

Today he is a healthy 16 yr old My donation to them was a way for me to say a BIG BIG thank you!

Just like you this was important to me.

Very touching story indeed.

Regards

Yogi
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saskia65
Hi Piff Poff and Sans

Thanks for the good wishes. I think now I've done three posts I can PM Louise for the info on her book.
I read a post a minute ago from someone whose family is facing cancer....my tumor is a problem, but benign. Makes me feel lucky inspite of everything.

Thanks for thinking of me, I haven't told many people in the 'real' world, but I've had lots of support from those I have. Very touching.

Thanks again
Sas x

Saskia, good luck with the treatment!!

Louise's book is called A Year in My Shoes - http://www.louiselampard.com/ayearinmyshoes.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.