omg, i am so confused!

Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

linzee_loulabelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default omg, i am so confused!

ok... i have a Canadian bf and we are now at the point where we want to move in together and me emigrate there. What i dont understand is... i am a UK citizen and as far as i can tell... i can only visit Canada for 6 months. From what iv read, you can only sponsor a spouse after living together for a year. I dont understand how we are supposed to do this for this long, if for 1. i cant stay that long and 2. i cant work while im over there to help support ourselves. I would greatly appreciate some help or advice.

Lyndsey
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: omg, i am so confused!

You can sponsor a spouse pretty much as soon as you get married, provided you can demonstrate it's a real marriage and not a marriage of convenience.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:53 am
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linzee_loulabelle
ok... i have a Canadian bf and we are now at the point where we want to move in together and me emigrate there. What i dont understand is... i am a UK citizen and as far as i can tell... i can only visit Canada for 6 months. From what iv read, you can only sponsor a spouse after living together for a year. I dont understand how we are supposed to do this for this long, if for 1. i cant stay that long and 2. i cant work while im over there to help support ourselves. I would greatly appreciate some help or advice.

Lyndsey
How old are you Lyndsey? Not to be rude but you may qualify for BUNAC working holiday Visa if you're under thirty. This entitles you to work in in Canada for one year. If you find a good job, and an employer who is willing to keep you on, you may be able to switch to a Work Permit (obviously not that easy but we'll get to that later!). Then once you have your one year continuous living you can apply for PR though the spousal sponsorship route.

But a BUNAC Working Holiday Visa is definitley the easiest way to work in Canada.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

linzee_loulabelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, we are not ready for marriage yet, so thats not the way to go about it, i am under 30 so ill deff look into the BUNAC working holiday thing, it sounds like a good idea if it means we can live together for a year and i get to work aswell.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:59 am
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linzee_loulabelle
Thanks, we are not ready for marriage yet, so thats not the way to go about it, i am under 30 so ill deff look into the BUNAC working holiday thing, it sounds like a good idea if it means we can live together for a year and i get to work aswell.
Yeah, I was in exactly the same position as you, so BUNAC was a lifesaver. if your a student you can keep applying, but as a non student you can only apply once.

I'm not sure if they're taking applications for 2006 still, but its a relatively short and inexpensive process (mine took a total of six weeks i think)

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/eligibility.aspx

Last edited by andrewrb143; Nov 15th 2006 at 10:07 am.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

toaster is on a distinguished road

As andrewrb143 says, BUNAC is definitely the way to go.

A small # of BUNAC open work visas have just recently become available for 2006, but this is quite unusual. They usually go fast and if you miss the boat, you have to wait until the following year.

I got a BUNAC visa this year and got my application in asap. From what I remember, they were all gone (initially at least) by March. So just to advise that if you are planning to apply for 2007, do so early. You are able to arrive anytime after the visa is issued and before 31-Dec-2007.

Good luck -- Canada is awesome!