Old SW route and points system

Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:47 am
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of
Default Old SW route and points system

Just out of curiosity, if a person's points on the old skilled worker (simplified process) are borderline i.e 67-69 from doing online test. Is this risky, will the application possibly get turned down?

I am borderline, and i want to know of any options to improve my points - i was thinking of taking some more qualifications, but money is quite tight at the moment, without my dipping into landing funds, which i do not want to do

Does anyone have any ideas? I have about a year, maybe more before they should start to look at my application, as I applied in November 2007, AOR January 2008.

Emmjay
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:52 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old SW route and points system

67 or 87 points, there are no guarantees in this process. The trick is to be able to prove what you have claimed.

As long as you can document your points sufficiently well, then you have just as much chance of success (eventually) as anyone else....just dont kid yourself when you are doing the assessment, don't round up or assume you will get points for education or languages that are not really there.

Diplomas etc are a case in point...will it count as full time education for additional credit...
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:24 am
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of

Thanks Iaink

Will keep looking into this and see, a lot of my diplomas are one year courses taken over several years and a lot are from part time courses, so might have more, but i was calculating mine by erring on the cautious side. I might take another couple of diplomas, cannot hurt to try and keep on trying.

Emmjay
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

Aren't the points calculated on the basis of what you would get as at the time of the application, so any extra work experience or qualifications that you obtain after the form has been sent in won't count, or am I mistaken about that?

And everything I've heard suggests that there's no such thing as "borderline", i.e. 67 points is just as good as 77 or 87 and you just have to make sure that you get at least that magic number.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:33 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmjay
Just out of curiosity, if a person's points on the old skilled worker (simplified process) are borderline i.e 67-69 from doing online test. Is this risky, will the application possibly get turned down?

I am borderline, and i want to know of any options to improve my points - i was thinking of taking some more qualifications, but money is quite tight at the moment, without my dipping into landing funds, which i do not want to do

Does anyone have any ideas? I have about a year, maybe more before they should start to look at my application, as I applied in November 2007, AOR January 2008.

Emmjay
Hi Emmjay

If you think you are borderline the first thing to do is to double-check your point score. You dont want to wait all that time to find out you didnt have enough. And the trouble with the online test is people tend to err on the positive side when choosing from the options.

If you dont have any problem with posting details of your work, education etc on here I'll give you a second opinion on your point score or alternatively feel free to PM me with the info.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:40 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KS2008
Aren't the points calculated on the basis of what you would get as at the time of the application, so any extra work experience or qualifications that you obtain after the form has been sent in won't count, or am I mistaken about that?
No, your points score doesnt get "locked-in" at the date of application like some other things. So if you gain a new qualification after applying but prior to your application being processed that that will be taken into account.

Originally Posted by KS2008
And everything I've heard suggests that there's no such thing as "borderline", i.e. 67 points is just as good as 77 or 87 and you just have to make sure that you get at least that magic number.
Well yes and no. You're right that 67 is just as good at 87 but the trouble is because people apply based on their own assessment of what their point score is there is a risk of them being slightly out. For example a common mistake is for someone with a 3-year non-university credential and 14 years to claim 22 points but actually the points are awarded based on the number of years education in this case rather than on the level of the credential so they would only get 20. Similarly someone with basic ability in French might try to claim 4 points (one for each of speaking, reading, writing and listening) without realising that basic ability in a second language is limited to a maximum of 2 points. The devil is in the detail as they say.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

take another couple of diplomas???

ten diplomas equals one diploma in most circumstances

better off taking a French course and aiming for two points on the TEF test

or find a hunky Canadian lumberjack.....???
Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:07 am
Yorkshire Lass

Hi NSPaul

I do not have a problem with my education, have done various things, as did not know what i wanted to do - wish i had taken a degree, but maybe in another life.....??

I erred on the cautious side when calculating my online, points - only calculated for two to three years full time education, which is why i calculated at 67 or 69??
Here goes: Was not sure if all of these would count on points etc.

1 year Diploma Medical Secretary (work based)
1 year Diploma in Hotel Reception (f/time)
1 year Diploma in Overseas Resorts Representative f/time)
1 year Diploma in Retail/Retail Management (f/time)
1 year Diploma in Word Processing - advanced level 3 (p/time)
1 year Diploma in computer applications (f/time)
several part time courses (medical terminology and first aid at work etc.

Work experience: more than 4 years required.

Almost Five years as Medical Secretary - current position.
Four years in Medical Administration
Two years General Office Administrator
Six years "as and when needed" Health Care Assistant
1 year Hotel Receptionist
4 years Retail - Working in various shops

Do not have any French (very basic spoken), top marks for English on all sections. No family in Canada, no partner/OH etc, have not lived/studied in Canada before - so no marks for adaptability.

Hope i have not missed anything out.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Emmjay
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:45 am
Immigration Consultant

Hi NSPaul

I do not have a problem with my education, have done various things, as did not know what i wanted to do - wish i had taken a degree, but maybe in another life.....??

I erred on the cautious side when calculating my online, points - only calculated for two to three years full time education, which is why i calculated at 67 or 69??
Here goes: Was not sure if all of these would count on points etc.

1 year Diploma Medical Secretary (work based)
1 year Diploma in Hotel Reception (f/time)
1 year Diploma in Overseas Resorts Representative f/time)
1 year Diploma in Retail/Retail Management (f/time)
1 year Diploma in Word Processing - advanced level 3 (p/time)
1 year Diploma in computer applications (f/time)
several part time courses (medical terminology and first aid at work etc.

Work experience: more than 4 years required.

Almost Five years as Medical Secretary - current position.
Four years in Medical Administration
Two years General Office Administrator
Six years "as and when needed" Health Care Assistant
1 year Hotel Receptionist
4 years Retail - Working in various shops

Do not have any French (very basic spoken), top marks for English on all sections. No family in Canada, no partner/OH etc, have not lived/studied in Canada before - so no marks for adaptability.

Hope i have not missed anything out.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Emmjay
Do you have arranged employment? Otherwise I am sorry to say that I do not think you would meet the point score.

These are the points I would give you:

Education - 15 Points (see below)
Experience - 21 Points
Age - 10 Points
Language - 16 Points

Total = 62 Points

The problem I believe is your Education. I am giving you 15 points for "a One-Year post-secondary education credential, other than a university credential, and an equivalent of 13 years full-time study". To get to 67 you are presumably "adding-up" your 1-year diplomas to try and equal a 3-year diploma but the Regulations make it clear that credentials are not treated cumulatively - you just get points for one of them and whichever is the highest (except for 2 or more university degrees).

I realise this is obviously not what you want to hear and I think some further investigation of your credentials is needed to make sure your application isnt about to fail
Old Mar 14th 2009, 4:09 am
Yorkshire Lass

Thank you so much for your help and advice Paul

I have some time still, so i will look into alternatives and maybe get some more qualifications and see what happens.

Emmjay
Old Mar 14th 2009, 6:49 am
Immigration Consultant

Thank you so much for your help and advice Paul

I have some time still, so i will look into alternatives and maybe get some more qualifications and see what happens.

Emmjay
Note that getting another 1-year diploma wont help, you need to end up with a 2 or 3 year diploma ideally. It may be that one of your existing qualifications could be converted into a higher-level qualification or degree through further study? Alternatively you are going to need arranged employment (this will add 15 points to your score) or french language ability but you will need moderate proficiency (not basic) in at least some abilities to make up the point score to 67.

Personally I would concentrate on the arranged employment route.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:49 am
Nova Scotia

aid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really nice

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Note that getting another 1-year diploma wont help, you need to end up with a 2 or 3 year diploma ideally. It may be that one of your existing qualifications could be converted into a higher-level qualification or degree through further study? Alternatively you are going to need arranged employment (this will add 15 points to your score) or french language ability but you will need moderate proficiency (not basic) in at least some abilities to make up the point score to 67.

Personally I would concentrate on the arranged employment route.
just noticed Paul you got your membership well done mate
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:45 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Hi NSPaul

Thanks for your time and help. I have already spoken with various employers in my field (Capital Health/Colchester Health/South Shore Health etc) and they have told me that once i have my visa i would not have a problem finding work. However they are not prepared to apply for an LMO for me or my job. Therefore arranged employment is not really an option. :curse:

I am going to think some more and have a look at the other routes again, but ultimately I might have to pull my SW application out - not sure yet what I am going to do - so many thoughts, feelings and emotions?

Will keep you and everyone posted. Thank you for your advice and guidance and congratulations on passing your CSIC exams.

Emmjay
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

Hi NSPaul

Thanks for your time and help. I have already spoken with various employers in my field (Capital Health/Colchester Health/South Shore Health etc) and they have told me that once i have my visa i would not have a problem finding work. However they are not prepared to apply for an LMO for me or my job. Therefore arranged employment is not really an option. :curse:

I am going to think some more and have a look at the other routes again, but ultimately I might have to pull my SW application out - not sure yet what I am going to do - so many thoughts, feelings and emotions?

Will keep you and everyone posted. Thank you for your advice and guidance and congratulations on passing your CSIC exams.

Emmjay
Emmjay,

If you're prepared to put the work in studying, why not focus on improving your French? There are 8 points going for a second language, though the standard is high.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:11 am
Yorkshire Lass

Thanks Mark

French is an option i am looking into, although languages have never been my strong point Still it might be worth giving French another try, can't hurt.

Emmjay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.