Old Drink Driving Issue

Old Dec 5th 2018, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Aquaman92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old Drink Driving Issue

Hi All,

Many years ago as an idiot I ended up with a Drink Driving (DR10) conviction, 12 month ban reduced to 9 for completing the awareness course and around a £60 fine I was also a minor (17) this was December 2009 and the ban was completed / finished in September 2010. Recently my wife to be has mooted a potential move to Canada in the future after a recent trip to Hong Kong / Vietnam and speaking with many Canadians. She is a business owner and when training is finished imminently I will be a Commercial Pilot. My question is even though I was a minor and my DBS certificate doesn't show anything as my conviction is 'spent' (not sure about an ACRO Police Form)
we are thinking about taking a trip relatively soon to experience Canada and see if its a viable option in the future for relocation. I'm unsure if I am able to use the ETA or will I need a visa or some kind of deemed rehabilitated certificate / waiver. I've only just realised I may have an issue so my knowledge is vague at best, I've held USA Visas with no issues and visit often so any and all help is much appreciated.

Blake
Old Dec 5th 2018, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Drink Driving Issue

If you were convicted as a minor and sentenced as a minor then this would be equivalent to the Youth Criminal Justice Act rules.

From IRCC Manual ENF1

Inadmissibility may not be based on an offence designated as a contravention under the Contraventions Act or an offence under the Young Offenders Act (A36(3)(e)).
Note:
The Regulations are currently being amended to reflect the repeal of the Young Offenders Act and the coming into force of the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Basically any offences committed and convicted as a minor are wiped clean although they have to be declared. IMHO you won't be found inadmissible but might have to provide further details to IRCC when applying for the eTA and they may require a Police Certificate. I would apply for the eTA now and wait to see what happens.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir.../enf01-eng.pdf
Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the reply, even though the conviction is spent do I still need to select yes and enter the relevant information ?
Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquaman92
Thank you for the reply, even though the conviction is spent do I still need to select yes and enter the relevant information ?
I believe the question is Have you ever committed been arrested, charged or convicted of an offence? So what do you think the answer should be and No you can't call a friend.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Point taken, I shall apply for the eTA and go from there. I have just been looking on other websites before submitting said eTA, do I need to submit a rehabilitation form ?
Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Point taken, I shall apply for the eTA and go from there. I have just been looking on other websites before submitting said eTA, do I need to submit a rehabilitation form ?
No as long as sentenced as a young offender i.e under 18 when the offence occurred. Once submitted I suspect you will have to provide documentation about the offence and if needed to be uploaded I also suggest a covering letter explaining that you were 17 at the time. IRCC will then do their bit. Expect to wait several weeks/months but once approved the eTA is valid for 5 years. Dont be expecting to get one for travel in the next few weeks.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

The waiting game starts now, thank you for your help. Lastly when I renew my passport late next year will I also have to get a new eTA even though the passport number will remain the same ?
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The waiting game starts now, thank you for your help. Lastly when I renew my passport late next year will I also have to get a new eTA even though the passport number will remain the same ?
You will request to keep the old passport that has the eTA in it and carry both when travelling.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 11:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You don't actually get anything put in your passport, it's all electronic, but CIC say you must apply for a new ETA if you get a new passport -

"When you travel to Canada, you will need to bring the passport you used to apply for your eTA, as the eTA is electronically linked to it. Should you obtain a new passport, you will need to apply for a new eTA."

HTH.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks!

I applied and as anticipated I have been requested to submit a Police Certificate which I have just applied for and will upload as soon as it arrives...fingers crossed!
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

As an update to anyone who may need similar help. After receiving / uploading the ACRO form to the website. Me eTA was granted within a day or so.

Happy travels!