Old Conviction

Old Aug 28th 2005, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough
Default Old Conviction

Can any expert help please?

My husband was fined £20 about 25 years ago (no prison sentence) and we understand that this makes him inadmissible. It seems from reading through all the information that the Canadian Government would consider him rehabilitated after five years? Am I correct in thinking this, or do we need to process the rehabilitation forms anyway? Thanks in anticipation of your advice.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 3:46 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Conviction

Originally Posted by Bethan2
Can any expert help please?

My husband was fined £20 about 25 years ago (no prison sentence) and we understand that this makes him inadmissible. It seems from reading through all the information that the Canadian Government would consider him rehabilitated after five years? Am I correct in thinking this, or do we need to process the rehabilitation forms anyway? Thanks in anticipation of your advice.
Hi, He is considered rehabilitated after 5 yrs, As long as it was a minor offence he has no worries (20gbp fine sounds as if it was minor)
Make sure you admit it on any forms you fill out but you don't need to send in the rehabilitation form.
HTH
Old Aug 28th 2005, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply - I'm hoping that all will be OK. Yes it was very minor (and a one-off), but nonetheless it goes on the record. We will go ahead with the application and be totally honest about it, no point in otherwise. We've already requested our police reports so that we can get the exact date, etc. to put on the forms. Thanks again.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:13 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

My husband had one from about 30 years ago!!!

We were advised to obtain the court records for the case, (from the county courts office) and then write a covering letter as well, with an explanation of the offence, as it did sound rather dire, reading the police check!

When we sent a copy of the letter to our adviser to check he said it would probably make the visa officers laugh (which was quite reassuring!)

Anyway, it must have worked as we got our visas with no undue delay and we are off to land in Calgary next Saturday!!!!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Morwenna! that's very encouraging news.

It's so long ago, he can't even remember the date or even the year, except he was in his early twenties. We have to wait until the police reports come back to us and then we will have the dates so that we can apply to the courts for all the relevant paperwork.

I hope the officer does laugh! that would be a relief. It was minor and dealt with at the magistrates' courts, as you say, these things can sound pretty dire on paper. It's going to be very worrying until we know that he is considered 'rehabilitated'. When did you know that your hubby was considered 'rehabilitated', did you have to wait and wonder for the whole waiting period?

I don't know how long it will take to obtain the court records, but at this rate it will be months before we can even get our application in, never mind the long waiting times when we do.

Anyway, well done on your successful application, not long to go now til 3rd September. We are going to have to content ourselves with a holiday in Nova Scotia next year, but I might visit any possible prospective employers then. May I wish you every happiness in your new life in Canada.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

We received the police reports back and they say "There is no information held about you in the person Record category of the Police National Computer".

This is odd. Is there a difference between getting a fine and getting a convinction?

We want to be really up front about things, but without any dates or definite information it's difficult. We were thinking of just writing a covering letter stating that it happened approximately 25 years ago and does not appear on the police records so we can't go back to the courts to get further information about it.

I phoned the police and they just said it must have 'expired' and there's now no way to get any information about it - surely a conviction stays on the record for life?

Any advice for us?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:40 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bethan2
We received the police reports back and they say "There is no information held about you in the person Record category of the Police National Computer".

This is odd. Is there a difference between getting a fine and getting a convinction?

We want to be really up front about things, but without any dates or definite information it's difficult. We were thinking of just writing a covering letter stating that it happened approximately 25 years ago and does not appear on the police records so we can't go back to the courts to get further information about it.

I phoned the police and they just said it must have 'expired' and there's now no way to get any information about it - surely a conviction stays on the record for life?

Any advice for us?
Just disclose the fact in your application and send the PCC as it is; you should be fine....