OHIP, TWP, and a C Section!

Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice
Default Re: OHIP, TWP, and a C Section!

Originally Posted by atscmc
Hi,
I guess that's the date of expiry on your passport. I presume the passport has been renewed - I wonder if they would extend OHIP until the end of the month (which is the norm) given you have a new passport - just wondering.....it's a long shot. I am sure an Immigration Lawyer could sort this out for you.

Your wife can't exactly elect not to give birth cos you don't have OHIP.

Chris
Yes the end date of the TWP was based on the Passport expiry and the OHIP is only valid to the end of the TWP.

I only phoned once so i'm sure if I phoned 3 more times I could get different answers! But they were quite clear that the end date is the end not the end of that month.

I am going to now go and head downtown Ottawa and have a face to face with the OHIP people to get it clarified and walk away with something in writing regarding the 90 days of coverage where I can claim the cost back.

HR has just phoned be an the immigration Lawyer has just contradicted the information the CIC gave me on the phone yesterday. The are now willing to put together the POE paperwork and suggest I go shopping in US mid December and plead my case with the boarder guard. If it does not work I still need get to come back as the TWP is still valid and will then be on implied status when it runs out.
The hope is by mid December my renewal application will be in the system so they may see it on their computer systems. (this is what happened for me last time)
Advised to choose a quiet time, mid week , take a spare coffee! and if it all goes tits call the lawyer!

Never a dull moment with this immigration lark!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XCMTBer
Yes tried that today, Wife saw the obstetrician and asked to bring it forward by a couple days, she was booked in bang on 38 weeks and they will not being it forward unless there is a medical reason. In fact they wanted to push it out a few days
You need to give the OB more info

A few ideas....

1. Tell them that you are really worried about the increased risks of placental insufficiency as the pregnancy continues (use this as a last resort)

2. Ask what the different risks to the baby are with being delivered at 38 compared 37 weeks. (You are particularly interested in this, as several acquaintances in both the UK and the US military - California - were able to schedule 37 weeks C-sections for non-medical reasons prior to leaving for war.)

3. Explain that you are worried that the one-off unforeseen birth-related financial burden will affect both your family's ability to have a safe roof over your head, and possibly your wife's abilty to cope especially given how far "from home" you are, and ""obviously ANYTHING that we can do to reduce our unborn child's chances of being exposed to homelessness, etc etc"

Good luck.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

So a further update

Phoned the Hospital to fins out how they bill for the delivery - they take a credit card before admitting you! And the estimated $10k has creeped slightly.....

Delivery charge around $3000, plus
Anesthetic - unknown figure as it depends on number of dosage required, plus
Stay in ward is $1820 per day (7 days will cost $12,780), plus
Physician costs (unknown), plus
Additional visits to the hospital after stay in ward is $476 per visit, which excludes any tests required at the time

So, we are looking at well over $20,000

Was looking online for the address of the Service Canada office downtown and came across another website that stated that if you have applied for PR you can be covered for OHIP!! - Not that my HR or works lawyers has put this info forward!

So printed the only info I had on the PR front and trotted downtown. The service guy almost there and then sorted it but has to fax off the letter i had, which was only the "we got your application and here is your case number"

In to first thing Friday to get what ever letters the Lawyers have regarding my application as we have postponed the medicals i'm pretty sure they will have something.

So close but still not cigar
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Well they won't keep her 7 days , not now days, 48 hrs maybe or 72 hrs..you are in and out asap...my dil has had 2 c-sections in 18 months, last one in Sept, both in Ont, and never in longer then 72hrs...unless your wife has a complication you have not mentioned.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
Well they won't keep her 7 days , not now days, 48 hrs maybe or 72 hrs..you are in and out asap...my dil has had 2 c-sections in 18 months, last one in Sept, both in Ont, and never in longer then 72hrs...unless your wife has a complication you have not mentioned.
Yep, the C Section is on medical grounds - the last delivery eventually ended up in a C section followed by 8 days in hospital. Just budgeting for all possibilities.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Ok, so I been in contact with MPP and others who are trying to sort OHIP and possibly a letter from CIC regarding PR application to get OHIP, but not holding my breath!

Was meant to be going to US tomorrow to do some "shopping" and attempting to do a POE and extend my TWP - HR and the legal people now want to apply for a new TWP as opposed to an extension, anyone done this?

"we suggest that he present an application for a new work permit at the port of entry. To clarify, this is not an extension application but merely, a new application for a work permit (similar to what he submitted upon his initial entry to Canada)"
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Did you friend actually cross the boarder? and his permit had run out? in which case its ok to do a POE application is it not?

My issue is a 48hr period where TWP ends, OHIP runs out and Wife goes in for a $10k op, even if i could leave the country it a risk of not getting approved at the boarder.
No he was in canada on his old WP which hadn't run out- but he changed jobs
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so I been in contact with MPP and others who are trying to sort OHIP and possibly a letter from CIC regarding PR application to get OHIP, but not holding my breath!

Was meant to be going to US tomorrow to do some "shopping" and attempting to do a POE and extend my TWP - HR and the legal people now want to apply for a new TWP as opposed to an extension, anyone done this?

"we suggest that he present an application for a new work permit at the port of entry. To clarify, this is not an extension application but merely, a new application for a work permit (similar to what he submitted upon his initial entry to Canada)"

So to reanswer your question, he got a new permit, despite the fact he still had an existing permit. His lawyer told him that he wasn't allowed to do it, but when he explained they would lose their $20K house deposit, unless they could get their mortage , which was entirely dependant on his work permit, the lawyer told them to go to border and try their luck and not mention his laeyer had sent him. He got it easily at border- they couldn't have been nicer.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the additional reply, so it looks like i'm going to be going down with preggers wife in toe and going to have to hope for a nice one, (with the poe paperwork from lawyer in hand!)
Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:05 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Only just seen this thread - XCMTBer, I hope it all works out for you. We were nearly in the same position a few weeks ago. My TWP had run out due to expiry of passport (it was actually my son's passport that expired, long story there of clerical screw-ups, but that's not the issue now). OH due to give birth mid-December, TWP extension application submitted mid-July; due to ridiculous processing delays at Vegreville it was decidedly touch-and-go whether we'd have the new permit and be able to renew OHIP coverage in time - especially as OH had to be scheduled for a C/S at 38 weeks due to complications (all resolved now - see "a new oakvillian" thread )

I, at least, was able to top-up OHIP coverage through work, as we have a lot of ex-pat staff who need provincial health coverage replacement policy on first arrival in Canada. Group life & health cover through Standard Life does the trick, but I'm not sure it's available to individuals outside a group scheme.

Certainly, the costs for a self-funded C-section are scary. When we were planning for the worst case, we looked at a 5-day stay and costed out at aroung $15k. If there's any reason your OH might have to stay a week or more, that quickly becomes an even more frightening number. Even if you know you can claim it back, it's still a hell of a hit to cashflow!

As it happens, the permit came through in about the second week of November, so panic over to an extent, but it wasn't a fun-filled few weeks of financial worry. I really hope between your company, the lawyers, CIC and OHIP you manage to sort it out. OHIP have a poor reputation as a bunch of officious jobsworths (I wanted to say something else but it would probably be rendered into a string of asterisks) but there's always the chance you might find the one friendly, helpful case officer...

Ozzidoc's advice seems pretty sound, too, if you get nowhere with officialdom. I'm no medic, but I can't imagine there's a huge difference between a section at 38wks and one at 37+4.

A final thought has just occurred. The admissions clerk checked the validity of my OH's OHIP card on admission, but it wasn't checked again after that. I don't know if this is a universal thing, but might be worth exploring. Could you "manufacture" a medical reason to get your OH admitted a couple of days early, get her OHIPped into the system, then ride the coat-tails through the rest of the procedure? If your OB won't bring the section forward, perhaps he could be persuaded to prescribe hospital bedrest?

Good luck whatever happens!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Ok, So a Day in the Car and its done!

Left this morning and crossed the boarder at 1000 Islands on the pretense of going shopping, Got a really hard time from US guards for not handing in the Green Card! Twice maybe 3 times.

Did some shopping and headed back, Declared all goods as we went through and paid the Tax.

At the immigration desk the line of questioning was as suspected, has your TWP run out? No.
But once I had dome some subtle pleading explaining the situation he told us to take a seat, he went to a back office and went through the paperwork.
25 nerveracking min later I was asked to go to the cash desk and pay the 2 X $150 fees!

So if anyone gets into this mess seems a NEW TWP application as opposed to requesting and extension prior to it actually expiring is the way to go.

The ask for a new TWP only transpired when the legal assistant at the very large firm of Lawyers actually spoke to the Lawyer!

So ultimately weeks of sleepless nights and worry for little reason, when the first thing I asked them when the timings were short was to do a POE, but the message coming back was that it was too high risk!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Left this morning and crossed the boarder at 1000 Islands on the pretense of going shopping, Got a really hard time from US guards for not handing in the Green Card! Twice maybe 3 times.

Did some shopping and headed back, Declared all goods as we went through and paid the Tax.

At the immigration desk the line of questioning was as suspected, has your TWP run out? No.
But once I had dome some subtle pleading explaining the situation he told us to take a seat, he went to a back office and went through the paperwork.
25 nerveracking min later I was asked to go to the cash desk and pay the 2 X $150 fees!

So if anyone gets into this mess seems a NEW TWP application as opposed to requesting and extension prior to it actually expiring is the way to go.

The ask for a new TWP only transpired when the legal assistant at the very large firm of Lawyers actually spoke to the Lawyer!

So ultimately weeks of sleepless nights and worry for little reason, when the first thing I asked them when the timings were short was to do a POE, but the message coming back was that it was too high risk!

Very relieved for you! and the missus (don't want her worrying etc)!

Thought it would be OK if you went down there. Like I said my mate's lawyer told him there was no way it could be done at border, then when she realised what was at stake she said go down, you might get a friendly border guard. I think doing things face to face with canadians is pretty important, they are bascially nice people and once they meet you, its all sorted.

Well done!!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:29 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
TWP extension application submitted mid-July;

As it happens, the permit came through in about the second week of November
So the processing time for renewals is actually 4 months now not 3?? Crazy....

OHIP have a poor reputation as a bunch of officious jobsworths (I wanted to say something else but it would probably be rendered into a string of asterisks)
I'm with you on this, just the mention of them gets me riled.... If I ever see the first woman we encountered there on fire, I wouldn't waste my bodily by-products on her, in fact, I'd probably go and buy some gas to fuel it ....

Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:33 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
So the processing time for renewals is actually 4 months now not 3?? Crazy....
98 days, I think (although apparently that's reduced a bit since the summer). Agreed, it's crazy that it takes that long to process a renewal. It's not even as if the paperwork's complicated - a single 2-page form and a letter from the employer about covered it.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:23 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

98 days, I think (although apparently that's reduced a bit since the summer). Agreed, it's crazy that it takes that long to process a renewal. It's not even as if the paperwork's complicated - a single 2-page form and a letter from the employer about covered it.
Except the the Sydney processing Centre handles over 350K PR card applications per year as well as the Citizenship cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.