British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   official refund policy from www.cic.gc.ca (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/official-refund-policy-www-cic-gc-ca-371158/)

britishvixen21 May 3rd 2006 2:03 am

official refund policy from www.cic.gc.ca

Well here it is guys $485 comming my way wahooooo they say they will issue any time between now and a year LOL

How to get a refund

On May 2, 2006, the Government of Canada announced a reduction of 50 percent for the $975 Right of Permanent Residence Fee. Immigrants who paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee, but who are not permanent residents of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, are entitled to a refund.

This fact sheet provides information on the new fee and instructions on how to obtain a refund.

THE NEW RIGHT OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE FEE

Effective 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, the Right of Permanent Residence Fee will be reduced to $490. Applicants who paid the $975 fee but who have not become permanent residents of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, are eligible for a refund.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR A REFUND?

You are eligible for a refund if:

* You paid the $975 Right of Permanent Residence Fee; and

* You have not become a permanent resident of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006.

AMOUNT OF THE REFUND

The amount of the refund is $ 485 (Canadian dollars). The refund applies to every person who paid the fee. Due to fluctuations in exchange rates, there may be differences in refund amounts for refunds issued in local currencies outside of Canada.

HOW TO OBTAIN A REFUND

If you (or your sponsor) paid the fee in Canada

If you or your sponsor paid the $975 fee in Canada, and you did not become a permanent resident before 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, CIC will issue a refund to you. You do not have to request it. You will receive it by mail.

If you applied under the family class, the permit holder class or the live-in caregiver class, or if you applied for permanent residence in Canada on humanitarian or compassionate grounds, you or your sponsor are eligible for a refund if you have not become a permanent resident of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006.

If you have moved since you paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee, you can use our On-line services to notify us of your new address. If you do not have a permanent address, or if you have trouble using our on-line service, please contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

If you paid the fee in another country

If you paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee in another country before 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, and you have not yet received a visa, you can request a refund from the CIC mission where you paid the fee. If you do not request a refund, you will receive one when your visa is issued.

If you paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee in another country, and you have received your visa but you have not yet become a permanent resident of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, you can request a refund after you become a permanent resident of Canada.

If you have not received a refund before you become a permanent resident, you will be given information on how to request one when you arrive in Canada.

vietcan May 3rd 2006 3:00 am

Re: official refund policy from www.cic.gc.ca

Great, thanks for the info. It will be nice to have an extra $485 in our pockets. :-)

iansch May 3rd 2006 8:14 am

Grate info we land tomorrow :D :D :D :D :beer:

helcol May 3rd 2006 9:43 am

Cool - that's 2 x $475 for us then! Already have our visas but not landing till August! :):D:beer:

helcol May 3rd 2006 9:44 am

Oh yeah, and thanks for posting britishvixen21!

snowqueen May 3rd 2006 10:15 am

B****er it , we landed on April 13th!

Snowqueen

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Well here it is guys $485 comming my way wahooooo they say they will issue any time between now and a year LOL

How to get a refund

On May 2, 2006, the Government of Canada announced a reduction of 50 percent for the $975 Right of Permanent Residence Fee. Immigrants who paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee, but who are not permanent residents of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, are entitled to a refund.

This fact sheet provides information on the new fee and instructions on how to obtain a refund.

Effective 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, the Right of Permanent Residence Fee will be reduced to $490. Applicants who paid the $975 fee but who have not become permanent residents of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, are eligible for a refund.

* You have not become a permanent resident of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006.

AMOUNT OF THE REFUND

The amount of the refund is $ 485 (Canadian dollars). The refund applies to every person who paid the fee. Due to fluctuations in exchange rates, there may be differences in refund amounts for refunds issued in local currencies outside of Canada.

HOW TO OBTAIN A REFUND

If you or your sponsor paid the $975 fee in Canada, and you did not become a permanent resident before 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, CIC will issue a refund to you. You do not have to request it. You will receive it by mail.

If you applied under the family class, the permit holder class or the live-in caregiver class, or if you applied for permanent residence in Canada on humanitarian or compassionate grounds, you or your sponsor are eligible for a refund if you have not become a permanent resident of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006.

If you have moved since you paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee, you can use our On-line services to notify us of your new address. If you do not have a permanent address, or if you have trouble using our on-line service, please contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

If you paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee in another country before 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, and you have not yet received a visa, you can request a refund from the CIC mission where you paid the fee. If you do not request a refund, you will receive one when your visa is issued.

If you paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee in another country, and you have received your visa but you have not yet become a permanent resident of Canada as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, you can request a refund after you become a permanent resident of Canada.

If you have not received a refund before you become a permanent resident, you will be given information on how to request one when you arrive in Canada.

Mystic Kazza May 3rd 2006 10:30 am

Hi britishvixen21,

thanks for that it is good to know.

Best wishes,

Karen :)

scollis May 3rd 2006 11:19 am

Wow, thanks for the info Vixen that is nearly a $1k for us... very welcome.
Take care
Sonia

How to get a refund

AMOUNT OF THE REFUND

HOW TO OBTAIN A REFUND

Mans May 3rd 2006 1:04 pm

[SIZE=1]

Originally Posted by snowqueen
B****er it , we landed on April 13th!

Snowqueen

Same day as me :(

us3andthedog May 3rd 2006 3:36 pm

Great that everyone will be getting some sort of refund, :)
But wished they had used the extra money to employ more staff to reduce the waiting time and clear some backlogs,
Just fed up if waiting :rolleyes:

britishvixen21 May 3rd 2006 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by us3andthedog
Great that everyone will be getting some sort of refund, :)
But wished they had used the extra money to employ more staff to reduce the waiting time and clear some backlogs,
Just fed up if waiting :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing, and im contemplating sending mine back when i get it to Steven Harper adn tellling him to improve services instead!!

PMM May 3rd 2006 4:21 pm

Hi

I was thinking the same thing, and im contemplating sending mine back when i get it to Steven Harper adn tellling him to improve services instead!!

They don't need more staff. Canada accepts about 235K Immigrants per year, CIC meets that number easily with the staff that they have.

britishvixen21 May 3rd 2006 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

They don't need more staff. Canada accepts about 235K Immigrants per year, CIC meets that number easily with the staff that they have.

I didnt mention staff, I said 'Services' i.e. the call centre the staff are useless or ecas more useless!

woofwoof May 3rd 2006 6:12 pm

Can I have it if you don't want it, I'll put it to some good cause ....honest. Like supporting my local village pub by buying his beer. :D

britishvixen21 May 3rd 2006 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by woofwoof
Can I have it if you don't want it, I'll put it to some good cause ....honest. Like supporting my local village pub by buying his beer. :D

It kind of defeats the object of the political stand LOL but nice try hehehe