Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Offered job in Canada - now need to arrange visa

Offered job in Canada - now need to arrange visa

Old Jan 30th 2015, 10:52 am
Just Joined

MrSmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offered job in Canada - now need to arrange visa

Hi,

I'm a British citizen and I've been offered a job in Canada at a company.

They have now asked me to organise my visa and to ask for their help when necessary.

I also have a wife and three children who need visas.

What should I do? I've been through the Canadian immigration website and others but its quite confusing.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offered job in Canada - now need to arrange visa

What type of job have you been offered and whats the job title?
Being offered a job is one thing actually getting a work permit is another.
More details needed i.e. type of job, location, is a LMIA required, how long is the contract etc etc.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 10:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that they've asked you to organise your own visa is rather worrying, as you can't usually get a visa without the company doing some paperwork first! I take it they've not hired a foreign worker before? Sounds like you're going to need to educate them.

As FL said, it'll depend on the job and the province as to your visa options, but usually the company has to apply for a LMIA (for which they have to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do it - there is a $1000 fee for the company for this). Only once you've got a positive LMIA can you then apply for a work permit.

That's the 'normal' route, but there are potentially other options depending on the info mentioned above. If you're struggling with the CIC website, then this is the relevant section - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/worker.asp

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 30th 2015 at 11:12 am.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 3:18 am
Just Joined

MrSmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Both, thank you for your replies.

The job is Ontario.

Former Lancastrian, the job is at an accountancy firm in the audit department. The job title is Audit Senior. What are your thoughts?

Christmasoompa, it's a small firm so it's likely they havn't hired a foreign worker before. So the website says:
"Employers can hire foreign workers through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program or the International Mobility Program. "
The International Mobility Program does not require a LMIA but I'm not sure I qualify for that. About the Temporary Foreign Worker Program it says that it is designed to fill temporary labour shortages. How temporary is it?

There's also the Federal Skilled Worker Program which chartered acountants rank as skill level "A" promisingly. I will look into this a little more too.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 2:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrSmith
Hi Both, thank you for your replies.

The job is Ontario.

Former Lancastrian, the job is at an accountancy firm in the audit department. The job title is Audit Senior. What are your thoughts?

Christmasoompa, it's a small firm so it's likely they havn't hired a foreign worker before. So the website says:
"Employers can hire foreign workers through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program or the International Mobility Program. "
The International Mobility Program does not require a LMIA but I'm not sure I qualify for that. About the Temporary Foreign Worker Program it says that it is designed to fill temporary labour shortages. How temporary is it?

There's also the Federal Skilled Worker Program which chartered acountants rank as skill level "A" promisingly. I will look into this a little more too.
Read the Wiki and look at the CIC website and then get back to the company and explain that it's totally impossible for you to "arrange" your own visa.

If they won't do their side of the thing it ain't gonna happen. And if you're over 30 years old forget the IMP (usually referred to as IEC).

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 1st 2015 at 2:18 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 2:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrSmith
Yes, the Temp Foreign Workers Program is the one mentioned above i.e. the employer applies for the LMIA and when (if) that's granted, you then go over on a Temp Work Permit.

The International Mobility Program is basically a way of getting a Temp Work Permit without needed a LMIA. Certain people/occupations fall under this program, including the IEC mentioned above (which is a Working Holiday Visa program for those aged 30 or under), NAFTA (only applicable to those from the US or Mexico), intra-company transfers etc. You can see the relevant LMIA exempt categories here - See if you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment

For most, a LMIA is required. As for how temporary it is, a 2 year work permit is about the norm, and if you wanted to stay longer you'd have to either get another work permit or apply for PR if eligible.

As for the FSW program, that's great if you can find an employer that's willing to support it, but again you do need them to help with the paperwork and do the LMIA - you're very unlikely to get enough points without the LMIA, or to get selected from the pool. The first selection has just taken place, and nobody without a LMIA was chosen.

HTH a bit, I'd suggest you get your potential employer to consult an immigration lawyer or have a good look at what they need to do to apply for the LMIA on your behalf, or the PNP which is another option (and also leads to PR - the downside being the fees are higher and it's more onerous on the employer).

Best of luck.