Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Offered IEC whilst mid-way through EE application

Offered IEC whilst mid-way through EE application

Old Jul 28th 2017, 5:19 am
Just Joined

jm_5671 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offered IEC whilst mid-way through EE application

Hi All, on Wednesday completely out of the blue I received an invitation to apply for the 2 year IEC working visa, I had applied earlier this year and had long since given up hope of this coming through. This is good news but I'm conscious how this will affect my ongoing EE application, I'm mid-way through (passed IELTS, sent ECA docs off ) and I was reasonably confident I would gain entry through that. However this IEC invitation has confused me a bit.

I would prefer the permanent option that the EE gives me but with the IEC getting to Canada seems almost guaranteed.

I don't plan on going into Canada until the new year but I've just noticed that I only have 41 days left to submit my express entry profile. Should I just apply for both and wait to see which comes through? Or alternatively apply for the IEC and re-apply for EE in a year or so when I will (hopefully) be in Canada?

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Old Jul 28th 2017, 5:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offered IEC whilst mid-way through EE application

Yes, others have been in the same situation - see this thread from yesterday. http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...cation-900707/

You say you're 'mid way through' the PR app but then say you've only just sent off for your ECA, so which is correct?

If you've not even applied to enter the EE pool yet, then I'd definitely go for the IEC and you can hope you get an ITA once that's secured. What is your score on the CRS?

If you are indeed mid way through (i.e. you've actually applied for PR rather than just applying to enter the pool), then that's a bit different.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 6:27 am
Just Joined

jm_5671 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

I meant mid-way through the EE application, but before I have submitted it and gone into the pool. I reckon my score would be around ~430 once all is completed.

I think I will almost certainly apply for the IEC, however I'm concerned that it would be difficult to stay longer than the initial two year VISA would allow. I'm scared accepting the IEC is the easy, short term result whereas I could feasibly wait out and continue with my EE profile and arrive in Canada later, but with PR already.

Would I be able to continue my EE profile from within Canada in the future or find another way to get PR?
Old Jul 28th 2017, 6:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you're scoring approx 430, then why do you think you wouldn't be able to stay past the 2 years of the IEC? You should have PR well before that point unless something goes horribly wrong!

Definitely apply for both then IMO, hopefully you'll have PR by next spring, but the IEC will get you out there sooner.

Good luck.