Offcampus Work Permit to LMO - ON

Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:15 am
Just Joined

saskbong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offcampus Work Permit to LMO - ON

Well I am in a situation that really has little sign of a sliver tint, but I am still taking my chances to see if I can talk my employer into applying for a LMO. I was offered the job 2 times (March and in May), and on both occassions the woman backed off at the final stages since she either wasn't sure of how the whole LMO/TWP thingie works or wasn't convinced that I'd be getting a positive LMO (though my take on it is that she just doesn't want to do the extra legwork). Here is the whole story:

The company (a private environmental consultancy in Ottawa) applied for a permanent position in March and had several qualified Canadian applicants and me in the pool. I was selected, but then even when at the final stage she didn't ask me anything about work authorisation, I informed that I'd need a LMO and TWP. That set her back and she promptly selected the second in line who is a Canadian. Now in mid-May she emailed me saying that she'd need another person in her company to do the job, BUT this job profile is slightly more rigorous than the one in March (to me sounded the same). She didn't advertise this second position as she felt she could select from the same pool given that the profiles were 95% the same. Now in mid-May I had my offcampus work permit (I am a grad student in Saskatchewan), so I was in a position to join rightaway, but would still need a TWP to work beyond August. This time she seemed more interested, I myself brought up the TWP issue the first time we spoke over phone, and she said she'd be "happy to" work with me for LMO. She then apparently hired a lawyer and spoke to my referees and posted me on each referee report and how pleased she was with my references. And then...yesterday she told me the same thing as March - complete turnaround and rejection.
I am trying to run by a hypothetical sitation by you all to see if I can use some logic to get her to a) let me start working rightaway on my offcampus permit rightaway, and b) submit a LMO.

My main question:
If I get her to hold off the LMO application for say a month to mid-July, could a better argument be made on the fact that I have already have had a one month of work experience in that position which no qualified Canadian applicant has?
<Pls refer to the second q before answering this one>

Second question:
Please note that I'd be recruited in the same permanent position for which the actual job is advertised, with the employer knowing that I could be hired without the need for TWP only for 4 months. She felt that for the period for which she didn't have to worry about work permits, I was clearly the favored person. So will a second aspect go against my chances of a positive LMO that - why did the employer hire a foreigner with a permit that allows fulltime work only for 4 months for a permanent position? Like will my working as a temporary worker as a foreigner seem like a backhanded process to get some exclusive work exp for a positive LMO later on? Or will it be seen as an advantage?

And a general question:
Even if I have been offered a permanent position, do I state on the LMO application that it is such, or that it is a temporary one (to be consistent with the ' *temporary* foreign worker permit ' )?

Thanks to all who might have something to share on this!!