Occupations under pressure?

Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Chick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to all
Default Occupations under pressure?

Hi,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. My husband and I have recently decided that we want to make the move to Canada. In view of the lengthy processing times we're going to get our application submitted within the next couple of weeks.

I've just read the information about occupations under pressure and found that my occupation (Marketing Manager) is one of those on the list for Alberta. Will this help to speed up our application for PR, or is this just for TWP's?

I'd prefer to get out to Canada and then find a job, rather than accepting a job and then having the pressure of getting out there quickly.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:59 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Occupations under pressure?

Hello, Chick-a-dee, and welcome to the BE forum.

Originally Posted by Chick-a-dee
In view of the lengthy processing times we're going to get our application submitted within the next couple of weeks.
That would be a total waste of time, in my opinion. It would do no good whatsoever, and might even be slightly worse than doing nothing.

I've just read the information about occupations under pressure and found that my occupation (Marketing Manager) is one of those on the list for Alberta. Will this help to speed up our application for PR, or is this just for TWP's?
It's relevant only to TWPs.

I'd prefer to get out to Canada and then find a job, rather than accepting a job and then having the pressure of getting out there quickly.
Nice in theory. I sympathize, and totally understand why you'd want to do that. But not good in practice, at least not in my opinion.

Suggest you read these Wiki articles:
In my opinion, you'd be better off job hunting from afar (relying heavily on the phone to network and pick people's brains) and then coming to Alberta on a recce / job hunting trip.

I think you'd be bonkers to move here as a visitor and rely on picking up a job and then applying for authorization to work in Canada. It would make sense to take this approach only if you had very deep pockets and could support yourself without any income for a long time (think in terms of months and months).

In my opinion it would be a lot wiser to test the waters first and find out how much demand there is for your services in Alberta.

Once you have a job offer, there are a couple of routes you could take. You could apply through the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP), Alberta's version of a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), or you could apply for a TWP and then upgrade to PR status. Your PR application would be expedited if you were here on a TWP and had a permanent job offer.

I suggest you read the articles in the Provincial Nominee Program section of the BE Wiki and the article called Fast Track PR Application.

Just in case it isn't obvious from the articles to which I've given you links, you would not be able to start work right away, even if you got a job offer. If you wanted to apply for a TWP, it would take the employer 2 - 3 months to get a labour market opinion (LMO). If you wanted to apply via the AINP, I've heard the first (provincial) step of that process typically takes a few months. That is the piece that has to be in place before you can start working.

Hope this information helps.
x
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hello, Chick-a-dee, and welcome to the BE forum.

That would be a total waste of time, in my opinion. It would do no good whatsoever, and might even be slightly worse than doing nothing.

It's relevant only to TWPs.

Nice in theory. I sympathize, and totally understand why you'd want to do that. But not good in practice, at least not in my opinion.

Suggest you read these Wiki articles:
In my opinion, you'd be better off job hunting from afar (relying heavily on the phone to network and pick people's brains) and then coming to Alberta on a recce / job hunting trip.

I think you'd be bonkers to move here as a visitor and rely on picking up a job and then applying for authorization to work in Canada. It would make sense to take this approach only if you had very deep pockets and could support yourself without any income for a long time (think in terms of months and months).

In my opinion it would be a lot wiser to test the waters first and find out how much demand there is for your services in Alberta.

Once you have a job offer, there are a couple of routes you could take. You could apply through the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP), Alberta's version of a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), or you could apply for a TWP and then upgrade to PR status. Your PR application would be expedited if you were here on a TWP and had a permanent job offer.

I suggest you read the articles in the Provincial Nominee Program section of the BE Wiki and the article called Fast Track PR Application.

Just in case it isn't obvious from the articles to which I've given you links, you would not be able to start work right away, even if you got a job offer. If you wanted to apply for a TWP, it would take the employer 2 - 3 months to get a labour market opinion (LMO). If you wanted to apply via the AINP, I've heard the first (provincial) step of that process typically takes a few months. That is the piece that has to be in place before you can start working.

Hope this information helps.
x
Maybe you can put your application through now (skills worker which i hear n read ther ei sa hold on it till when??? dont really know..) like Judy said it will be a waste of time.

Why dont u read the wiki here n maybe try a recce trip to alberta and try n speak to empoyers and see if u can get a positive LMO and apply for a TWP when u come back.

Judy as given u all what u need so go for it and good luck
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Chick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to all

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I think you misunderstood what I was saying though. I'm planning on submitting a SW application for PR in the next few weeks. I have no intention of going out to Canada as a visitor and then trying to get PR.

I just wanted to see if the fact that my occupation is under pressure would mean a shorter processing time for a SW application, which it seems is not the case.

I'll check out the links that you have suggested - thanks again.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I think you misunderstood what I was saying though. I'm planning on submitting a SW application for PR in the next few weeks. I have no intention of going out to Canada as a visitor and then trying to get PR.

I just wanted to see if the fact that my occupation is under pressure would mean a shorter processing time for a SW application, which it seems is not the case.

Sorry for mis understanding you..

I doubt if your application for SW with occupation under pressure will speed it up, I think no it wont..

SW for PR i hear is taking 4- 5 yrs...

Just apply for a JOB now and try a TWP to go along with PR later..

good luck and sorry once again..
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Hi there and welcome to the forum

I would like to direct you to something else which will be good reading and that is the sticky thread at the top of this forum "ammendments to IRPA"..
Although Judy summarises some of it very concisely here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558598 and gives a very good explanation of the "yet to be published, jobs in demand" changes..
The intention being that if your occupation appears on this yet to be published list then you would stand a better chance of getting into Canada sooner under the Skilled worker route...if your occupation is not on that list then your chances are very small...I don't confess to know how it will all pan out with quotas etc and also if you throw in all the politics of it all - Conservatives vs Liberals then you are going to need a stiff drink to get through it all..
I would defintely recommend reading that stuff along with what has been recommended in the Wiki..
I hope that helps somewhat but the truth of it is that it is all very much up in the air at the moment as you will see after reading those threads..
I wish you good luck
Cheers
Tim

Last edited by Tim Steer; Sep 14th 2008 at 1:51 am. Reason: typo
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim Steer
Hi there and welcome to the forum

I would like to direct you to something else which will be good reading and that is the sticky thread at the top of this forum "ammendments to IRPA"..
Although Judy summarises some of it very concisely here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558598 and gives a very good explanation of the "yet to be published, jobs in demand" changes..
The intention being that if your occupation appears on this yet to be published list then you would stand a better chance of getting into Canada sooner under the Skilled worker route...if your occupation is not on that list then your chances are very small...I don't confess to know how it will all pan out with quotas etc and also if you throw in all the politics of it all - Conservatives vs Liberals then you are going to need a stiff drink to get through it all..
I would defintely recommend reading that stuff along with what has been recommended in the Wiki..
I hope that helps somewhat but the truth of it is that it is all very much up in the air at the moment as you will see after reading those threads..
I wish you good luck
Cheers
Tim
Is there going to be a new Work or JOBS UNDER PRESSURE LIST to be release later this yr??? anyone with any idea of it as to when? wow Tim Steer thanks for the info...
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

bflava - hi
If you haven't already seen it yourself then I would also point you in the direction of the ammendments to IRPA thread...Earlier this year Bill C-50 was passed which amongst other things gave the immigration minister the power to determine (through consultation with provinces etc) where the job shortages are, and then applicants with those occupations would be prioritised whereas if your job wasn't on the list then your application would most likely be returned and not processed.This change went through government and was then made law but now with the political uncertainty it is unclear exactly what will happen...The Liberals did not support the changes but neither did they vote against it, however with the pending election, the Liberals have said that they will repeal the changes..So you see there is a lot of potential change but unfortunately it is linked in with politics aswell..
There have been a lot of posts and discussions about this but at the end of the day I guess we can only be sure once the ministerial instructions are announced...
Get a coffee, or a beer or whatever takes your fancy and have a read of that "Ammendments to IRPA" thread...its very informative although very long but should give you a good understanding of what I have tried to summarise...
I am no expert but just trying to help and point you in the right direction..
Cheers
Tim
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Hmmm. Starting to get a better understanding of this now, having read some of the links that have been suggested. I was mistakenly under the impression that because I had enough points, it was just a case of submitting an application and then waiting 4-5 years for the visa to be issued!

I initially looked in to migrating to Canada in 2000, when it was the norm to apply for PR without needing a job, so had no idea how much things had changed.

Anyway, having taken on board all of your helpful comments and suggestions (with still much to learn!) I'm now a little uncertain of how to progress . We're not planning on making the move to Canada for another couple of years yet, but I'm worried that if I leave it until then I may no longer qualify for migration. Is there anything that I should be doing now that will help ensure that I am still eligible? My reason for wanting to submit a SW application now was to ensure that I had an application in the queue and was definitely eligible.

I am now starting to realise that I will have to get a job first, but I don't want to start my job search until we are a bit closer to being ready to go.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,
Your understanding was correct but as you have found there are a lot of changes...mainly as a result of the increasing number of applications in backlog..925,000 - 1,000,000....
As many of the experts will tell you the only way to ensure you get into Canada is to find yourself a job...the points system is pretty much redundant now and the lowering of the required points is to blame for the current backlog...
I have no idea of the probability of it happening but if the Liberals gain power and repeal the recent changes then the points system would potentially still be in effect but without changes somewhere the waiting time will be approaching the 10 year mark...
It is all very much up in the air at the moment but the best way in is to secure a job for yourself or your OH...
Not trying to put you off or anything, this is just the state that it has got into..
Cheers
Tim
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh..I forgot to say that on the plus side you have found this forum and there are many helpful souls and experts on here that will help point ou in the right direction...We applied nearly 2 years ago now and I only found this forum 4 or 5 months ago and the information is invaluable...spend a lot of time reading, especially in the Wiki, and that will give you a really good understanding of what is going on...
Cheers
Tim
Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

I must say that I agree with Judy as I have just spent a costly six months in Canada job hunting and networking. If t wasn't for the good grace of some very good friends who are now like an extended family and who let me stay for free (I almost had to argue to give them money for food) I'd never have been able to afford doing what I did.

Having said that - I do not regret it one iota. I lived in Toronto 25 years ago and between then and now it has changed tremendously. Some for the better some for the worse. I have learned loads in the past six months and I have done some seriously good networking and now have a strong support in place for when I finally make it over there permanently.

I would say that it would be a good idea to go out after you have done some networking from afar and network relentlessly. Before you go, have your resume registered with head hunters and recruiters, talk to companies and once you are out there meet them face to face and do even more networking. Take a month and go out there. Rent a room in a house. (craigslist rocks!) You may not be able to get a job on your first trip but eventually you will.

I am actually now getting more responses to my applications than I did before as I now have a better idea on how to market myself on the Canadian job market. Loads of thanks to a head hunter out there who has become a very good friend.

Good luck to you!
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I must say that I agree with Judy as I have just spent a costly six months in Canada job hunting and networking. If t wasn't for the good grace of some very good friends who are now like an extended family and who let me stay for free (I almost had to argue to give them money for food) I'd never have been able to afford doing what I did.

Having said that - I do not regret it one iota. I lived in Toronto 25 years ago and between then and now it has changed tremendously. Some for the better some for the worse. I have learned loads in the past six months and I have done some seriously good networking and now have a strong support in place for when I finally make it over there permanently.

I would say that it would be a good idea to go out after you have done some networking from afar and network relentlessly. Before you go, have your resume registered with head hunters and recruiters, talk to companies and once you are out there meet them face to face and do even more networking. Take a month and go out there. Rent a room in a house. (craigslist rocks!) You may not be able to get a job on your first trip but eventually you will.

I am actually now getting more responses to my applications than I did before as I now have a better idea on how to market myself on the Canadian job market. Loads of thanks to a head hunter out there who has become a very good friend.

Good luck to you!
Thanks tim steer, I am spending this week on this and knowing myself i will understand it better, thanks for everythig, well i understand alot has changed this yr but you know Canada and how its immigration is just very complicated and very ver un-understandable, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm well thanks thanks thanks,, u a star...

thanks and thanks everyone here a mreading on it 2morrow...
Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bflava
Thanks tim steer, I am spending this week on this and knowing myself i will understand it better, thanks for everythig, well i understand alot has changed this yr but you know Canada and how its immigration is just very complicated and very ver un-understandable, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm well thanks thanks thanks,, u a star...

thanks and thanks everyone here a mreading on it 2morrow...
I'm not Tim Steer but thanks anyway for the thanks.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I'm not Tim Steer but thanks anyway for the thanks.
Sorry YYZLover, am sorry and by the way thanks again... i reading and reading haaaa