Obtaining a visa

Old Apr 21st 2022, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

CFoster26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obtaining a visa

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That’s great, congrats! Just be aware that the job offer alone won’t be enough, you will need a LMIA as well, so make sure the employer is happy to go through that process for you. Then you’ll get the extra points for the job offer. Assume it’s a Funeral Director job?

Edit: you’ll also need your ECA to enter the EE pool so don’t forget that too.
whats LMIA? So many abbreviations! Also ECA!
Old Apr 21st 2022, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CFoster26
whats LMIA? So many abbreviations! Also ECA!
LMIA - Labour Market Impact Assessment. It's something the employer has to apply for to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian wiling, or able, to do the job. Essentially that you're more qualified than any Canadian applicants, which hopefully with such a niche job as a Funeral Director won't be an issue! Takes approx 3-4 months, and costs the employer $1000.

ECA - Educational Credential Assessment. Mandatory for your EE application, you won't be able to enter the pool until you've got it - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-assessed.html Various providers but check their processing times carefully as they can vary hugely, and note that vocational or professional qualifications can't be assessed for points purposes, only academic ones.

This Wiki article may help! https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadian_Abbreviations
Old Apr 21st 2022, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

LMIA - Labour Market Impact Assessment. It's something the employer has to apply for to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian wiling, or able, to do the job. Essentially that you're more qualified than any Canadian applicants, which hopefully with such a niche job as a Funeral Director won't be an issue! Takes approx 3-4 months, and costs the employer $1000.

ECA - Educational Credential Assessment. Mandatory for your EE application, you won't be able to enter the pool until you've got it - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-assessed.html Various providers but check their processing times carefully as they can vary hugely, and note that vocational or professional qualifications can't be assessed for points purposes, only academic ones.

This Wiki article may help! https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadian_Abbreviations
oh I see. Well I have both diplomas and a foundation certificate so that should be fine. And he said the job has been open for over a year and no takers!
Old Apr 21st 2022, 7:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

oh I see. Well I have both diplomas and a foundation certificate so that should be fine. And he said the job has been open for over a year and no takers!
Sounds good. Make sure he's aware of the advertising requirements, the job has to be advertised in certain places so if he's not done that already, he'll need to advertise it there as well before being able to apply for the LMIA. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...ents.html#h2.6

Good luck!
Old Apr 21st 2022, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds good. Make sure he's aware of the advertising requirements, the job has to be advertised in certain places so if he's not done that already, he'll need to advertise it there as well before being able to apply for the LMIA. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...ents.html#h2.6

Good luck!
It doesn’t show that on this list for express entry.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...documents.html

Old Apr 21st 2022, 8:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It doesn’t show that on this list for express entry.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...documents.html
Doesn't show what?
Old Apr 21st 2022, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Doesn't show what?
The LMIA thing. I’ve sent it to the person who made the offer and they are looking into it
Old Apr 21st 2022, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The LMIA thing. I’ve sent it to the person who made the offer and they are looking into it
It does, the bit that says 'written job offer from an employer in Canada' is a hyperlink, click on that and it takes you to this page which gives further info on what counts as a valid job offer for EE - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...mployment.html

This page also has details - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=695&top=29

HTH.
Old Apr 21st 2022, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

It does, the bit that says 'written job offer from an employer in Canada' is a hyperlink, click on that and it takes you to this page which gives further info on what counts as a valid job offer for EE - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...mployment.html

This page also has details - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=695&top=29

HTH.
So do I have to apply for a separate work permit too.
Old Apr 21st 2022, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So do I have to apply for a separate work permit too.
Not necessarily, but it'll take a year or so to get PR (possibly even longer as at the moment the Federal Skilled Worker program has been paused since Dec 2020 so who knows when it will start again). So unless your employer is happy to wait, then a work permit would be a good idea and get you over there within 6 months or so.

You'll need the LMIA first though, to get the work permit, so get your employer started with that and then the rest can follow.

HTH.
Old Apr 21st 2022, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Not necessarily, but it'll take a year or so to get PR (possibly even longer as at the moment the Federal Skilled Worker program has been paused since Dec 2020 so who knows when it will start again). So unless your employer is happy to wait, then a work permit would be a good idea and get you over there within 6 months or so.

You'll need the LMIA first though, to get the work permit, so get your employer started with that and then the rest can follow.

HTH.
Only thing that worries me with that is being there for a year and then get sent back. How likely is it to be rejected after 12 months of working ? I would be moving my whole family with me!
Old Apr 21st 2022, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Only thing that worries me with that is being there for a year and then get sent back. How likely is it to be rejected after 12 months of working ? I would be moving my whole family with me!
Totally understandable that you'd be worried about that, it's a big upheaval and blooming expensive moving countries. Might be worth asking the potential employer if they offer any kind of relocation package to soften the financial blow a bit? And if you haven't visited that bit of Canada before, that's essential IMO, it can be an expensive mistake to make if you don't like it. Where is the job?

Your work permit will usually be valid for 2 or 3 years, and you can check the PR criteria to make sure you'd be eligible, if you are then there's no reason you'd be rejected and you'd have plenty of time to get PR. Plus once you have got to the first stage of PR approval, you'll also be eligible for a Bridging Open Work Permit, so you could stay working until you get PR as well.
Old Apr 21st 2022, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Totally understandable that you'd be worried about that, it's a big upheaval and blooming expensive moving countries. Might be worth asking the potential employer if they offer any kind of relocation package to soften the financial blow a bit? And if you haven't visited that bit of Canada before, that's essential IMO, it can be an expensive mistake to make if you don't like it. Where is the job?

Your work permit will usually be valid for 2 or 3 years, and you can check the PR criteria to make sure you'd be eligible, if you are then there's no reason you'd be rejected and you'd have plenty of time to get PR. Plus once you have got to the first stage of PR approval, you'll also be eligible for a Bridging Open Work Permit, so you could stay working until you get PR as well.
Could we apply through the express entry thing and then go over on a work visa once all that’s done. We would definitely know by then if we would be accepted wouldn’t we? Is it pot luck or? Like the scores I worked out we would get somewhere around 900-1000. Is that good? Would be definitely get in with that or?
Old Apr 21st 2022, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Could we apply through the express entry thing and then go over on a work visa once all that’s done. We would definitely know by then if we would be accepted wouldn’t we? Is it pot luck or? Like the scores I worked out we would get somewhere around 900-1000. Is that good? Would be definitely get in with that or?
You're getting a few different routes muddled up.

EE - is an application for PR (so once you've got it, you've got the right to stay permanently in Canada, and are work authorised and can work for anybody, no need for a work permit afterwards). But you won't be scoring enough if your score is 423 without a job offer/provincial nomination, as the scores required are higher to be selected and invited to apply for PR.

PNP - also an application for PR. Most streams require a job offer or for you to be working in Canada already. One that doesn't is the Manitoba program I gave you the link to above, which you would potentially qualify for due to your Aunt & Uncle. But that's a paper based PNP application, so you wouldn't be able to use it for the extra points for EE. It would however, still get you PR but via PNP rather than EE.

Work permit - LMIA needed, then you apply for a work permit go over and work on that, it's a temporary visa but would be much quicker if the employer is happy to do the LMIA. Would also possibly give you the points required to then apply for PR via EE.

Does that help clarify it all? I'd suggest you start with a large glass of something and have a good read of the Wiki and forum to try and work out the various visa routes and what may be your best bet.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 21st 2022 at 9:55 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2022, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

You're getting a few different routes muddled up.

EE - is an application for PR (so once you've got it, you've got the right to stay permanently in Canada, and are work authorised and can work for anybody, no need for a work permit afterwards). But you won't be scoring enough if your score is 423 without a job offer/provincial nomination, as the scores required are higher to be selected and invited to apply for PR.

PNP - also an application for PR. Most streams require a job offer or for you to be working in Canada already. One that doesn't is the Manitoba program I gave you the link to above, which you would potentially qualify for due to your Aunt & Uncle. But that's a paper based PNP application, so you wouldn't be able to use it for the extra points for EE. It would however, still get you PR but via PNP rather than EE.

Work permit - LMIA needed, then you apply for a work permit go over and work on that, it's a temporary visa but would be much quicker if the employer is happy to do the LMIA. Would also possibly give you the points required to then apply for PR via EE.

Does that help clarify it all? I'd suggest you start with a large glass of something and have a good read of the Wiki and forum to try and work out the various visa routes and what may be your best bet.
Ok thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.