Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Obtaining a travel document before travel...?

Wikiposts

Obtaining a travel document before travel...?

Old Jul 4th 2010, 4:04 am
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all
Default Obtaining a travel document before travel...?

I posted this question on the bottom of another post, but I thought that maybe by starting another thread I would get a response... Not sure if this is breaking the forum rules, if so, I'm sorry....

Our story in short: sent out our application for PR card renewal in April, when processing time was ~3 months, didn't mark is as URGENT, as we are not travelling until the end of the summer. Since then the processing time increased to 5 months, and there is now not enough time for it to be processed before our holiday. I sent a request for expedited processing two weeks ago, so far I have not heard back from CIC and there is nothing for any of us on the e-cas system.

Hubby is from a non-visa waiver country, so we are looking at potential problems when coming back. To make things even more complicated, we are going to Portugal and Spain, the consulate in neither of those two countries processes travel document applications.

So, WHAT CAN WE DO??? I remember reading once about somebody driving to Buffalo, getting the travel document, driving back to Canada without using it (as you don't need it when entering by land) and then using it when travelling to Europe. Is this a possibility? It's a two-day trip for us to go to Buffalo (10 hours each way), so it's definitely not our first choice, but I feel like we are running out of options here... Does anybody know if this would work? I can't seem to find that post, maybe I just imagined it... Any other suggestions...?

ANY info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, J.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 1:33 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining a travel document before travel...?

Yes this would work, I spoke to CHC about this, if you drive to Buffalo they will issue the travel document on the same day (I think they are closed on Wednesdays). They can also issue the travel document so that it could be used on re-entry if you needed to.

OH has elected to get his in the UK, we are hoping that his will arrive in the next week and I can UPS it to him, (his is the only one not to arrive out of a family of five).
Old Jul 4th 2010, 1:54 pm
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

THANK YOU!!! That's excellent news, I know I could not enjoy my holidays if I had to worry about us not being able to come back...

Do you know if all applicants have to go to Buffalo? It's a hassle for OH to take two days off, if I could bring his passport it would make things a lot easier...
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:55 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo&Alex
THANK YOU!!! That's excellent news, I know I could not enjoy my holidays if I had to worry about us not being able to come back...

Do you know if all applicants have to go to Buffalo? It's a hassle for OH to take two days off, if I could bring his passport it would make things a lot easier...
I don't know for sure but I would 99.9% bet that you have to go and get your own - I mean if you think about it you shouldn't let your own passport out of your sight anyway, and they don't let you open a bank account for someone esle without them being there do they?????
Old Jul 4th 2010, 11:27 pm
Canadians!!

That is true and I would think so too.

However, CIC does routinely make you mail your passport, so clearly they don't expect you to keep an eye on it at ALL times...? Therefore, it occurred to me they may allow for the wife to carry her husband's passport along with a signed application for a travel document... ?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:23 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Therefore, it occurred to me they may allow for the wife to carry her husband's passport along with a signed application for a travel document... ?
This may cause all kinds of grief!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:10 am
Canadians!!

Really? FAMILY ROAD TRIP it is then!

Thanks.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:09 pm

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Reading the instructions everyone over the age of 14 has to do their own....
You have to be there between 8am and 11am, and the line up starts just after 7am, we have renewed WP's twice there.

They are closed on Wednesdays and children are NOT allowed in, they are also very strict about you standing in line. Have your forms filled in and ready to go, it will speed up your process in the line up.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:31 pm
Canadians!!

Children are not allowed in??? What am I supposed to do with them in Buffalo? I am SO GLAD you mentioned this, it would have been a looong useless drive! Have to figure that out now, this is an overnight adventure for us.... I'm assuming this means children don't have to hand in their own passports.

So if you are there before 11 and hand in your application and passport, at what time can you pick it up? Also, would it be possible to split- let's say I go in at 8, hand in everything and then get out, take the kids and hubby goes in with his papers...?

Otherwise, I guess this means we will have to leave our infant and preschooler in Canada while we cross the border. This really makes me anxious....

Also, is it possible to pay at the office or do we have to pay in advance?

Sorry for all these questions, but every time I think I have it figured out my plan goes down the drain...

Thank you so much for the info, j.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:29 am

Children are not allowed in??? What am I supposed to do with them in Buffalo? I am SO GLAD you mentioned this, it would have been a looong useless drive! Have to figure that out now, this is an overnight adventure for us.... I'm assuming this means children don't have to hand in their own passports.

So if you are there before 11 and hand in your application and passport, at what time can you pick it up? Also, would it be possible to split- let's say I go in at 8, hand in everything and then get out, take the kids and hubby goes in with his papers...?

Otherwise, I guess this means we will have to leave our infant and preschooler in Canada while we cross the border. This really makes me anxious....

Also, is it possible to pay at the office or do we have to pay in advance?

Sorry for all these questions, but every time I think I have it figured out my plan goes down the drain...

Thank you so much for the info, j.
First time we went to renew WP's we all went in, second time we went, we were told that the rules had changed and children were no longer allowed upstairs. Luckily we had the DVD player with us, and I took the children back to the car to watch it.

OH was the primary WP holder, so he was given the letter for me to present at the border. I am not sure how this works with travel documents. I think what you are suggesting would work, but seriously get there around 7am, the line up was huge by 8am, at least sixty people.

OH was in the first ten, so his wait was not too bad. Maybe your OH could take your paperwork in and you follow along later to process, I am not sure if this would work or not? The other thing you could do is all of you join the lineup and see what they say?

You will be given the travel document on the same day, they process the paperwork, interview you and then you will be called back for travel document, this is what happened with the work permit. (Take a book to read).

Make sure you check the document checklist to make sure that you have everything required.....

Last edited by Clematis; Jul 6th 2010 at 4:31 am.