Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

obtaining permanent residency abroad

obtaining permanent residency abroad

Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:15 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
SinghPro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 137
SinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the rough
Default obtaining permanent residency abroad

Back in 2002 Andrew had written that obtaining permanent residency abroad
will cause the loss of Canadian PR status. Is that still the case ?


Question 7 (d) on citizenship application refers to any other PR that you
might have. Well if someone applied for PR of another country before they
got Canadian PR and then subsequently(after cecoming Canadian PR) gets the
other counrty's PR as well, HOW will this affect your Canadian PR status or
Citizenship application ?


thank you very much
SinghPro is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:23 am
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: obtaining permanent residency abroad

Not anymore.

But question on citizenship application remains as it has nothing to do with PR status - it has all to do with making and keeping Canada as your home, place of permanent and primary residence. Thus all aspects of your other PR status and where your home is may be reviewed to determine what your intentions and Canadian PR status are.

If you made Canada your only home, never moved to another country and have not established your permanent residency there then you have nothing to worry.


Originally Posted by SinghPro
Back in 2002 Andrew had written that obtaining permanent residency abroad
will cause the loss of Canadian PR status. Is that still the case ?


Question 7 (d) on citizenship application refers to any other PR that you
might have. Well if someone applied for PR of another country before they
got Canadian PR and then subsequently(after cecoming Canadian PR) gets the
other counrty's PR as well, HOW will this affect your Canadian PR status or
Citizenship application ?


thank you very much
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:43 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
SinghPro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 137
SinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: obtaining permanent residency abroad

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Not anymore.

But question on citizenship application remains as it has nothing to do with PR status - it has all to do with making and keeping Canada as your home, place of permanent and primary residence. Thus all aspects of your other PR status and where your home is may be reviewed to determine what your intentions and Canadian PR status are.

If you made Canada your only home, never moved to another country and have not established your permanent residency there then you have nothing to worry.

Andrew, As always thank you for your time.

If you would please calrify "have not established your permanent residency". The applicant was only out of Canada for 75 days in the 4 years preceeding the Citiz application and and only visited that country of other PR for days and stayed at a hotel. So in essensce everything is in Canada, banks accounts, home.

thanks a lot
SinghPro is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:15 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: obtaining permanent residency abroad

Esatablishing residency means in general - becoming officially a legal permanent resident of any country and moving there. But citizenship judge may question your intentions anyway even if you only "landed" in another country but didn't really move there yet. Judge may ask why did you "land" in another country if you already were a Canadian PR? What reasons you had and what your intentions were and are.

It all would be rather a stretch under your circumstances, but better be prepared than sorry.


Originally Posted by SinghPro
Andrew, As always thank you for your time.

If you would please calrify "have not established your permanent residency". The applicant was only out of Canada for 75 days in the 4 years preceeding the Citiz application and and only visited that country of other PR for days and stayed at a hotel. So in essensce everything is in Canada, banks accounts, home.

thanks a lot
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:31 pm
  #5  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: obtaining permanent residency abroad

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
But question on citizenship application remains as it has nothing to do with PR status - it has all to do with making and keeping Canada as your home, place of permanent and primary residence. Thus all aspects of your other PR status and where your home is may be reviewed to determine what your intentions and Canadian PR status are.
I'm not clear on what provision in the Citizenship Act allows "intentions" to be questioned provided the residence requirement (1095 days in 4 years) is met.
JAJ is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:13 pm
  #6  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: obtaining permanent residency abroad

I said "it may be questioned", not that it will be. And I said it because I know cases when in similar circumstances applicants went through hell and long delays in citizenship application process when investigation into their PR status was conducted.

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'm not clear on what provision in the Citizenship Act allows "intentions" to be questioned provided the residence requirement (1095 days in 4 years) is met.
Andrew Miller is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.