Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Obligations re parental sponsorship

Wikiposts

Obligations re parental sponsorship

Old Feb 21st 2016, 2:16 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Obligations re parental sponsorship

This is one of those obscure questions that has probably been done to death elsewhere but I can't find it mentioned anywhere and perhaps one of you out there can help point me in the right direction.
My daughter sponsored me to live in Canada under the parental sponsorship scheme. When she applied she made an undertaking to financially support me for 10 years following PR approval. I believe that this has now been extended for more recent applicants to 20 years.
The question involves whether this obligation ends if I am awarded canadian citizenship or whether the obligation continues into the future regardless of status.
If the obligation ends, then since most people in my position would very probably apply for citizenship, this 20 year thing looks to be simply a smoke screen to appease the anti-immigrant sector.
Anyone know the answer?
Old Feb 21st 2016, 5:36 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obligations re parental sponsorship

Hi

Originally Posted by dave_j
This is one of those obscure questions that has probably been done to death elsewhere but I can't find it mentioned anywhere and perhaps one of you out there can help point me in the right direction.
My daughter sponsored me to live in Canada under the parental sponsorship scheme. When she applied she made an undertaking to financially support me for 10 years following PR approval. I believe that this has now been extended for more recent applicants to 20 years.
The question involves whether this obligation ends if I am awarded canadian citizenship or whether the obligation continues into the future regardless of status.
If the obligation ends, then since most people in my position would very probably apply for citizenship, this 20 year thing looks to be simply a smoke screen to appease the anti-immigrant sector.
Anyone know the answer?
1. Nope, citizenship doesn't change the length of sponsorship. Your daughter's undertaking wasn't to support you, it means that if you go to social assistance, your sponsor is responsible for paying it back.
2. I really don't think it is "a smoke screen to appease the anti-immigrant sector." it is to prevent sponsors bringing in relatives and then dumping them on social assistance. Why should taxpayers have to support a person who has (in most instances) never contributed a penny to taxes or the economy?
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 5:50 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obligations re parental sponsorship

Many thanks for that, it was just one of those obscure thoughts that pops into my head whilst my other half is drowning in Coronation Street. It's either musing like that or gnawing off one of my feet.