Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Oath Ceremony but can not get into Canada to attend

Oath Ceremony but can not get into Canada to attend

Old Feb 9th 2020, 12:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oath Ceremony but can not get into Canada to attend

Originally Posted by BobbyN
Also considering I have been granted citizenship
If you haven’t taken the oath, you haven’t been granted citizenship yet.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

express01 is on a distinguished road

I'm a little lost, If you have Permanent Residency and applied for Citizenship, why you you return to the UK and spend most of your time in SE Asia? sounds like you had no intention of living in Canada.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough

I went back to the UK and then Asia to set up my own business, partnering with my ex employers in Canada. My intention was always to move back once I have things set up and earning more than enough to buy a place in Toronto, and then once I got my citizenship.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I went back to the UK and then Asia to set up my own business, partnering with my ex employers in Canada. My intention was always to move back once I have things set up and earning more than enough to buy a place in Toronto, and then once I got my citizenship.
As long as you are maintaining your PR status then why is citizenship so important if you are choosing to miss oath ceremonies and then having to make sure you have the required days in Canada to apply later on?
Old Feb 13th 2020, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As long as you are maintaining your PR status then why is citizenship so important if you are choosing to miss oath ceremonies and then having to make sure you have the required days in Canada to apply later on?
Because I do not know what the future holds. I am not young enough to be carefree but I am not old enough to think I will sit in one place long enough, especially when I am expanding my client base outside of north america and europe. So I am always wary or the number of days I am in canada in a given year and i rather not have to think about that when I travel for work 80% of my time.

I am awaiting now some communication from CIC - will update here to see how this drama turns out
Old Feb 27th 2020, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Back in the UK and since I still meet residency requirements I am going to submit a PRTD

In the checklist it states "original and valid passport" - which is not something I want to do if this process will take weeks. especially since business meetings can pop up at a week or so notice outside of UK.

Questions
1) Will doing this via the VAC in London provide a way of submitting everything but my valid passport?
2) Does the PRTD have an expiry date?

Thanks
Bobby
Old Feb 28th 2020, 8:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the UK and since I still meet residency requirements I am going to submit a PRTD

In the checklist it states "original and valid passport" - which is not something I want to do if this process will take weeks. especially since business meetings can pop up at a week or so notice outside of UK.

Questions
1) Will doing this via the VAC in London provide a way of submitting everything but my valid passport?

Thanks
Bobby
1. Nope. The passport has to be submitted for the PRTD to be attached to it. But you can get a second UK passport if you travel a lot on business, so that may be worth considering.
2. Generally valid for entry within 6 months.

HTH.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

My PRTD from London was valid for a year (applied Oct 2018)
Old Feb 29th 2020, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Also it was 4 working days. I included a letter asking for urgent processing, and return flight to Canada ticket a week away.
Old Sep 12th 2020, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Just updating this for others

Process for PRTD was painless, went to the VAC in London and submitted everything.

Received passport and PRTD within a week however never returned to Canada due to the pandemic but have made plans to this month.

Again very key to keep a travel history log and maintain tax returns as that helps.

Bobby
Old Sep 19th 2020, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Just updating this for others

Process for PRTD was painless, went to the VAC in London and submitted everything.

Received passport and PRTD within a week however never returned to Canada due to the pandemic but have made plans to this month.

Again very key to keep a travel history log and maintain tax returns as that helps.

Bobby

To be clear I am updating for something that happened in March. I had sorted my PRTD back in March 2020 not at the time of writing this update.
Old Sep 19th 2020, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute

I had the CiC arrange mine for the UK. Is that possible in your situation?