British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   NVQ level 6 Canadian equivalence assessment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/nvq-level-6-canadian-equivalence-assessment-931570/)

Jh88 Mar 7th 2020 6:46 am

NVQ level 6 Canadian equivalence assessment

Hi all! I'm currently in Whistler BC on an IEC, in the process of gathering my documents to apply for PR.

to get the points I need, I'm hoping to have my UK NVQ level 2 in carpentry and or NVQ level 6 in construction site management assessed for equivalence. Whether or not I am able to have these assessed will affect which route I take to apply for PR, so I was hoping to be sure it was possible before beginning my application.

​WES said they were unable to tell me, without me paying and starting the process which I have read can take months, CES said they did not convert NVQs, only degrees. From my research on here I'm led to believe that CES are the better option for NVQs? so I'm a bit confused and wondering if the lady at CES misunderstood what I was asking....

my IEC visa is up in June so I want to get my application in ASAP and didn't want to go barking up the wrong tree waiting months to get points for my NVQs if they're worthless here anyway.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has any similar experience with NVQ equivalency... and if they were successful, which provider they used? Thanks, Joe

christmasoompa Mar 7th 2020 10:09 am

Re: NVQ level 6 Canadian equivalence assessment

Hi, welcome to BE.

NVQ's usually aren't worth any points, no ECA provider routinely assesses them as they are vocational and not academic. But not sure I've heard of a NVQ Level 6 being assessed, which may perhaps be worth some points as it's a much higher level?

Whatever you do, you need to do it quickly, as it can take 4 months to get an ECA, WES is quicker but you'll need to get a wiggle on. Chances of you being able to keep working are already slim if your IEC expires in June, so have a search of the forum and see if anybody has reported success with an NVQ and WES, if so, get it sent off urgently.

What is your current CRS score and what is your occupation?

Best of luck.

Jh88 Mar 7th 2020 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12817349)
Hi, welcome to BE.

NVQ's usually aren't worth any points, no ECA provider routinely assesses them as they are vocational and not academic. But not sure I've heard of a NVQ Level 6 being assessed, which may perhaps be worth some points as it's a much higher level?

Whatever you do, you need to do it quickly, as it can take 4 months to get an ECA, WES is quicker but you'll need to get a wiggle on. Chances of you being able to keep working are already slim if your IEC expires in June, so have a search of the forum and see if anybody has reported success with an NVQ and WES, if so, get it sent off urgently.

What is your current CRS score and what is your occupation?

Best of luck.

Thanks Christmasoompa!

​​​​​​Yep from some of the posts I have searched on here I can only find people who have had level 2 and 3 trade qualifications such as plumbing and electrician qualifications assessed, with those coming back eventually as 1 year high school or technical college diploma level.

With level 6 considered as degree equivalent at home I was hoping it would count for a bit more, even if it was just two year study equivalent instead of one. WES were unwilling to let me know before paying and waiting however long their assessment takes... which seems silly as I'm sure they should be able to give an estimate or even just say if they would be willing to assess my qualification based on previous applications! I'm worried that they just group all NVQs under the same umbrella since it is a vocational qualification, and by the time I find out for sure it would be too late.

I work as a carpenter here in Canada, and at home I was working as a construction site manager for a year before leaving, previous to that as a carpenter.

My points vary quite a bit depending on what I input with regards to my qualifications, without qualifications I'm only at 352 points, with a one year equivalent education I'm at 450, two years puts me at 458 and three years at 480 which I think would be the only safe bet for getting an invite.

I think I would be able to get a job offer from my current employer, but I was really hoping to leave this Job as soon as possible as my work conditions aren't the best! So I'm not sure if using those points would tie me to this job for however long my my application takes?

Also, I'm assuming express entry is the fastest route? With federal skilled worker etc taking longer to process.

Thanks, Joe

Frazzle Mar 7th 2020 8:59 pm

Seeing that you are working in Canada have you considered taking a trades exam?
If you take and pass the exam it should give you the same points as a job offer.
Also you would then be eligible for the federal skilled trades part of express entry. You would only then have to wait for an FST draw.

Stumpylegs Mar 7th 2020 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jh88 (Post 12817483)
Thanks Christmasoompa!

​​​​​​Yep from some of the posts I have searched on here I can only find people who have had level 2 and 3 trade qualifications such as plumbing and electrician qualifications assessed, with those coming back eventually as 1 year high school or technical college diploma level.

With level 6 considered as degree equivalent at home I was hoping it would count for a bit more, even if it was just two year study equivalent instead of one. WES were unwilling to let me know before paying and waiting however long their assessment takes... which seems silly as I'm sure they should be able to give an estimate or even just say if they would be willing to assess my qualification based on previous applications! I'm worried that they just group all NVQs under the same umbrella since it is a vocational qualification, and by the time I find out for sure it would be too late.

I work as a carpenter here in Canada, and at home I was working as a construction site manager for a year before leaving, previous to that as a carpenter.

My points vary quite a bit depending on what I input with regards to my qualifications, without qualifications I'm only at 352 points, with a one year equivalent education I'm at 450, two years puts me at 458 and three years at 480 which I think would be the only safe bet for getting an invite.

I think I would be able to get a job offer from my current employer, but I was really hoping to leave this Job as soon as possible as my work conditions aren't the best! So I'm not sure if using those points would tie me to this job for however long my my application takes?

Also, I'm assuming express entry is the fastest route? With federal skilled worker etc taking longer to process.

Thanks, Joe

WES ignored my level 4 NVQ completely, but counted my level 3 as equal to a semester of post secondary. but I went to college with someone who had their level 4 down as 3 year, our NC (HNC without the higher bit in UK speak) counted as 1 year of college so i got a 1 year college ECA, he got a 2 degree with one being at least 3 in duration ECA - so its a bit of a crap shoot.

However may as well throw it in as its not that expensive, you may get lucky, if not it will at least get you something for high school hopefully.

As stated above personally I'd be challenging the trade exam even if it means travelling out of province or the like - a C of Q added onto your application will add 50 points and make you eligible for an FST draw (last draw was at 357).

I believe processing times are exactly the same whether you go via EE,FSW or FST - only difference is with FST you need to wait for a draw with the lower cut off.

Siouxie Mar 8th 2020 5:24 am

https://www.itabc.ca/apply-apprentic...fication-exams - then apply for FSW (Trades) :)
https://www.itabc.ca/program/carpenter - look under 'challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience'

Jh88 Mar 10th 2020 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12817540)
WES ignored my level 4 NVQ completely, but counted my level 3 as equal to a semester of post secondary. but I went to college with someone who had their level 4 down as 3 year, our NC (HNC without the higher bit in UK speak) counted as 1 year of college so i got a 1 year college ECA, he got a 2 degree with one being at least 3 in duration ECA - so its a bit of a crap shoot.

However may as well throw it in as its not that expensive, you may get lucky, if not it will at least get you something for high school hopefully.

As stated above personally I'd be challenging the trade exam even if it means travelling out of province or the like - a C of Q added onto your application will add 50 points and make you eligible for an FST draw (last draw was at 357).

I believe processing times are exactly the same whether you go via EE,FSW or FST - only difference is with FST you need to wait for a draw with the lower cut off.

Yeh seems kinda annoying the way it seems they assess things seemingly randomly, I've just found a bit on the WES site thats says that they do not assess occupational or trade qualifications, I'm guessing that NVQ's would fall under a trade qualification so wondering if its even worth submitting anything for evalutation...

Thats a relief with the processing times being similar, i'm kinda thinking my easiest option at the moment would be to go the job offer route... do i need to have been with the same employer for a year or more, or can it just be a year or more of skilled work do you know?

christmasoompa Mar 10th 2020 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Jh88 (Post 12818508)
I have considered taking the red seal, but i'm still coming up a bit short on points even with a red seal if i don't get any points for my previous education.

Are you sure about that? You said without qualifications you’re at 352, so with a C of Q you’d be at 402 - way above the points requirement for getting an invite via FST?

Jh88 Mar 10th 2020 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Frazzle (Post 12817529)
Seeing that you are working in Canada have you considered taking a trades exam?
If you take and pass the exam it should give you the same points as a job offer.
Also you would then be eligible for the federal skilled trades part of express entry. You would only then have to wait for an FST draw.

[QUOTE=Siouxie;12817620 - then apply for FSW (Trades) :)
- look under 'challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience'[/QUOTE]

I have considered taking the red seal, but i'm still coming up a bit short on points even with a red seal if i don't get any points for my previous education.

I also worry that going as long as i have without taking exams i may struggle challenging the red seal haha!

Jh88 Mar 10th 2020 7:22 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12818511)
Are you sure about that? You said without qualifications you’re at 352, so with a C of Q you’d be at 402 - way above the points requirement for getting an invite via FST?

Oh yes sorry i didn't think of that haha!

So that makes that a viable option, i'm going to look up and phone my closest red seal certification place tomorrow.

I do worry with taking the red seal however that i might struggle with the difference in metric/imperial measurements and the like... I have no trouble working as a carpenter on site here, however being in a different country and so long out of college, i don't feel particularly confident in my written skills for the examination with different units and terminology used... on site is usually fine, as there is always someone around to translate or explain these differences haha

christmasoompa Mar 10th 2020 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Jh88 (Post 12818515)

So that makes that a viable option, i'm going to look up and phone my closest red seal certification place tomorrow.

I do worry with taking the red seal however that i might struggle with the difference in metric/imperial measurements and the like... I have no trouble working as a carpenter on site here, however being in a different country and so long out of college, i don't feel particularly confident in my written skills for the examination with different units and terminology used... on site is usually fine, as there is always someone around to translate or explain these differences haha

Other option is to get the job offer sorted, that’s also worth 50 points if your employer would do that?

Stumpylegs Mar 10th 2020 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Jh88 (Post 12818515)

I felt exactly the same way for mine and had no experience working in the country.

Truth be told its a multiple choice exam, I believe for yours you may also be supplied/allowed a calculator. I just tried the red seal carpenter trial exam online and got 60% and aside from building a stud wall at home and some concrete forms for walls in the garden I've gone nowhere near carpentry ever. (should also mention some of the maths questions I just took a punt at as didn't have a calculator) - obviously this isn't indicative of a final mark.

The one I sat for my trade was way easier than I'd prepped for. If you have a search round you can most likely find an exam or 3 online.

​​​​​

Siouxie Mar 10th 2020 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jh88 (Post 12818513)

I also worry that going as long as i have without taking exams i may struggle challenging the red seal haha!

It's not Red Seal -- the Red Seal Endorsement goes on your Certificate of Qualification from your Province of choice - a Red Seal endorsement allows you to work in other Provinces without having to requalify for them. You may be able to obtain your Provincial Certificate of Qualification based on your past provable work experience - that is what is called 'challenging' - :).

Jh88 Mar 10th 2020 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12818517)
Other option is to get the job offer sorted, that’s also worth 50 points if your employer would do that?

I think he would be ok with giving me a job offer as long as it doesn't cost him anything! haha. I would have to look into whether or not he needs to get an LMIA for me.

The other problem i can foresee with that is that i have only worked for this guy for 8 months, with the rest of the years skilled work experience being made up of hours on the books for an employment agency. From looking on the immigration website it looks as though i have to have at least a year working for the employer who is giving me the job offer?

Jh88 Mar 10th 2020 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12818524)
I felt exactly the same way for mine and had no experience working in the country.

Truth be told its a multiple choice exam, I believe for yours you may also be supplied/allowed a calculator. I just tried the red seal carpenter trial exam online and got 60% and aside from building a stud wall at home and some concrete forms for walls in the garden I've gone nowhere near carpentry ever. (should also mention some of the maths questions I just took a punt at as didn't have a calculator) - obviously this isn't indicative of a final mark.

The one I sat for my trade was way easier than I'd prepped for. If you have a search round you can most likely find an exam or 3 online.

​​​​​

Thanks thats reassuring, ill give the trial exam a go this evening.

Which trade did you sit an exam for? and how long from booking roughly did it take for you to be able to sit the exam?