i have a similar problem with nvq's...
i finished school at 16 and got 10 gcse's 6 c's 4 d's
went to college and got my 1st nvq level 2
went to work and got my 2nd nvq level 2
joined the fire service and got an nvq level 3

what on earth does that lot count as?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NVQ Level 3 and points question

Originally Posted by hockeymonkey85
hey guys,
i have a similar problem with nvq's...
i finished school at 16 and got 10 gcse's 6 c's 4 d's
went to college and got my 1st nvq level 2
went to work and got my 2nd nvq level 2
joined the fire service and got an nvq level 3

what on earth does that lot count as?
The nvq l3 probably would be classed as a post sec diploma. That's not really the issue for you though - the main issue is going to be proving the full time equivalency. You have to be able to meet the min amount of years education.

Last edited by bodgerx; Sep 2nd 2009 at 6:13 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure if i follow, I was thinking its 2 years for a level 2 and 3 years for a level 3 regardless of whether its on the job or full time at college? which is 7 years futher education? i think i have too many problems with my application to do it on my own.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hockeymonkey85
not sure if i follow, I was thinking its 2 years for a level 2 and 3 years for a level 3 regardless of whether its on the job or full time at college? which is 7 years futher education? i think i have too many problems with my application to do it on my own.
Yep, if you are going to have trouble proving it, pro advice would be wise. It is a little more clear cut if you have a bachelors degree because typically you would have 3 years full time + A-Levels + the rest of school which is enough to get you 20 points for education.

3 years for level three sounds excessive to me. Before I did my degree I did a GNVQ Level 3 in Info Tech and that was 2 years full time (equivalent to 2.5 A-levels). I think even if you did you NVQ level 3 part time you are highly unlikely to be able to claim 3 years for it.

IMO, you are going to have 11 years for your standard 5-16 education, 1 year for your level 2 and 2 years for your level 3, which is 14 years. That should be ok for 20 points. Is that enough for you?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

it's that 'probably' though lol!

hockeymonkey - it's not that easy! the level 2s will 'probably' only be counted as years of study rather than any additional level of certification (you don't say whether it was full time at college?) as a level 2 is secondary level education. Level 3s gained whilst working (either day release or whatever) are notoriously tricky, particularly given that lots are available on day release in a year, depending on your previous experience level, and they are sometimes assessed as being the equivalent to 2 x A levels, depending on whether or not your qualification carries an official 'diploma' title... so depending on exactly what it is, it may be counted as 2 x A level equivalent 'or' diploma level.

So you might get x years full time study and diploma, or it might just qualify for x years full time study, with no additional points for a higher level of education. (Working out the equivalence of 'full time' study for part time or in-service qualifications is utterly beyond me - I know 2 people whose education points have been recalculated and brought down by CIC via this route, one of whom no longer has enough points and has been turned down...)
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

oops, just realised I repeated most of what you had said, and you had said it better! Sorry! Ignore me! <wanders off whistling...> I was never here...
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

So if I am correct,
I have 2 x NVQ level 2 = 1 years further education
2 x level 3 NVQ (one is a certificate and 1 is a diploma) this should therefore = 2 year diploma?
So...
School 5 - 16 = 11
NVQ L2 = 1
NVQ L3 Diploma = 2
Total + 14 years + Diploma
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dinger24
So if I am correct,
I have 2 x NVQ level 2 = 1 years further education
2 x level 3 NVQ (one is a certificate and 1 is a diploma) this should therefore = 2 year diploma?
So...
School 5 - 16 = 11
NVQ L2 = 1
NVQ L3 Diploma = 2
Total + 14 years + Diploma
I reckon that looks good to go. Although from what I understand its trying to establish the equivalent amount of full time hours study to gain the qualification.

Best of luck.

Mel.