NVQ Level 3 and points question

Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default NVQ Level 3 and points question

Hubby has NVQ Level 3, but was gained as an experienced adult - ie. most of the tests/assigments were done during work time (own business) - but he was assessed over a period of 12 months. How on earth do you work this as obviously it did not (due to his vast experience) count as full time study?
it does say "equivalent full time study". Would you count as 2 year diploma (which NVQ Level 3 is I believe) or one year diploma?? or simply nothing

I wish all these education points were simple. Just because he did not attend full time college as a teen, I reckon that he is going to be penalised.

Cheers again,
Mel
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NVQ Level 3 and points question

my take is that it doesn't matter at what age the studies were done as it's not specified in the requirements, but in true CIC fashion it's not clear how they assess 'equivalent'.....but don't take my word for it and we got stung.

I think the key here is gather evidence of the length of time it took etc to build you case with CIC.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spaceace
my take is that it doesn't matter at what age the studies were done as it's not specified in the requirements, but in true CIC fashion it's not clear how they assess 'equivalent'.....but don't take my word for it and we got stung.

I think the key here is gather evidence of the length of time it took etc to build you case with CIC.
Hi Spaceace - Im sorry to hear about what happened. I hope your French is coming along OK and fingers crossed for when you resubmit. What a great attitude you have to it all.

The length of time it took? - does that mean to study for the NVQ because obviously it would take a few years to get it if you were not already experienced (which he is?) - this is the problem I fear, that his actual study time was pretty quick (he enlisted at the college for about one year) but did not attend as we run a business - he completed his assignments and submitted them along with onsite assessments? It really is a pain isn't it when you are borderline with points.

Mel.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I am similar to the OP hubby, I left school at 16, worked from 17 for 23 years and have sat numerous courses such as NVQ level 2 English and Maths (had to provide evidence that I had GCSE level and it was only 4 days rather than sending off to retrieve copies of my school results by snail mail!)
I have NVQ level 3 Management Diploma and Level 3 Management Certificate. All of these and some other bits and bobs, were sat after many years experience in the job, as in I had to have evidence to sit the exam, but how will this be viewed? I am actually in the situation that if they are not counted I do not have enough points, oh and I also need a blooming job as well or I can kick it all into touch!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spaceace
it's not clear how they assess 'equivalent'
The way I understood is that the equivalent would mean whatever the standard time is to complete the course. So for example, if a bachelor degree takes 3 years, but you received it after studying 2 years, you can still count that as 3 years. Similarly, if it took someone 4 years to get the degree, they would still only count 3 years.

Is there a standard time one can achieve NVQ Level 3 in? Perhaps QCDA (http://www.qcda.gov.uk/13406.aspx), Edexcel (http://www.edexcel.com/Pages/Home.aspx) or City and Guild (http://www.cityandguilds.com/uk-home.html) could provide some guidance on that.

Ray
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Just saw this post, may answer the question:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627521

Ray
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dinger24
I am similar to the OP hubby, I left school at 16, worked from 17 for 23 years and have sat numerous courses such as NVQ level 2 English and Maths (had to provide evidence that I had GCSE level and it was only 4 days rather than sending off to retrieve copies of my school results by snail mail!)
I have NVQ level 3 Management Diploma and Level 3 Management Certificate. All of these and some other bits and bobs, were sat after many years experience in the job, as in I had to have evidence to sit the exam, but how will this be viewed? I am actually in the situation that if they are not counted I do not have enough points, oh and I also need a blooming job as well or I can kick it all into touch!
Yep, this relates to us. We also do not quite meet the points if it is classed as a one year course instead of two. My position is also similar I went to college for two years and did Business Finance but it is not classed as a diploma and various secretarial qualifications which these days don't really amount to much. I am studying AAT Cert at home which is going to make me about 1 year so hopefully that will count as a one year diploma. If not then crash course in french for me - my dad is fluent so he maybe of some use.... Hmmm its very annoying isn't it. Let me know how you get on if you have submitted your application. We will not be applying until our business is sold (so could take years yet!!!!).

Best of luck.

Mel.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

blaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant future

Hi strawberry I am asking the same question as you oh has 2 nvq's did them at work, and I have 1 nvq did mine at current job, so where does it put you as regards points?? Why cant they make it a bit more simple to understand. Oh job is on the list of 38 but I think we do not have enough points, but then again not sure how to score the nvq's!!!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi.

We get 65 or 70 points depending on how they view OH NVQ3 - I agree unless you have a specified Degree, or Diploma from college, it can be a bit of a grey area.

Mel.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

We all seem to be similar with this issue, one of my NVQ 3 states it is a diploma? This was sat by supplying evidence of work done over a period of 2 years then sitting in a classroom environment for 2 weeks and completing a number of written evaluations and discussions etc. How this is valued on the points system is critical in my case. I am counting this as a diploma. My school years were some what hap hazard and I went o school from 5 to 16 giving me 12 yrs fulltime education
French isnt an option for me as the nearest I have to french language is ordering a french loaf in tescos!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

hi all
yes you guessed it in the same position
i think a nvq is equal to 2 years
i went to college as a adult for 3 years part time and in the last two of the years i then completed the nvq level3 which was work and classroom related

5-16 = 12 years (school)
3 years college (day release)
i have claimed 14 years and a two year diploma as a min

i am a electrician and my course was class and work related

When the say FULL TIME STUDIE its 15 hours or more. And only through the academic (38 WEEKS)

HOPE THIS HELPS
Old Aug 27th 2009, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by graham and george
hi all
yes you guessed it in the same position
i think a nvq is equal to 2 years
i went to college as a adult for 3 years part time and in the last two of the years i then completed the nvq level3 which was work and classroom related

5-16 = 12 years (school)
3 years college (day release)
i have claimed 14 years and a two year diploma as a min

i am a electrician and my course was class and work related

When the say FULL TIME STUDIE its 15 hours or more. And only through the academic (38 WEEKS)

HOPE THIS HELPS

Hi

I thought that school years 5 - 16 was 11 years in UK ??? not 12?

Have you submitted your application yet.

Good luck for the future if you have.

Mel.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Hi,

Have been working long days . . .
It is 11 years for school
3 years for college with day release

This adds to 14 years and 2 year diploma

Had to apply for rehabilitation as when younger broke a window (9 years ago) and this showed up on the police report and am not deemed rehabilitated.

When all is clear will submit forms

What about you?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Strawberry
Hi Spaceace - Im sorry to hear about what happened. I hope your French is coming along OK and fingers crossed for when you resubmit. What a great attitude you have to it all. Mel.
Thank you, it's coming on nicley. I found a local tutor and I had my first 2 hour lesson on Wednesday....quite enjoyed it actually, but a lot to take in :-)
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by graham and george
Hi,

Have been working long days . . .
It is 11 years for school
3 years for college with day release

This adds to 14 years and 2 year diploma

Had to apply for rehabilitation as when younger broke a window (9 years ago) and this showed up on the police report and am not deemed rehabilitated.

When all is clear will submit forms

What about you?
Can't do anything yet sadly until our Business sells.

Best of luck.

Mel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.