NVQ Education question

Old Jan 6th 2009, 5:44 am
Just Joined

aowen1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NVQ Education question

Hi,

Just starting looking into the immigration process and I'm having problems getting my head around the education points.

My wife has a NVQ Level 3 certificate in Customer Service which took her 2 years to complete, does this equate to:

"Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies"

If it does then we're all good, if not we'll have to be more creative ;o)
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:01 am
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all
Default Re: NVQ Education question

i've been told that NVQs are not recognised in canada
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.. where did you hear this?

Does anyone know anyway to get an official answer regarding this.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Do you meet the other requirements for a Skilled Worker visa? Just checking as otherwise it's a moot point, points alone are not enough!

But if you do, then I would imagine that a NVQ would qualify as a 2 year diploma. The only way to be certain is to check with CIC (if you can manage to get hold of them) or an immigration lawyer/consultant. Or a search of the forum (top right) might well produce a thread in which somebody has asked the same question and got an answer from an expert.

Also, it says she needs the 2 year diploma plus '14 years of full-time studies' - does she have that as if she only completed secondary school that's only 12 years?

But as Jackie said, I don't believe NVQ's are recognised in Canada so that's one thing to be wary of as it may affect how your wife's resume is viewed and what work she can get. This Wiki article may help with that...........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Equiva...cations-Canada

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 7th 2009 at 12:07 am.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:46 am
Just Joined

bazdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi aowen981
I am an NVQ tutor, when we are explaining the level 3 qualification, we equate it to two A levels. There is no direct equivalent because they are vocational qualifications which are assessed on a persons ability in their vocational area such as customer service.
I don't believe they are recognised in Canada from my own research, Sorry!
Hope this helps
Les
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackiewalters
i've been told that NVQs are not recognised in canada

This is correct - they have no idea what a vocational qualification is

I used to be an NVQ assessor in the UK and my old employer did say that the qualification is due to be put into place in the Canadian workplace in the next few years
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

LynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by aowen1981
Hi,

Just starting looking into the immigration process and I'm having problems getting my head around the education points.

My wife has a NVQ Level 3 certificate in Customer Service which took her 2 years to complete, does this equate to:

"Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies"

If it does then we're all good, if not we'll have to be more creative ;o)
Hi

would your wife be the principal applicant or partner? I've just been working on the forms to submit next week. the down-loadable form IMM008 - generic asks for numbers of years of full-time education. As NVQs are pretty standard here I wouldn't be put off the application. I'd go for the trade/apprenticeship tick box...and either 15 or 16 years of education (maybe 15 presuming the course registration was part-time over 2 years?). As others have said, it may be more difficult trying to get a job in Canada on the basis of the NVQ qual, but she's obviously got the owrk experience to back it up, so wouldn't have thought a big problem! Good luck! Lynsey
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies! They have been a great help.

We are still going to apply but we may have to wait a year or two to make sure we meet the requirements. Either that or find an offer of employment.

I have said that 2012 I want to be living in BC. Lets hope we can pull it off.

Tony
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aowen1981
Thanks for all your replies! They have been a great help.

We are still going to apply but we may have to wait a year or two to make sure we meet the requirements. Either that or find an offer of employment.

I have said that 2012 I want to be living in BC. Lets hope we can pull it off.

Tony
Tony - just be aware that the list of 38 'occupations in demand' may well change before you apply. It's the first time the list has ever been produced and isn't set it stone so they're likely to change it at some time. Hopefully your occupation would still be on it but it's just something to bear in mind.

Good luck.