Nursing in Nova Scotia

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 4:20 am
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Nursing in Nova Scotia

Hi all,
can anyone help me with nurse titles and job descriptions in NS. I am about to send my cv out to the Health Authorities in Nova Scotia, but am not sure what type of job to apply for.
At present I am a practice nurse working in a doctors surgery, I used to be a district nurse and prior to that an A&E nurse.
Are there any nurses working out there that can enlighten me.
I don't have any further qualifications other than my RN1 though I am waiting for the results of the Asthma course I did last year. And I have recently done a course on addictions. I am also a CPR instructor.
I have worked in hospitals (cardiac surgery, and general medical) but not recently.
Linda
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in Nova Scotia

I have recently secured a job out there. To be honest, most of my initial enquiries resulted in the answer that I should get my training accredited first and then apply as it can be a long process.

Different employers recruit in different ways. For example, I just contacted the nurses recruiters in Bridgewater (South Shore Health) who were happy for me to come in for an initial interview and offered me a post on the spot....no particular advert....just generally short staffed.

When I contacted Capital Health (Halifax and surrounding areas) they were happy to show me around and in principle said I was employable for them. I then had to look for a job I fancied on their website as all their vacancies are filled via an e-recruitment format. I then applied on-line, had a telephone interview and and offered me the job.

Generally employers expect you to have started the process to get registered although you can work whilst you are waiting to take the exam. Beware though, in NS if you fail the exam you cannot work whilst you wait for the re-sit.

Many practice nurse type jobs are nurse practitioner roles in NS and require masters degree. Your distract nursing and A+E experience will be useful though. There are always posts for A+E nurses in Halifax if you want to work in the city. Many places rotate medical/A+E departments - this was the post I was offered in Bridgewater.

The post I have taken is with Capital Health but at the Eastern Shore hospital which is more rural. They have a handful of beds (medical/intermediate care), a small outpatients staffed mostly by local GPs and this doubles as an A+E. They also run the District Nursing Services. A bit of everything really, I think that this is typical in rural hospitals.

If you want any info on specific jobs feel free to ask. I have not moved over yet but I will do soon if the house sells. I did pick up quite a bit of local info and met alot of recruiters when I was over there though so I will help if I can.

Good luck, Lynn
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:02 am
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nursing in Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I have recently secured a job out there. To be honest, most of my initial enquiries resulted in the answer that I should get my training accredited first and then apply as it can be a long process.

Different employers recruit in different ways. For example, I just contacted the nurses recruiters in Bridgewater (South Shore Health) who were happy for me to come in for an initial interview and offered me a post on the spot....no particular advert....just generally short staffed.

When I contacted Capital Health (Halifax and surrounding areas) they were happy to show me around and in principle said I was employable for them. I then had to look for a job I fancied on their website as all their vacancies are filled via an e-recruitment format. I then applied on-line, had a telephone interview and and offered me the job.

Generally employers expect you to have started the process to get registered although you can work whilst you are waiting to take the exam. Beware though, in NS if you fail the exam you cannot work whilst you wait for the re-sit.

Many practice nurse type jobs are nurse practitioner roles in NS and require masters degree. Your distract nursing and A+E experience will be useful though. There are always posts for A+E nurses in Halifax if you want to work in the city. Many places rotate medical/A+E departments - this was the post I was offered in Bridgewater.

The post I have taken is with Capital Health but at the Eastern Shore hospital which is more rural. They have a handful of beds (medical/intermediate care), a small outpatients staffed mostly by local GPs and this doubles as an A+E. They also run the District Nursing Services. A bit of everything really, I think that this is typical in rural hospitals.

If you want any info on specific jobs feel free to ask. I have not moved over yet but I will do soon if the house sells. I did pick up quite a bit of local info and met alot of recruiters when I was over there though so I will help if I can.

Good luck, Lynn
Hi Lyn
Thanks for the information it was a great help. I have already applied to Nova Scotia Nursing college for assessment to sit the exam.
How are you immigrating? Is it through a work permit or sponsorship or....? We have the forms ready to go to apply for Provincial sponsorship. We are just in the process of collating documents. I am finding it difficult to work out what to do and in which order, when to put the house up for sale etc... How long are your new employers willing to keep the post open for you? Are they setting you a time limit? We would like to move out there - all going well, by the Autumn of this year, but I obviously need to get a job before we can send off the application pack. How have you done it all and how long did it take?
Linda