Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Nurses, Nova Scotia and Provincial Sponsorship

Wikiposts

Nurses, Nova Scotia and Provincial Sponsorship

Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:16 am
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Nurses, Nova Scotia and Provincial Sponsorship

Hi all,
1) Wondering how long the timeline is for nurses who have applied for assessment to the college of nurses of nova scotia. How long did it take to
a) be assessed
b) get exam date from applying
and what were the main differences between British/Canadian nursing and where is best place to buy a book on subject? Or is the one from the CRNE website the best?

2) Anyone applied for provincial sponsorship from Nova Scotia and what are the timelines from first applying to obtaining PR?

How long will Health authorities hold a job for you? (whilst you are going through the emmigration process)

I know everyone's circumstances are different, but just interested to know if I will still be here next Christmas!

Finally, is there anywhere in Nova Scotia that you would NOT recommend to go live???? (and why)
I am not going out for a reccie until late winter early spring and would like to be able to plot a route round the areas I want to go see. At present I am considering-
Halifax - Truro - Annapolis Royal area to see. (and the places in between) I don't intend going too far North unless someone out there can change my mind????!!!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses, Nova Scotia and Provincial Sponsorship

Originally Posted by highlandspirit8
Hi all,
1) Wondering how long the timeline is for nurses who have applied for assessment to the college of nurses of nova scotia. How long did it take to
a) be assessed
About 6 weeks for me but I think this was very quick as I had a really efficient response from my training school. The people at the NS end were really quick too.
b) get exam date from applying
Exam is January, June and October. As soon as your training has been approved you can take it at the next sitting.
and what were the main differences between British/Canadian nursing and where is best place to buy a book on subject? Or is the one from the CRNE website the best?
Lots of psycho/social stuff. Covers everything, acute/psych/obs/paeds/community/health promotion/ethics.

You should get the PREP guide from the CNA (expensive but the only place unless you can get a 2nd hand one). It is really just a sample exam paper bit it helps you to get into the heads of the examiners. I just used this and googled a few things that I didn't know (terminology and drug names mostly)

2) Anyone applied for provincial sponsorship from Nova Scotia and what are the timelines from first applying to obtaining PR?
I am going out on a WP initially and hoping to fast track PR which I have already applied for. I am sure PNP would be ideal but I have already applied through SW route (bad advice from immigration consultant)

How long will Health authorities hold a job for you? (whilst you are going through the emmigration process)
I have told Sheet Harbour Hospital that I will not come out until my house is sold and they are happy with that. They have not put a time limit on it. When I went to look at South Shore Hospital the manager there told me that she had been waiting on a nurse for 18 months who had needed to sort out things before moving over. I guess it depends on how difficult it is to fill the post

I know everyone's circumstances are different, but just interested to know if I will still be here next Christmas!

Finally, is there anywhere in Nova Scotia that you would NOT recommend to go live???? (and why)
Everyone will give you a different answer on this one. It really is personal. What do you want in terms of amenities, weather, shoreline, lakes, size of hospital (and specialities).

I am not going out for a reccie until late winter early spring and would like to be able to plot a route round the areas I want to go see. At present I am considering-
Halifax - Truro - Annapolis Royal area to see. (and the places in between) I don't intend going too far North unless someone out there can change my mind????!!!
Make arrangements to meet the recruitment managers for informal interviews/tours on your reccie. Be persistent to get past secretaries. If you would like some e-mail contacts PM me.
Check out shift patterns as well as specialities available as it varies loads from place to place.
Arrange to spend some time with a realtor to show you around too. It can really help to have local knowledge (schools, what the roads a like a different times of year/which areas are mostly seasonal residents etc.). I can give you a contact for this too if you like

Good luck with the reccie. If you need more info just ask.

Lynn

Last edited by destinationnovascotia; Jan 7th 2008 at 6:22 am.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to add. You might want to check out www.allnurses.com

The Canada section on there has lots of useful info and occasionally you will find someone selling a CRNE PREP guide
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Where you live I guess will depend where you plan to work though nurses are required all over - if you come to Truro it might be worth making the hour trip to Tatamagouche - they have a hospital there and often A&E closes due to lack of staff!

I wouldn't live on the Atlantic side due to the fog - up to a third of the year in some places and we experienced it, we didn't like the mud in Digby when the tide goes out. Up here on the North Shore, Pictou has a pulp mill that spews out fumes over the town and pretty sounding Pugwash has a huge salt mine!

Our Provincial route was Community Identified and took 9 months from application - I'm not sure of the usual NP timeline.

Originally Posted by highlandspirit8
Hi all,