Wikiposts

Nurse wp at airport

Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

lawson44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurse wp at airport

Hi

My wife is taking her nursing exam in June and has a job offer is she passes. The exam results can take from 8 to 12 weeks to arrive which would take us into August, we wanted to be there in August so our son can start school. I wanted to know if we could apply for a work permit at the airport (NS) and could we apply for a 3 year permit.
Also I believe she would require a medical so would we get the results to take with us or do they get sent to London.

Any other info would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 2:00 am
JKM
Just Joined

JKM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurse wp at airport

Hi.
We were in the process of awaiting our P.R in N Ireland, when I got a job offer from a hospital in Toronto. So we applied for work visa,s to the High Comission in London. I was the principle applicant and had to submit a copy of the job offer. I got a work visa for 1 year which can be extended if your P.R is not through. This I found great as I was committed to the Hospital to work full time for the year. My husband got an open work visa which allowed him to apply for any job and the kids got study visa,s
Unless you know the hospital and area you are going to live in. It is best in my opinion to apply for a one year visa. The main applicant also need to undertake a medical prior to the work visa being granted.
best wishes
Mrs JKM
Old Apr 8th 2007, 2:26 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Medicals are sent to CHC London, applicants have no access to them. Apply through London. 3-years WP's are rarely granted, most common is an initial 12-months work permit. Don't push your luck, ask for 24 months, providing of course that job offer is for same period and LMO is also for the same period.

Originally Posted by lawson44
Hi

My wife is taking her nursing exam in June and has a job offer is she passes. The exam results can take from 8 to 12 weeks to arrive which would take us into August, we wanted to be there in August so our son can start school. I wanted to know if we could apply for a work permit at the airport (NS) and could we apply for a 3 year permit.
Also I believe she would require a medical so would we get the results to take with us or do they get sent to London.

Any other info would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

My Work Permit was processed through London in 2005. My employer processed the LMO part of the process. The LMO was faxed to me so that I could include it with my Work Permit application. Once this was processed (just over 4 weeks from memory) I was requested to have medicals including a private x-ray.

Finding and then waiting for an appointment with a Canada-approved GP who conducts the medicals caused a delay of a few weeks. The GPs on the list all seem very booked up. You may want to investigate booking your wife's medical if you have a good idea of timescale. (I applied for my partner Neil's open Work Permit off the back of mine, and he wasn't asked to have a medical).

The GP sent my medical results, x-ray and blood test results to London for processing with my application. The blood test results (including AIDS test) took a little time for them to be sent from the lab to the GP.

Once the London office had all this, they sent me a letter inviting me to obtain the actual Work Permit at the port-of-entry. We did this at Vancouver Airport.

It is at the discretion of the issuing officer how long they will give you on your first Work Permit. I was given 12 months, as have all my colleagues who have come to work with my company on a Work Permit.

Make life easier for yourself, and make sure that you have every bit of paper that the immigration officer might want to see if a handy folder. The immigration office is stressful enough without scrabbling through bags in front of the immigration officer trying to find papers.

My timescale was: accepted job offer Christmas eve 2004, received offer with invitation to obtain Work Permit at port-of-entry 13 April 2005, left UK 20April 2005. That was a stressful week!!

The Work Permit route is by far the quickest way to get working in Canada. However, we sent off everything as quick as we could and it still took us 4 months to get there. This was probably good though, eliminating stuff takes much longer than you ever imagine. The garage was the worse. And we had moved twice in 2 years, and still had too much stuff.

Hope this helps,

Sarah
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help

How would you go about having a medical before being asked. Would the GP wait until asked before sending the results.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Also will my son and I require a medical, I am an Electrician, I may have a job to go to.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:57 am
JKM
Just Joined

JKM is an unknown quantity at this point

The principal applicant ie only your wife has to undertake a medical in the U.K. if you are all coming over on work visa,s. It is only when you get your P.R. request that you all have to have medicals. These can be done in Canada .

You wife does have to have the medical request in hand to attend for a medical by a nominated G.P..As Sarah said this involves bloodwork inc Hep and Aids , as well as CXR. The G.P. has to answer the specific medical questions on the request form. You will then be sent a letter in a matter of weeks to give you approval and to collect your visa,s at the port of entry.
Goodluck
Mrs JKM
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

donwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lawson44
Also will my son and I require a medical, I am an Electrician, I may have a job to go to.
Your wife will need the medical before you leave but cannot do this until the forms arrive from the CHC. If you know which doctor you are going to use they may see you earlier. Otherwise book an appointment for 3.5 - 4 weeks after you submit the WP. This may speed things up.

The rest of you will not need the medicals for a WP only PR.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by donwauchope
Your wife will need the medical before you leave but cannot do this until the forms arrive from the CHC. If you know which doctor you are going to use they may see you earlier. Otherwise book an appointment for 3.5 - 4 weeks after you submit the WP. This may speed things up.

Thanks for that
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Originally Posted by donwauchope

Most places will not let you book your med until youv'e recieved your request from London.
i posted my wp application on 9th march and am still waiting for request. luckily I have had my med booked since job offer in Dec and kept moving the date.
However last time I phoned to move the date i got a jobsworth who stated that I could not rebook until i had my paperwork and at the mo there is a 8 weeks plus wait. When i requested a refund for my deposit as agreed in Dec, the 10th May suddenly became available!!
Just hope my paperwork is here by then.

jo