Wikiposts

NSNP Education requirements

Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

lucyloo86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NSNP Education requirements

Apologies if this has previously been posted but I've had a look and can't find the exact answer I need and was wondering if anyone has experience of this. I have applied for residency through the skilled worker stream of the nova scotia nominee program. I am working full time in halifax and my employer is sponsoring me.

My question relates to the education requirements. It says on the forms that they require 13 years education. I left school with AS Levels so after year 12. Would this still qualify as secondary education? I did do an NVQ level 2 in my first full time job from leaving school but I cannot find the certificate anywhere - is this crucial to have? I have 5 years experience in the field I work in and proof of ongoing training I have completed.

If anyone can give me advice on this I would be very grateful. I hope I have included all of the info needed about the situation.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NSNP Education requirements

Originally Posted by lucyloo86
Apologies if this has previously been posted but I've had a look and can't find the exact answer I need and was wondering if anyone has experience of this. I have applied for residency through the skilled worker stream of the nova scotia nominee program. I am working full time in halifax and my employer is sponsoring me.

My question relates to the education requirements. It says on the forms that they require 13 years education. I left school with AS Levels so after year 12. Would this still qualify as secondary education? I did do an NVQ level 2 in my first full time job from leaving school but I cannot find the certificate anywhere - is this crucial to have? I have 5 years experience in the field I work in and proof of ongoing training I have completed.

If anyone can give me advice on this I would be very grateful. I hope I have included all of the info needed about the situation.
The whole A/AS level thing's been discussed on here a few times. To me, there's a lack of clarity because you do 11 years in education if you leave at 16. If you leave at 18 having done GNVQ/A levels/AS levels, you'll have done 13 years.

Canadian/North American kids doing up to 18 anyway as part of their standard education. Post secondary is after that.

The rules say that they're not supposed to compare the standards of education of the person immigrating against Canadian standards directly. Since A/AS levels are actually post secondary school, they should be post secondary so I believe you should be okay but this doesn't mean that the visa officer will, if you catch my drift.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

lucyloo86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I get what you're saying. There does seem to be a grey area here. I have everything ready to send in just minus the NVQ certificate. I can't decide whether to wait and see if I can locate a copy certificate as this would take me to the 13 years or whether I should send it in and cross my fingers they say yes! Thank you for your reply though.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Cool.. Someone else will be along soon to say that A/AS levels won't be eligible, I'm sure. It's a bit of a grey area in that if you look at the years involved and terms used to describe things, I believe it should fit but apparently most visa officers don't agree (from what I've read). Good luck, whatever happens
Old Nov 20th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

A friend of mine applied through Ns CI scheme, and was refused because she only had GCSE's and a couple of NVQ's - after some confusion, Halifax immigration said NVQ's were not eligible.

Not sure about AS levels though, maybe give Francis Woolfe a call, she will give you more advice!

Good luck
Old Nov 21st 2010, 3:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly for Skilled Worker applications, CIC count A levels as part of your secondary education - if you have a hunt on the forum you'll find previous threads discussing it.

Not sure whether it'll be different for NS PNP though.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

For what it's worth we applied for FSW1 using an NVQ3 as a 2 year diploma equivalent, this was accepted and we've received Med requests.

We evidenced everything thoroughly and also claimed reception to age 16 as 12 years education, that would have given us 72 points, the 2 year diploma exactly 67, obviously I don't know what they scored us?

Without the NVQ we wouldn't have had enough points.