Nova Scotia Questions

Old Feb 12th 2005, 1:00 am
Just Joined

sabden tom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nova Scotia Questions

My partner and i are coming over to Nova Scotia in May for a look around with a view to finding somewhere we could live if our application is successful.

We currently live in a rural village in Lancashire which we enjoy because it's quiet but we're only 30 minutes from Manchester for if we want a bit of city life.

Are there any areas around Halifax/Dartmouth that wouldn't suit us?
This would save time looking there when we come over.

Canada News reports that over 40% of immigrants don't stay in N.S. for more than a year - can anyone out there give me any clues as to why this might be? Are certain immigrants welcome and others not? Is the weather always lousy?

Is there a specific area where it's easier to get jobs?

Apologies if you've already answered these questions before but any help would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone in N.S fancies meeting up between 8 and 20 May we'd be grateful to hear any info you could share.

Thanks a lot

Tom
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nova Scotia Questions

Hey Tom hows it going ...I sent you a PM...hope you got it.
I am in Nova Scotia so we can meet up anytime you are over....just PM me or email me or what ever.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 1:04 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

My father-in-law owns/runs a very nice b&b if you want somewhere to stay? it's in Annapolis Royal. I have attached a link but it's an old one from before he bought it.
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/mcginis/
Old Feb 12th 2005, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Originally Posted by sabden tom
My partner and i are coming over to Nova Scotia in May for a look around with a view to finding somewhere we could live if our application is successful.

We currently live in a rural village in Lancashire which we enjoy because it's quiet but we're only 30 minutes from Manchester for if we want a bit of city life.

Canada News reports that over 40% of immigrants don't stay in N.S. for more than a year - can anyone out there give me any clues as to why this might be? Are certain immigrants welcome and others not? Is the weather always lousy?

Apologies if you've already answered these questions before but any help would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone in N.S fancies meeting up between 8 and 20 May we'd be grateful to hear any info you could share.

Thanks a lot

Tom
Hi Tom,
I have pm you'd, can't believe we are only 2 mins away.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
My father-in-law owns/runs a very nice b&b if you want somewhere to stay? it's in Annapolis Royal. I have attached a link but it's an old one from before he bought it.
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/mcginis/

Thanks a lot for that,much appreciated.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Corky
Hey Tom hows it going ...I sent you a PM...hope you got it.
I am in Nova Scotia so we can meet up anytime you are over....just PM me or email me or what ever.

Thanks Corky, I've sent you a couple of messages.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi Tom,
I have pm you'd, can't believe we are only 2 mins away.

Small world isn't it?! Thanks and Good luck for the 16th.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:28 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I have been back in UK for 1 year after 3 years in Canada, 2 of which in Halifax. We lived in Kingswood, a subdivision about 20 mins outside of downtown halifax. We loved it there, v. rural yet close enough to all amenities. Nice house on 1 acre lot will cost upwards of $200k. We are just form filling at the moment to apply for PR. Long wait but it will be worth it.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

beckington will become famous soon enoughbeckington will become famous soon enough

Hey

Fall River would probably suit you, though I'm sure someone who's sent you a private message has already said that! Halifax area is probably best to be for jobs, though it depends on what you do, of course - it is the capital of NS so generally has more opportunities. As for the weather, it's great! As long as you like slush in the winter, no problem. Seriously, it can be good, can be bad - not as extreme as some other places in Canada. As for immigrants leaving, not sure - possibly due to a lack of immigrants in the first place? Not the most multi-cultural place so there isn't the cultural or social networks/infrastructure in place for people. It's a great place though!

Hope this helps a bit.

Charmaine
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beckington
Hey

Fall River would probably suit you, though I'm sure someone who's sent you a private message has already said that! Halifax area is probably best to be for jobs, though it depends on what you do, of course - it is the capital of NS so generally has more opportunities. As for the weather, it's great! As long as you like slush in the winter, no problem. Seriously, it can be good, can be bad - not as extreme as some other places in Canada. As for immigrants leaving, not sure - possibly due to a lack of immigrants in the first place? Not the most multi-cultural place so there isn't the cultural or social networks/infrastructure in place for people. It's a great place though!

Hope this helps a bit.

Charmaine
Thanks, this helps a lot actually
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Sabden Tom

Likewise we are hoping to do the same in July/August 05, so any info you can give us upon your return would be gratefully received. We also live in a semi rural area of Cheshire, so we are probably in a similar situation with similar requirements.

Corky, any advice from yourself would also be really helpful. If any of you want to PM me that is fine.

All the best

Graham & Pauline

Thanks a lot

Tom
Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gray C
Sabden Tom

Likewise we are hoping to do the same in July/August 05, so any info you can give us upon your return would be gratefully received. We also live in a semi rural area of Cheshire, so we are probably in a similar situation with similar requirements.

Corky, any advice from yourself would also be really helpful. If any of you want to PM me that is fine.

All the best

Graham & Pauline
No problem, i'll let you know as things progress. This thread is turning out to be really useful with lots of good info coming in.Thanks to everyone who's contributing
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

You may wish to post a similar question on the Expat Lifestyle forum (See top left to log in) as you will be able to get further responses from people already living over there.

Cheers

Graham

No problem, i'll let you know as things progress. This thread is turning out to be really useful with lots of good info coming in.Thanks to everyone who's contributing