Nova Scotia ProNom route...

Old Feb 15th 2013, 11:02 am
Canadian Wannabe :-)

BabyG will become famous soon enoughBabyG will become famous soon enough
Default Nova Scotia ProNom route...

Hello,

So this is (one of) the way I'm going to try .... But wanted to hear from anyone who is also trying this way or has recently already gone down this route?

Is it as straight forward as it sounds on their guide?
Community identified route v's Skilled worker route
How long did it take?
Did you attend the Working In fair in Nov 2012 - any joy?

Other general questions:
Can you apply to more than one ProNom programme at the same time?
Can you apply for FSW PR route at the same time as the ProNom route(s)?

Lastly (promise this is the last one).... Does anyone know where they've hidden the NOC skills grid, I can't find it??
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nova Scotia ProNom route...

I fear, BabyG, you are getting a little confused.

If you go down a Provincial Nominee route - no matter what Province - you are, essentially undertaking a two-stage process.

Step 1 - the Province's Department of Immigration makes an assessment of your suitability for their program, accepts your application then rejects it or sanctions it. If they say 'Yes' they will, in effect, tell the Federal department of Immigration that your PR application is to proceed on the basis of the Province's acceptance.

Step 2 - you make a PR application to the Federal government and send it to the office as directed. They will review the application, tie it in with the Provincial paperwork then ask you for security and medical clearances.

You cannot do step 2 before step 1, on a PNP, nor can you make multiple applications under a PNP for different programmes.

However, you could, I believe (although I'm sure Former Lancastrian may be along to correct me) have a Federal Skilled Worker PR application and a step 1 Provincial application running at the same time.

Last edited by AdrianR; Feb 15th 2013 at 3:07 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BabyG
Does anyone know where they've hidden the NOC skills grid, I can't find it??
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...11/Matrix.aspx
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean by 'ProNom'?

But you can submit two applications at once, although you'll be able to apply for the FSW program much sooner than the CIS (you'd have to do at least two visits to NS before you can apply).

So personally I'd just stick with the FSW if you're eligible as you'd probably have PR sooner, plus you can settle anywhere with it whereas with the CIS you'd obviously be expedited to settle in NS. Have you visited NS before?

For future ref, pls put any visa related queries in the immigration section of the forum - if in doubt check the Wiki as it includes a guide to which bit of the forum is for what.

HTH.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

We applied and were successful through the NS CIS route. You'll have to visit at least twice before you can apply, but I think after that the application time is not too bad right now. One thing to bear in mind is, if memory serves, the county we dealt with wouldn't support us through CIS if we could have a viable FSW application. Not sure if that applies everywhere, or if it is still the case.

If you've not been to NS I recommend you visit. It's not for everyone, its very rural, and if you want to live in Halifax its pretty impossible to get there through CIS (though you could live in a county nearby and not be too far away).
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:44 pm

Thank you guys, that was very helpful

I was being too lazy to type the full words but Pr Nominee.
I'm planning a trip over this summer.
And Thank you for the link AdrianR.

I am trying to complete both the FSW PR and NSPN routes, but I fear I will not get all my documents together in time for the FSW (something's are not under my control) and with the NSPN route I wasn't sure which route would be best/more achievable.

I spoke to someone at NS Immigration this week and she said some people who attended the Working In fair in Nov (2012), had been offered a job and have already been approved - so she recommended the SW NSPN route.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 10:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I see. So you're looking at the NS Skilled Worker route with a job offer rather than the Federal one where a job offer isn't required? In which case the May deadline isn't applicable as that's only for the Federal program.

Have you visited NS? As said above, it's not for everyone so if you haven't then I personally wouldn't apply under the PNP until you have - last thing you want is to hate NS but worry about leaving the province that's nominated you for PR.

Remind me, what do you do? If its an in demand skill like nursing or engineering then you might be lucky and meet an employer at Working In, but employers there are usually limited.

Normal abreviation is PNP by the way - there's a list in the Wiki of the ones used on the forum. I though ProNom was your phone autocorrecting something!
Old Feb 16th 2013, 12:26 am

I'm looking at both (NS Skilled Worker PNP and the Federal Program), but as mentioned for the federal one I am concerned I'll not get all the necessary documents back on time and therefore miss the deadline.
(First choice is the federal route - if I'm honest)

Why is the opening date on a Saturday btw

Not been to NS yet, but will be (hopefully) in the summer.... So if this is the way for me, then yes I have a little more time to plan and prep my application.

I'm a careers/educational adviser, currently working at a uni in information and registrations dept.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

We did PNP community identified at the same time as FSW. You can do this - but you pay two lots of fees.

What you can't do is CI stream PNP and Skilled Worker PNP at the same time (if you qualify for SW PNP, then that is the route NS will want you to take).

We only ran the PNP CI as well as FSW because we are in the old batch of FSW and were unlikely to be processed any time soon. See timeline - our PNP is almost concluded and our old FSW is still gathering dust somewhere. Having said that, with two visits to NS the real time runs, I guess, from our first visit to NS in summer 2010.

Whether SW PNP or the new FSW will run any faster for you is anyone's guess - you can hunt down average processing times but as many of us know, these can and do change.

If it were me, and I'd not been to NS before, I would probably get my docs together fast and go FSW.