Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Nomination Program (Economic Stream)

Wikiposts

Nova Scotia Nomination Program (Economic Stream)

Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:44 am
Just Joined

The_Long_View is on a distinguished road
Default Nova Scotia Nomination Program (Economic Stream)

I've been looking into the Nova Scotia Nomination Program. I've done some research into NS and I think it is somewhere I could very happily settle (not least because of the remarkably low property prices), with a view to establishing a business there.

I would not qualify under any of the federal immigration programs. I could meet all the qualifying criteria for the Economic Stream of the NSNP and I think the 6 months work experience placement would give me a valuable insight into business practices in NS and Canada generally. I am aware of the non-refundable outlay ($128,000). Although my management experience is solely governmental, this does meet the qualifying conditions.

I wonder if, in reality, NSNP are looking for experienced business people, who will set up some sort of high-tech enterprise or manufacturing company in NS. Would someone with no previous business experience, but with an enthusiastic outlook and planned commitment to setting up a business in NS be looked on favourably?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:56 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nova Scotia Nomination Program (Economic Stream)

Each application is looked at individually and all factors are analyzed. Fact that applicant meets requirements will not guarantee approval, although well prepared and presented conclusive case is unlikely to be refused.

Originally Posted by The_Long_View
I've been looking into the Nova Scotia Nomination Program. I've done some research into NS and I think it is somewhere I could very happily settle (not least because of the remarkably low property prices), with a view to establishing a business there.

I would not qualify under any of the federal immigration programs. I could meet all the qualifying criteria for the Economic Stream of the NSNP and I think the 6 months work experience placement would give me a valuable insight into business practices in NS and Canada generally. I am aware of the non-refundable outlay ($128,000). Although my management experience is solely governmental, this does meet the qualifying conditions.

I wonder if, in reality, NSNP are looking for experienced business people, who will set up some sort of high-tech enterprise or manufacturing company in NS. Would someone with no previous business experience, but with an enthusiastic outlook and planned commitment to setting up a business in NS be looked on favourably?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your prompt reply, Andrew. I still have two and a half years in which to plan for this, during which time, I ought to be able to put a cogent plan together.

I understand the NSNP vastly reduces the CIC processing time (6-9 months). Do you think it would be worthwhile my using an immigration consultant and, if so, at what stage should I start the consultation and application process?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 2:30 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are not ready to apply in the near future then don't make any plans yet as rules may (and likely will) change within next 2.5 years. It is impossible to guess what and when will change, but changes are needed and expected relatively soon after next election (which will take place in next few months).

Same applies to processing times - fact that for some PNP's total current processing time (PNP + federal PR) may be shorter than in other economic classes doesn't mean that it will be the same 2.5 years (or even 6 months) from now.

As for using a professional - it is the best to start as soon as decision to apply is made, so she or he will guide you through planning and preparation.

Originally Posted by The_Long_View
Thank you for your prompt reply, Andrew. I still have two and a half years in which to plan for this, during which time, I ought to be able to put a cogent plan together.

I understand the NSNP vastly reduces the CIC processing time (6-9 months). Do you think it would be worthwhile my using an immigration consultant and, if so, at what stage should I start the consultation and application process?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Andrew

Thank you. Hopefully 2.5 years will see changes for the better, but I'm sure no one is holding their breath....