Wikiposts

nova scotia LMO/work visa

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

emmsagogo has a spectacular aura aboutemmsagogo has a spectacular aura aboutemmsagogo has a spectacular aura about
Default nova scotia LMO/work visa

not sure how to put this , ihave a job offer in writing in nova scotia as truck trailer mechanic,my future employer has appliied for my LMO [ has been about 6 weeks] still no response a yet from canadian office , both myself and employer wondering on time scale for LMO ,but also wondering what is the time scale waiting for work visa ,i am using four corners imigration who say they will apply for visa as soon as they get the LMO.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

mart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nice
Default Re: nova scotia LMO/work visa

Originally Posted by emmsagogo
not sure how to put this , ihave a job offer in writing in nova scotia as truck trailer mechanic,my future employer has appliied for my LMO [ has been about 6 weeks] still no response a yet from canadian office , both myself and employer wondering on time scale for LMO ,but also wondering what is the time scale waiting for work visa ,i am using four corners imigration who say they will apply for visa as soon as they get the LMO.
hi there, i recieved a job offer for a job in nova scotia, LMO came back within a week. i am doing my own work permit at port of entry mainly because i had to get a medical because i am working with children and it hasnt shown up on the system yet. CIC is virtually impossible to get through to, but once all paper work is done think its fairly quick.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:17 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone advise you about the Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee Program? If you have a job offer you can apply through this to get Permanent Residency (which is obviously much better than being here on a work permit as you have the right to stay permanently as well as enhanced rights with regard to healthcare, schooling etc. Also, if you apply through NSPNP then once you have been "Nominated" by the province (this is the first stage which usually takes about 2-3 months) then you can apply for a work permit with a letter of support from the NS Office of Immigration and you dont even need the LMO. The fact that you have been nominated by the province exempts you from going through the LMO process. The remainder of the NSPNP application would still take a further few months to come through but you would be here on a work permit in the meantime and when it did you would have permanent residency. If you're using an immigration consultancy firm I'm kind of surprised they didnt explain all of this to you.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

mart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nice

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Did anyone advise you about the Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee Program? If you have a job offer you can apply through this to get Permanent Residency (which is obviously much better than being here on a work permit as you have the right to stay permanently as well as enhanced rights with regard to healthcare, schooling etc. Also, if you apply through NSPNP then once you have been "Nominated" by the province (this is the first stage which usually takes about 2-3 months) then you can apply for a work permit with a letter of support from the NS Office of Immigration and you dont even need the LMO. The fact that you have been nominated by the province exempts you from going through the LMO process. The remainder of the NSPNP application would still take a further few months to come through but you would be here on a work permit in the meantime and when it did you would have permanent residency. If you're using an immigration consultancy firm I'm kind of surprised they didnt explain all of this to you.
neither did mine
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:08 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mart2612
neither did mine
And you're not alone it seems. I've heard of quite a few people that have used immigration firms that have either applied through the federal program with a 4 year wait, or gone through the arduous LMO route. In both cases the immigration firms havent told them about the Provincial Nominee Program. That blows my mind because a) it isnt secret b) its dramatically quicker than the federal program, and c) it gives you permanent status instead of temporary (in the case of a WP).

The only conclusion I can come to is that these firms either dont know about it or they are reluctant to promote it because they have to wait for their client's to get a job offer before submitting their application (so they have nothing to sell them straight away) but there I go with my cynical head on again!

So if anyone doesnt know about PNP programs or hasnt been told about them, start here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NSpaul
And you're not alone it seems. I've heard of quite a few people that have used immigration firms that have either applied through the federal program with a 4 year wait, or gone through the arduous LMO route. In both cases the immigration firms havent told them about the Provincial Nominee Program. That blows my mind because a) it isnt secret b) its dramatically quicker than the federal program, and c) it gives you permanent status instead of temporary (in the case of a WP).

The only conclusion I can come to is that these firms either dont know about it or they are reluctant to promote it because they have to wait for their client's to get a job offer before submitting their application (so they have nothing to sell them straight away) but there I go with my cynical head on again!

So if anyone doesnt know about PNP programs or hasnt been told about them, start here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
Is this for Inland applications? When talking to the foreign worker hotline in Alberta I understood that an LMO was required before going through the PNP programme, or at least they advocated the route LMO then TWP then PNP (PR) . I think they said this was the quickest route. (From outside Canada)
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

nixfix is a jewel in the roughnixfix is a jewel in the roughnixfix is a jewel in the roughnixfix is a jewel in the rough

Just to give timescales - employer applied for LMO January this year (via our immigration consultants to make sure the paperwork was correct) - received in 3 weeks, then another 3 weeks for the WP to arrive (could have picked up WP from Airport, but safer option to wait for it to arrive - with the WP in our hand, we were through Immigration at Halifax before our bags had hit the conveyor!!)

Further timeline - arrived here 17th March, got Med requests for our fast-tracked PR application (AOR was May2007) this week Meds booked for May 9th, shouldn't be long now!!

Last edited by nixfix; Apr 25th 2008 at 12:51 pm. Reason: Further timeline added
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Originally Posted by nixfix
Just to give timescales - employer applied for LMO January this year (via our immigration consultants to make sure the paperwork was correct) - received in 3 weeks, then another 3 weeks for the WP to arrive (could have picked up WP from Airport, but safer option to wait for it to arrive - with the WP in our hand, we were through Immigration at Halifax before our bags had hit the conveyor!!)

Further timeline - arrived here 17th March, got Med requests for our fast-tracked PR application (AOR was May2007) this week Meds booked for May 9th, shouldn't be long now!!
Wow! Thats fantastic news.
Could you just clarify which route you are on and what you mean by your fast tracked PR application. Is this the NSNP skilled worker stream?
Thanks Nixfix