Nova Scotia immigration

Old May 28th 2011, 8:54 am
Just Joined

janni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nova Scotia immigration

HI, i am new to this forum, living in the UK and considering seriously the options of nova scotia for my self and my family.
My husband is a joiner by trade, with apprentice papers etc and many many yrs of experience (at present self employed here) myself I am presently running a garden centre, and am also qualified in Agri/horses. we have one daughter aged 11 (so will need to locate near schools) and 2 others that may follow but will have degrees as are at uni & over 20yrs old.
my queries - Nova Scotia seems on the face of it to be far easier to be able to emmigrate to than alot of other provinces throughout canada, is this so ?
(We had started to go down the route of the provincial nominee programme for manitoba)- as i have very old friends there (hiccup is now that they are relocating to PEI) they are no longer able to act as longstanding acquaintances.
My other question is : which route seems to be the best option the temp work permit leading to a job, the nominee programme, or a job offer, if the job offer, are there any good websites anyone can recommend.
and one final question to this thread - do you like it there and are you glad you made the move.
thanks guys
Old May 28th 2011, 10:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia immigration

Out of interest, why doesn't your husband just apply for PR as Skilled Worker?

That would be your easiest and quickest option, but assuming that there is a reason why you've not already done that, you could look at the Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream. It'll take longer and be more complicated than a FSW application (especially as you'd have to visit a couple of times first to build up the all important 'community connections' before you could apply), but would result in PR as well.

Have a quick search of the forum and the Wiki for more info on this route.

Good luck.
Old May 28th 2011, 11:16 am
Just Joined

thanks christmasoompa,
I most likely will apply with my husband as a skilled worker, as he has all the relevant qualifications on paper, I may be wrong,but doesnt he have to have a job already in the offer for this category ?

regards
Old May 28th 2011, 11:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janni
I most likely will apply with my husband as a skilled worker, as he has all the relevant qualifications on paper, I may be wrong,but doesnt he have to have a job already in the offer for this category ?
No, you've misunderstood it. For a category 1 FSW application (no job offer required), the applicant must have at least one year's experience in an eligible occupation - there are 29 occupations on 'the list', and carpentry/joiner supervisor is one of them. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada

For a category 2 FSW application, a job offer is required, but this is usually only used by people who are either already working in Canada or who do not have an occupation on 'the list'.

As your husband's occupation is on 'the list' he can apply now, no job offer required, and get PR. Assuming of course he meet the other criteria i.e. has enough points, passes the medical, etc, of course.

Only thing is that the eligible occupations list is predicated to change in a month or so, so you either need to apply before that if you can (his application would be 'locked in' to the rules in place at the time he applied, so it doesn't matter if they remove his occupation afterwards as long as he's got his application in prior to this), or to hope that his occupation stays on it if they do change it.

HTH.
Old May 28th 2011, 11:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

P.S. just noticed you have two older daughters, one thing to remember is that they will only be considered dependent children until they are age 22 (or older if they are disabled etc). So you'll need to apply before the eldest turns 22 if you want her to go with you.

And age is also 'locked in' when you apply (meaning that even if you apply a month before her 22nd birthday but she's 23 when you get visas, that's fine) but dependency is not - so if she moves in with a boyfriend or similar, she would no longer be considered dependent and wouldn't be able to go with you.

So, make sure you apply before she turns 22, and then tell her not to get in to a common-law relationship!!

Old May 28th 2011, 11:56 am
Just Joined

thanks you have been most helpful, will do yet more reading ! and no doubt have more questions !

We had only visited manitoba, and loved it there (not the scenery) but the way of life and the attitude of the people. It seems NS has just as nice people generally (reading lots of info) but also is much better on the eye

My husband scored eneogh points for their pnp, mainly because of the joiner carpenter qualifications, his only bad point is that he scored 0 on his age being 62! (but a very fit and able). We are currently mortgage free here, with fairly good capital once uk property is (eventually sold), so are aiming to be finacially stable on arrival in Canada, which being realistic we will need.

again thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.
Old May 28th 2011, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

If you want to get into Canada relatively quickly, say within a year or so, in most cases it would help if you got a [temporary work permit], applied to one of the [Provincial Nominee Programs], started a business, or found some other creative avenue.

quoted from the list .

Am I then presuming that it would be quicker if we applied through the pnp or one of us applied for a job in NS for a TWP.

Really we would like a 12 month window before we could get ourselves into a position to relocate, or at least know it is in the pipeline, so we can organise and work to a goal. Hence my confusion !!! as to which would be the best alternative for us.
Old May 28th 2011, 12:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My husband scored eneogh points for their pnp, mainly because of the joiner carpenter qualifications, his only bad point is that he scored 0 on his age being 62! (but a very fit and able).
OK, so the NS Community Identified Stream may not work for you anyway, depending on how old you are and your educational background? The principal applicant cannot be older than 55, and must have at least one year's post-secondary education.

Although, as I said above, that would be much more complicated and take longer than FSW anyway. The only possible problem with FSW is whether or not your husband scores enough points? As he won't get any at all for age.

And unfortunately, the changes that they are due to implement on or around 1st July include changes to the points system, which is supposedly going to favour younger applicants.

Am I then presuming that it would be quicker if we applied through the pnp or one of us applied for a job in NS for a TWP.
That's referring to going over on a TWP, which can be quicker than waiting for PR. But if you applied for PR via a PNP, that's going to take the same amount of time as a FSW application (or longer in some cases, as I said earlier, you'd have to visit NS at least twice first for the Community Identified Stream, and wouldn't be able to apply until you've done so - and then processing would take a further 12-18 months after that, so probably 2 years or so in total).

You could try and go over on a TWP first for speed, but it's far from secure (we've seen many people on the forum be made redundant and have to return to the UK whilst on a TWP) and I can't see why you'd bother if you have a route to PR open to you. A TWP is usually a last resort for those that don't qualify for PR any other way, and by the time you've found an employer prepared to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait for you, and then got the LMO, that can take ages anyway. We've got people on the forum who have been searching a job and LMO for 2 years!

Your call obviously, but if I were you, and your husband scores enough points (check on the CIC website using the test), I'd apply for FSW PR as soon as you possibly can do, before the changes are brought in. Then you know you've got it underway, don't need a job offer for it, will be much more secure when you get there, and it's the easiest route open to you.

You'll need to get cracking if you do want to do that though, not sure you'll be able to get your husband's IELTS result in time, so don't delay.

HTH, good luck.
Old May 28th 2011, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

thanks

excellent advise, and you have made it alot clearer the options open.

can you just do one thing ! i am not totally up on the abbreviations (sorry it must be old hat for for lots of you used to it)
FSW ?
IELTs ?
LMO ?

also can you point me in the direction of finding out what docs are needed to prove the criteria for the carpenter slot - he has been self employed for the last 23 yrs, - i had photocopied accountants/tax calcs for the last 5yrs previously for the mpnp.

The community identified stream can apply to me as a last resort, i am under 55, and have had at least one year post secondary education thats all documented.

We have the CIC forms all filled in already with photos etc inc the imm008 all done, as we had started to go down the manitoba pnp route.
again many thanks
Old May 28th 2011, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

can you just do one thing ! i am not totally up on the abbreviations (sorry it must be old hat for for lots of you used to it)
FSW ?
IELTs ?
LMO ?
Check the Wiki if in doubt on anything - there is an article in there on abbreviations which should make it all become crystal clear. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadian_Abbreviations

also can you point me in the direction of finding out what docs are needed to prove the criteria for the carpenter slot - he has been self employed for the last 23 yrs, - i had photocopied accountants/tax calcs for the last 5yrs previously for the mpnp.
It's all on the CIC website, you can download the guide, forms and document checklist. As he's self-employed he'll need stuff like references from clients, and his accountant, and proof of his company (accounts etc that you've already got, print out from Companies House to show the details of the company). A quick search of the forum will bring up threads from other self-employed people with info on what they used.

We have the CIC forms all filled in already with photos etc inc the imm008 all done, as we had started to go down the manitoba pnp route.
Do make sure you download the FSW forms and checklist though, as they are not exactly the same.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:11 am
Just Joined

hi again,
when you say down load the fsw docs etc i am taking that you mean they can be different for each province, am i correct ?
thanks
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

hi again,
when you say down load the fsw docs etc i am taking that you mean they can be different for each province, am i correct ?
thanks
No, it's not a provincial program, it's Federal, so for all of Canada. So go on to the CIC website and download them from there, not from a Provincial Nominee Program website.

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

gutted !
can only get him to 60 on the points without a job offer - that would give him 70 points ! unless i can teach him to talk french which is pretty unlikely !
any ideas !
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 8:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

gutted !
can only get him to 60 on the points without a job offer - that would give him 70 points ! unless i can teach him to talk french which is pretty unlikely !
any ideas !
That'll be because of his age unfortunately, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I thought that may cause him to fall short on points. That's such a shame.

Looks like your only options are to either try and get PR under the NS Community Identified Stream (search the forum, lots of previous threads about it for more info) with you as the main applicant as your husband is too old, or for one of you to get a job offer.

HTH, good luck.