Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Old Jun 30th 2013, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

fcbayern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Originally Posted by confused_uk
It wouldn't be wise to send the application before you go as you could possibly be rejected for never having been there. Also there's no guarantee how long the application would take so you might have to consider that if it takes longer than a year you'll have to go home & come back again unless you can extend your visa somehow
No no I would never think of sending the application without ever having been to NS. I read that here and could hardly believe that someone would do that to be honest. If that was possible thousands of others would have their NS PR already. Anway....the time span and possibility of having to return to Europe while it's processed is something we are totally willing to accept as long as we end up with PR eventually!

We are now thinking about first checking out basically all regions of NS once we get there for 2-3 weeks and meet up with the RDAs (if they come back in whatever way) instead of settling in Halifax right away to find a job and possibly move to a different region than HRM.

A while back, the NS immigration website stated that more information regarding the new CI stream will be announced on July 5th if I remember correctly. It's not on the website anymore but once they do announce the new info we will adjust our plan accordingly even if that means postponing our plans for a few months.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

I think some people just sent in their applications in a blind panic because this is the route they wanted to use & were worrying about it closing & missing the opportunity.

Good luck with your plans. Just a little heads up about NS if you didn't already know, most of it is pretty rural even towns that you expect to be quite big aren't, therefore depending on what it is you do you might find it hard to get jobs. So if you are over on a working holiday visa & just looking for bar jobs etc then you'll have more luck with that sort of work in the Halifax area.

Last edited by confused_uk; Jul 1st 2013 at 2:05 am.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:22 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

For those that may have been following this thread, I have an update.

My friends today received their NS Community Identified nomination, some 14 weeks after submission of their pack to Halifax. Reasons given for the delays were summer vacations, a staff shortage of sorts and a bit of a glut of submissions.

I can confirm that the pack they sent in was the "mark one" (if you will) pack as discussed earlier in the thread and not the "new" process (whatever that is or will turn out to be).

I can also confirm that the pack did not contain a letter from the RDA (these being defunct at the time of pack submission). The application was nevertheless accepted with letters of support direct from the community- also as mentioned earlier in the thread.

NS Immigration also advised my friends a couple of weeks ago of a couple of minor inconsistencies in the pack which they were able to amend accordingly.

They also advised that the Federal forms eg.IMM008 enclosed in the pack were no longer in effect (having been retired in July - 8 weeks after pack submission). They were accordingly asked to fill in and provide new copies of the forms which I believe they did with all due speed.

The application was approved shortly after thereby demonstrating that their place in the queue was not affected by the need to make amendments.

So all's well that ends well. Now for the federal portion.

This information is provided for those who are in the throes of a similar application, this being under the "old" procedure, forms and rules of engagement. For more details see the earlier posts in the thread.

I hope everyone who rushed an application through also met with success. If your application is still in process then I hope this post reassures you that the wheels do turn if somewhat slowly at times.

As ever: good luck everybody.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:02 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally, a question:

Does anyone have a timeline for NS Community identified PR application (Federal Section) from pack submission to call for passports? Mine (2008/2009) was quick: 6 months via a Canadian office.

My friends are being told to apply via London (even though they live in Canada - its complicated). They are further told the PR processing time by this route is 24 months but I would value real-world experience from this site given the big dfference between my experience and what they are being told.

Does anyone have anything?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wbexpat
Does anyone have a timeline for NS Community identified PR application (Federal Section) from pack submission to call for passports?
Varies by location, I should think.

When I filed in Mexico City, their website was saying 12 months - it ended up being closer to 18 months. At the time, the London (UK) embassy was saying just 9 months and the missus was constantly nagging about that
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:00 am
Truro NS

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Varies by location, I should think.

When I filed in Mexico City, their website was saying 12 months - it ended up being closer to 18 months. At the time, the London (UK) embassy was saying just 9 months and the missus was constantly nagging about that

Oops. I should have been more specific. Let me try again.

Does anyone have a real-world processing time for:
Nova Scotia Provincial Nomination (Community Identified)
Federal pack stage.
London UK processing centre.

(Thanks AdrianR)
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:11 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Oops. I should have been more specific. Let me try again.

Does anyone have a real-world processing time for:
Nova Scotia Provincial Nomination (Community Identified)
Federal pack stage.
London UK processing centre.

(Thanks AdrianR)

1. Well the posted processing time for 80% is 27 months. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ial.asp#europe
2. Open Data shows 26 months for 80% between Apr/12 - Mar/13.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 1:09 pm
Truro NS

And yet mine took 6 months (2008/2009) and another chap is posting on here that his took 7 months (London/2012). 27 months is a bloody long time for a PNP. Especially when Paris (9 months) and Warsaw (8 months) seem so fast.
Oh well I suppose we shall see.
Thanks for the link.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

My friends today received their NS Community Identified nomination, some 14 weeks after submission of their pack to Halifax. Reasons given for the delays were summer vacations, a staff shortage of sorts and a bit of a glut of submissions.

I can confirm that the pack they sent in was the "mark one" (if you will) pack as discussed earlier in the thread and not the "new" process (whatever that is or will turn out to be).

I can also confirm that the pack did not contain a letter from the RDA (these being defunct at the time of pack submission). The application was nevertheless accepted with letters of support direct from the community- also as mentioned earlier in the thread.

NS Immigration also advised my friends a couple of weeks ago of a couple of minor inconsistencies in the pack which they were able to amend accordingly.

They also advised that the Federal forms eg.IMM008 enclosed in the pack were no longer in effect (having been retired in July - 8 weeks after pack submission). They were accordingly asked to fill in and provide new copies of the forms which I believe they did with all due speed.

The application was approved shortly after thereby demonstrating that their place in the queue was not affected by the need to make amendments.

This information is provided for those who are in the throes of a similar application, this being under the "old" procedure, forms and rules of engagement. For more details see the earlier posts in the thread.

I hope everyone who rushed an application through also met with success. If your application is still in process then I hope this post reassures you that the wheels do turn if somewhat slowly at times.

Just out of curiosity do you know what date your friends sent the application, I got an acknowledgement of application received on 5th June & haven't heard anything since.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

Not having come this route 6 years ago myself - anyone have correct information on how this Community Identified Route works if i wanted to pass information on to someone in the UK ?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:54 am
Truro NS

Just out of curiosity do you know what date your friends sent the application, I got an acknowledgement of application received on 5th June & haven't heard anything since.
Just out of curiosity do you know what date your friends sent the application

Sorry not exactly.
I know they were told "up to 10 weeks" and it was more like 12.
Having observed their journey through community identified, and having survived mine albeit a few years ago now, I would say that "no news is good news". Chances are its in the queue and my *guess* is it will be looked at 12 weeks after confirmation of receipt: Sept 6th. So not long to wait now if your application is qualitatively similar to theirs.

Do watch out for the change in Federal Forms. In the interests of being proactive perhaps you could download the new versions of IMM008 et al and fill them in. Francis will ask you to do this and if you do it now while you're waiting it might save a day or two down the road.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Canadian bureauocracy moves at a "steady" pace. But it does move and it does exactly what it says on the tin. If your application ticks all the boxes you will be fine.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks wbexpat, I might get cracking on that form. Do you know if I would have to send the original IMM008, the new one I'm about to redo or both when it comes to sending the federal pack off?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:05 am
Truro NS

Originally Posted by mumof2
Not having come this route 6 years ago myself - anyone have correct information on how this Community Identified Route works if i wanted to pass information on to someone in the UK ?
Im afraid the route has (or is being) retired from service.
My knowledge is therefore obsolete, so take this with a liberal helping of salt.

Community Identified (CI) is a NS Provincial Nomination Program (PNP) to help folks who want to immigrate to Canada that have existing ties to the province.
Examples:
A holiday home, friends, organisations, work placements, school ties etc that mean you are well-known in a community but don't fit into any of the other streams, eg family, work etc.
To apply you need:
1) to fill in a bunch of forms
2) get copies of all the usual documents eg birth cert, passport, etc
3) get letters of support from the community
4) send it all the NS immigration in Halifax
5) once approved get your CI nomination pack from Halifax
6) send it and copies of all your forms to the feds (via wherever you live)
7) pay $, get approved
8) pass medicals, send passports for stamps and
9) turn up

Steps 1-3 take a few weeks for most people
4-6 currently looks like 12-16 weeks
7 might take a while - months to years (sorry)
8-9 is pretty quick: a few weeks

I suggest using the search functions on this site and googling for Nova Scotia Immigration (its a govt site). Like I said the CI stream was supposed to be retired May31 but it apparently got a reprieve until July5. No idea what the deal is with it now but I heard it was being replaced by another program that took employment prospects into account as well as all of the above. I have no further information than that.

Some research on you part should bring forth some more information. Please feel free to post what you find out as the NS-PNP CI stream has proven popular and Im sure users of this site would appreciate an update from someone more in the know than myself. All my info is now quite old.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:11 am
Truro NS

Thanks wbexpat, I might get cracking on that form. Do you know if I would have to send the original IMM008, the new one I'm about to redo or both when it comes to sending the federal pack off?
It will have to be the new one. [edit: and not the old one]
The new ones came into effect July 2013 or thereabouts.
If I recall they have the version and release date in the bottom corner of the forms.

The old ones will be sufficient for Halifax' purposes.

What I would say is if Halifax request clarifications, corrections or amendments to the "old" forms in their possession it might be an idea to embody those changes in the new forms, thus taking advantage of Halifax' error detection.

Halifax really do an excellent job of checking over your forms so there are no glitches when the feds get around to looking at them.

Last edited by wbexpat; Aug 27th 2013 at 1:14 am. Reason: Clarification of which IMM008 to send as marked.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Vwera is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats to your friends! We await our nomination. We had to correct the forms and a few additional requests as well. It took us a month to reply because we were on holiday outside our country but we have now, so we know it will come soon! Have your friends sent their forms off to federal? My friends from the UK got their pr this year, it took about 6 months from federal. Hope this helps. Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.