Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Notarys/Authenticating copy documents

Notarys/Authenticating copy documents

Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Tempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really nice
Default Notarys/Authenticating copy documents

We are just trying to sort out our documents for our 90 day letter and although we have the originals for nearly everything we still need to get copies of our education certificates and passports signed by a notary.

I logged on to the Notary Society and found a local Notary and contacted them for a fee quote and and explanation of what he'll need to do and his response has raised a couple of questions in order to compare his quote:

1) How much did you pay for you own documents to be notarised? This person has quoted about £300 all in as an approximate and I don't have any comparables.

2) For education certificates - did the notary have to contact every board (QCA etc) to check the eligibility of the certificate?

3) Does it have to be a notary to sign and authenticate the copies? Is there a cheaper route?

Thanks for your help
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

What Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant future
Default Re: Notarys/Authenticating copy documents

Shop around !

I went to a local lawyer who is also a notary. The first set of docs cost $25. The second set (for PR) cost nothing because I had just bought a house and paid him to do the conveyancing.

The notary would normally see the original and notarise the copy.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Tempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really nice

Thanks for the feedback!

Do you know if it has to be a notary or if it can be a "Professional" - similar to passport forms? (Accountant, Doctor, etc)

We def have all the originals but he has said he would, in addition, need to contact the exam boards to check that they are real. In a way I can understand this but it also seems rather over the top!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:28 am
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tempest
We are just trying to sort out our documents for our 90 day letter and although we have the originals for nearly everything we still need to get copies of our education certificates and passports signed by a notary.

I logged on to the Notary Society and found a local Notary and contacted them for a fee quote and and explanation of what he'll need to do and his response has raised a couple of questions in order to compare his quote:

1) How much did you pay for you own documents to be notarised? This person has quoted about £300 all in as an approximate and I don't have any comparables.

2) For education certificates - did the notary have to contact every board (QCA etc) to check the eligibility of the certificate?

3) Does it have to be a notary to sign and authenticate the copies? Is there a cheaper route?

Thanks for your help
I would suggest that you go to the get what is called an Apostille for any Certificate which you want to have legalised.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-the-f.../legalisation/