Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Notary signature for common law declaration

Notary signature for common law declaration

Old Mar 7th 2014, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Goldie6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Notary signature for common law declaration

Hi everyone,

I really hope somebody can help with this, I have searched threads and articles on here and on the CIC site and tried to phone the London embassy (no answer) but been unable to find an answer to my query...

We're applying on the FSW stream as British citizens and as we're not married, need to provide evidence of our common law union. This is fine, we have gathered evidence but we just want to know if the evidence alone is acceptable or if the notary of the public signature is necessary for the declaration of oaths?

We have looked into this and to be honest, we are trying to save unnecessary costs as there is a £100 charge for one such signature.

Any advice on this would be gratefully received, we are thinking that to complete the common law union form would be to literally complete it, and so obtain a notary's signature, but if we were sure it is not absolutely necessary, we can save money!

Many thanks!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notary signature for common law declaration

What does the application guide ask for? I would submit whatever they ask you to, if you don't, it could mean starting again once they actually get round to checking it over. If it asks for the form, that's because they specifically want it. At the end of the day, your application and move is likely to cost you £20k or more. Saving £100 is a very small drop in the ocean.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldie6
Hi everyone,

I really hope somebody can help with this, I have searched threads and articles on here and on the CIC site and tried to phone the London embassy (no answer) but been unable to find an answer to my query...

We're applying on the FSW stream as British citizens and as we're not married, need to provide evidence of our common law union. This is fine, we have gathered evidence but we just want to know if the evidence alone is acceptable or if the notary of the public signature is necessary for the declaration of oaths?

We have looked into this and to be honest, we are trying to save unnecessary costs as there is a £100 charge for one such signature.

Any advice on this would be gratefully received, we are thinking that to complete the common law union form would be to literally complete it, and so obtain a notary's signature, but if we were sure it is not absolutely necessary, we can save money!

Many thanks!
The statuary declaration of common law is a required document if you are in a common law relationship. It needs to be witnessed and signed in the presence of a notary so no you can't just fill the form out.
Surly you can find a signature for cheaper than £100, have a search around. Any lawyer can witness for you. I paid $30 but granted that was in Canada

Last edited by tee1; Mar 7th 2014 at 11:01 am.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 11:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You are required to fill out this form and have it notarised.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5409E.pdf

All solicitors with current practising certificates (issued by the Law Society) are entitled to administer an oath, as are Barristers, notaries public, licensed conveyancers and Fellows of the Institute of Chartered Legal Executives. So are certain officials at the High Court and your local County Court. You can even ask a Judge or a Justice of the Peace (Magistrate) to do it for you.

If you phone a local Solicitor and ask them if you can pop in and have the above document witnessed, it will be cheaper than having one drawn up.

Old Mar 8th 2014, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that in the UK they were only allowed to charge a fiver?? (stupid Canadian keyboard don't have sterling symbols!)

Is it different because it is the common-law dec form? When my family got their declarations signed to support my PR app the solicitor only charged a fiver and said that's all they were allowed to charge.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 6:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
I thought that in the UK they were only allowed to charge a fiver?? (stupid Canadian keyboard don't have sterling symbols!)

Is it different because it is the common-law dec form? When my family got their declarations signed to support my PR app the solicitor only charged a fiver and said that's all they were allowed to charge.
It depends on the Notary or Solicitor how much they charge, I don't believe there is a fixed scale per se.

I believe if the OP takes in the form, duly completed (but unsigned), and asks if it can be notarised they are likely to be cheaper than they have been quoted.

If you need £ sign, hold down the 'alt' key and input 0163 on your number pad.

Old Mar 8th 2014, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It depends on the Notary or Solicitor how much they charge, I don't believe there is a fixed scale per se.

I believe if the OP takes in the form, duly completed (but unsigned), and asks if it can be notarised they are likely to be cheaper than they have been quoted.

If you need £ sign, hold down the 'alt' key and input 0163 on your number pad.

Thanks! £££.. I do miss the sterling symbol on the keyboard though! And the @ sign being in the wrong place!..

I wouldn't pay anywhere near the £100 quoted. Especially as you can provide the form yourself and complete it on your own!!
Old Mar 8th 2014, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

£

Huh. Thanks! Wonder why they couldn't have made that a little simpler to remember
Old Mar 8th 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the way we applied ( UK citizens, common law relationship). We got a lawyer to notarise our form. It's up to the lawyer how much they charge - you need to find one who is a notary public or commissioner of oaths. You can't send it unsigned, it has to be done.

I wouldn't pay anywhere near the £100 quoted. Especially as you can provide the form yourself and complete it on your own!!
Burks - the problem is they can't complete it on their own, it needs to be countersigned by a qualified individual before it is complete. I guess that particular lawyer charges £100 for that service!

We were lucky, I emailed several legal firms and one replied saying they would do it if we made a donation to a charity! I think that's the exception rather than the rule though I would phone or email a few firms and see what quotes you get. £100 seems expensive to me for one signature!
Old Mar 9th 2014, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

We've had this done and it cost £5. My understanding is it's the most that can be charged but it's a "per document" charge.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 12:18 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Another one here in the £5 club - and Bella is right, £5 per document. We had two different solicitors do notarised declarations for our family class application, each charged a fiver (one charged £10 because we wanted two copies).

Just call around different lawyers offices until you find one that will do it for cheap. The first one I called wanted £80, had luck with the second one. They were on Fleet St in London, if that helps.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by izzi81
Burks - the problem is they can't complete it on their own, it needs to be countersigned by a qualified individual before it is complete. I guess that particular lawyer charges £100 for that service!!
I was more meaning the lawyer/notary etc. doesn't have to produce the document or anything. It is something that the individual can print themselves and then fill in all their information themselves. That's what I did.

All that is needed is a stamp and signature. It took no more than 3 minutes at the notary public (and that includes 2 minutes for him to find his stamp!)
Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Thank you to everyone who took time out to reply! This has been extremely helpful and looks like it's going to save us a lot of money! I originally emailed three notaries, before I began this thread. Two responded, one fee was £75 + vat and the other was £90, but when my partner phoned one of them to organise an appointment, he said it would be £100 or £170 for both of us???!

After reading posts here about shopping around for lawyers, I emailed a solicitor firm- not specifically a notary of the public ( I think) and attached the common law union form so they new exactly what I was requesting... They are going to charge £5 each!

Thanks again to everyone, your help had been very much appreciated!
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goldie6
Thank you to everyone who took time out to reply! This has been extremely helpful and looks like it's going to save us a lot of money! I originally emailed three notaries, before I began this thread. Two responded, one fee was £75 + vat and the other was £90, but when my partner phoned one of them to organise an appointment, he said it would be £100 or £170 for both of us???!

After reading posts here about shopping around for lawyers, I emailed a solicitor firm- not specifically a notary of the public ( I think) and attached the common law union form so they new exactly what I was requesting... They are going to charge £5 each!

Thanks again to everyone, your help had been very much appreciated!
Glad to hear you didn't go ahead with the 100 quid!
Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Missed the k from knew, apologies. Thanks burks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.