Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

NOTARY PUBILC in the south west of England

NOTARY PUBILC in the south west of England

Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

garethnock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NOTARY PUBILC in the south west of England

Hi, need some advice......

Has anyone used a notary public in the south west on england? I live in the north dorset area - which is also on the boarders of somerset and wiltshire?
So any of these areas would be good. I have found a few different notary publics - but wanted to go on reccomendation.
Also wanted to find the best price. I have seen quotes of around £20 per document.... I have abotu 30 documents to get done!!

So if anyone had got a per hour prices, I would love to know where and how much it was an hour?

Thanks

Gareth
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of
Default Re: NOTARY PUBILC in the south west of England

What are you using the notary for?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:55 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is that Notaries are incredibly expensive. Must it be a notary? Would a solicitor do?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethnock

Has anyone used a notary public in the south west on england? I live in the north dorset area - which is also on the boarders of somerset and wiltshire?
So any of these areas would be good. I have found a few different notary publics - but wanted to go on reccomendation.
Also wanted to find the best price. I have seen quotes of around £20 per document.... I have abotu 30 documents to get done!!

So if anyone had got a per hour prices, I would love to know where and how much it was an hour?

Thanks

Gareth
Having read the ongoing debate about the need to have everything certified/notarised I was in two minds as to whether to bother or not. I sent out a generic BCC email to all the local solicitors in my area asking about certifying/notarising approximately 20 - 25 documents. Talk about varying responses; it seems notarising and certifying are two very different beasts – when it comes to notaries I had quotes back which varied from £76 for the first document followed by £35 for each subsequent, however, for basic certification it averaged at £5 for the first document followed by £3 each thereafter. In the end I went to a nice chap called Stephen Gisby & Co in Bristol and he did the lot for £35 all in – the stamp he used had ‘Public Notary’ on it too which was an unexpected bonus.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joepublic
Having read the ongoing debate about the need to have everything certified/notarised I was in two minds as to whether to bother or not. I sent out a generic BCC email to all the local solicitors in my area asking about certifying/notarising approximately 20 - 25 documents. Talk about varying responses; it seems notarising and certifying are two very different beasts – when it comes to notaries I had quotes back which varied from £76 for the first document followed by £35 for each subsequent, however, for basic certification it averaged at £5 for the first document followed by £3 each thereafter. In the end I went to a nice chap called Stephen Gisby & Co in Bristol and he did the lot for £35 all in – the stamp he used had ‘Public Notary’ on it too which was an unexpected bonus.
Hi joe, I see you have submitted all your docs - have you heard back as to wether the solicitor you used was suitable? bristol is abotu an hour form me - and I would be willign to use this guy for £35 - but want to make sure this is the correct procedure and not different to what i need.

thanks
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

I am trying to find a Notary to notirize a selection of photocopies for my FSW cat 3 - application ''appendix a'' stats that they have to be ''notarized'' and i believe this to be different form it being certified??? is this correct?

thanks
Old Aug 30th 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi joe, I see you have submitted all your docs - have you heard back as to wether the solicitor you used was suitable? bristol is abotu an hour form me - and I would be willign to use this guy for £35 - but want to make sure this is the correct procedure and not different to what i need.

thanks
Our documents went through fine. We're just waiting for a decision now having completed our medicals etc.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:13 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Gareth

We used a local firm of solicitors to certify all our documents and they seemed to go through fine. Having spoken with a couple of Canadian lawyers and a British one, my understanding is that in Canada a Notary is a specific profession. It seems that in England, a Solicitor effectively provides a similar service when they certify something as being a fair and true copy of the original.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
We used a local firm of solicitors to certify all our documents and they seemed to go through fine. Having spoken with a couple of Canadian lawyers and a British one, my understanding is that in Canada a Notary is a specific profession. It seems that in England, a Solicitor effectively provides a similar service when they certify something as being a fair and true copy of the original.

In Canada all lawyers are Notary Publics/Commissioner for Oaths. In England, all solicitors are Commissioners for Oaths but very few are Notary Publics. To certify something, or to have a documents sworn/declared, one only has to be a Commissioner for Oaths. To Notarize something, one has to be a Notary Public. What Canadians refer to a "Notarizing" the rest of the common law world calls certifying (for the most part). To certify, a solicitors is only allowed to charge a maximum of 5 pounds per document. A Notary can charge what they like and, due to the lack of them, their fees are normally very high.

However, if CIC declare that something should be notarized, you will need a Notary Public.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Rivingtonpike. As long as the solicitor is a commissioner of oaths they can sign your documents. We had a lot of documents to certify and it cost us £50 for the lot.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:42 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
In Canada all lawyers are Notary Publics/Commissioner for Oaths. In England, all solicitors are Commissioners for Oaths but very few are Notary Publics. To certify something, or to have a documents sworn/declared, one only has to be a Commissioner for Oaths. To Notarize something, one has to be a Notary Public. What Canadians refer to a "Notarizing" the rest of the common law world calls certifying (for the most part). To certify, a solicitors is only allowed to charge a maximum of 5 pounds per document. A Notary can charge what they like and, due to the lack of them, their fees are normally very high.

However, if CIC declare that something should be notarized, you will need a Notary Public.

We didn't need a notary Public (thank goodness). We simply used a local solicitor at £4.00 per copy. We land as FSW Cat 1 in October.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to find a Notary to notirize a selection of photocopies for my FSW cat 3 - application ''appendix a'' stats that they have to be ''notarized'' and i believe this to be different form it being certified??? is this correct?

thanks
Notarized and certified are not the same thing. What you actually require, only CIC can state.